Top 10 Favorite John Williams Themes from Harry Potter?

TheUlyssesian

In honor of the new set, for a work as abundant and overflowing as Harry Potter, let us count down her favorite melodies and themes and motifs. I couldn't limit myself to 10 so listed 15. And I included videos because some people might call some themes from some other names.

1. Magic motif (Williams used it for all 3 Warner Bros logos)

Represents the concept of magic itself. The most iconic Harry Potter theme. Starts the Hedwig's theme suite.

2. Hogwarts motif (Williams used it for all 3 titles)

Often represents the majesty of Hogwarts. Williams uses for establishing shot of Hogwarts. Part of the Hedwig's theme suite.

3. Mischief/Flying theme

Represents flying or mischief. Part of the Hedwig's theme suite. Of all JW's HP theme, this one conveys a delicious sense of malice.

4. Friendship Theme (Part of Harry's Wondrous World suite)

Seems to represent the trio's friendship. Though could almost be Hermione's theme. It is 2 best uses were both cutaways to Hermoine. The one below when she claps after saving Harry. And the second when she returns in the finale of COS. I think it represents her well and I would like to think it is her theme. It of course famously occupies a large portion of the Wondrous World suite.

5. A Window to the Past Theme (from the concert suite track)

A gorgeous and lovely melody that represents Harry's past catching up with him and as figures from his parents life start re-emerging. Williams used this to terrific effect for the finale and the music was then used for the Goblet of Fire teaser as well.

6. Quidditch Motif (used in The Last Jedi)

This strident and driving theme conveys terrific intensity and desperation. It ups the tempo and the underlying rhythm has tremendous forward momentum and a sense of dramatic action - perfect for the high stakes quidditch games as all manner of cheating ensues.

7. Great Hall Theme

Glorious piece of pageantry and spectacle used memorably for entry into the great hall and also Diagon Alley.

8.  Double Trouble Theme (also used in song form using Shakespeare's lyrics)

I think its non-choral versions are equally alluring and like the mischief theme convey immense malice - a must for this franchise. The choral version was used memorably for the teaser of the film. The best rendition of this theme is below in an extended concert rendition in the end credits - original material written by Williams for the end credits.

9. Harry's theme/Family Theme (Part of Harry's Wondrous World suite)

The motif that Williams uses to represent Harry and his orphanhood and loneliness is a lovely motif and receives its biggest statement for the finale of the first film. Also memorably used in the HWW suite.

10. Voldemort Theme (Also represents the Stone in the first film)

Williams gets great mileage out of this theme of dread. It screams mystery and evil. And is just a three note theme for the most part.

11. Quidditch Theme (Part of Harry's Wondrous World suite)

Another monumental theme of pomp and circumstance, played to thunderous effect when the game begins. It's sad sports team don't use this to enter stadiums.

12. Buckbeak's theme

Soaring melody for the sense of flight.

13. Hogwarts Forever Theme/Gryfinndor Theme (Part of Harry's Wondrous World suite)

Represents the pride of Gryfinndor and the spirit of Hogwarts and could also be doubled as Dumbledore's theme.

14. The Snowball Fight Theme 

I think this is another glorious melody which also conveys great pomp and circumstance. Another one of those one scene themes that Williams carelessly throws off but other composers would have built scores around.

15. Voldemort's Evil theme (5:12 - 5:38)

This theme strikes terror as Voldemort is unseen but his actions are felt in the story. It is memorably used when Quirrel jinxes Harry's broom in the first quidditch match.

Some of your ideas of what themes represent is pretty unusual to say the least... but in particular this:

8 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

6. Quidditch Motif (used in The Last Jedi)

This strident and driving theme conveys terrific intensity and desperation. It ups the tempo and the underlying rhythm has tremendous forward momentum and a sense of dramatic action - perfect for the high stakes quidditch games as all manner of cheating ensues.

That is just the Ludlow's Demise riff from The Lost World

It's turned up in a lot of Williams action music ever since

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Some of your ideas of what themes represent is pretty unusual to say the least... but in particular this:

That is just the Ludlow's Demise rift form The Lost World

It's turned up in a lot of Williams action music ever since

I should maybe take this one off in that case since it did not originate in harry Potter. It is almost like Horner's famous danger motif in that case - appearing in all manner of work.

This isn't a theme either

10 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

7. Great Hall Theme

Glorious piece of pageantry and spectacle used memorably for entry into the great hall and also Diagon Alley.

It's just a one-off melody Williams wrote only for the Great Hall scene, that Christopher Columbus tracked into the Diagon Alley scene, replacing what Williams intended to be heard there.

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

This isn't a theme either

It's just a one-off melody Williams wrote only for the Great Hall scene, that Christopher Columbus tracked into the Diagon Alley scene, replacing what Williams intended to be heard there.

Well then would you not call Flag Parade a theme either or Throne room or Jedi Steps (though Jedi Steps got used in the sequel) or the Aria from the finale of E.T. 

I think a single sequence use can still qualify a melody as a "theme" specially if it is clearly constructed and articulated, and usually expressed more than once one after the other.

And you could argue, another variation of the Great Wall theme occupies this track from to 2:18 to 2:38, specially from 2:29 onwards. That would put the Great Hall theme in 2 sequences, with a variation to boot. And I think you still have to count the Diagon Alley version. Because a film score is a film score. Repeated uses of melodies often defines what the main theme of a film is. So I would say you can count 3 uses of the Great Hall theme definitely making it a theme.

You're completely right, I forgot it appears in two cues.

Still, the only reason it appears in Diagon Alley is due to tracking, so doesn't really count there.

1. Friendship Theme (or Hermione's theme): Such a positive, powerful, and blissful theme, and instantly recognizable. I think this is my absolute favourite theme from the HP series. There are instances where it's played by the full orchestra, as well as a fragile solo flute. I love them all!

2. Hedwig's Theme: Really, the whole thing, section A and B; I don't consider these to be 2 separate themes! No comments necessary. This theme is legendary, along with Star Wars Main Title, E.T.'s Flying Theme, and Raiders March! 

3. Quidditch Theme, along with Hogwarts forever. One of the most powerful themes ever, especially the "winning moment"... as heard in HWW. 

4. Fawkes the Phoenix: CoS is so underrated! This gorgeous piece is a little masterpiece!

5. Double Trouble: The main version with the choir, but also the fantastic instrumental versions, especially the one in "Rainy Nights" and the many variations in "Mischief Managed!"

6. Buckbeak's Theme: A most original theme. 

7. Dobby the House Elf: Love this little clumsy, awkward, adorable theme. Reminds me of a few of the major themes from Star Wars somehow (like "Little People"!). Also love the fact that it's first played by the English horn.

8. Harry's (Family) Theme: Love this in "Reunion with Friends"!

9. Chamber of Secrets: Gothic orchestral music, Sturm and Drang at its best! So reminiscent of JW's own Dracula.

10. The Flying Theme: Love the fact that this makes an appearance in all 3 movies! Along with HT, this is just so HP, so JW! Instantly recognizable. 

30 minutes ago, pete said:

Fawkes has a great theme!

It's a great piece of music but not well suited to the character. I think it is a general warm theme and could have been applied to any concept, doesn't really scream phoenix to me.

And in the key scenes during the climax when it makes an appearance, its broad sound doesn't quite match the scene and the surrounding music. I think Fawkes could have been treated to a different pieces of music given his role in the film.

I love it as music though absolutely. But not as storytelling.

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2018 at 10:27 PM, Jay said:

You're completely right, I forgot it appears in two cues.

Still, the only reason it appears in Diagon Alley is due to tracking, so doesn't really count there.

It appears in 3! Once when after they see Hogwarts, once when they enter the hall and once, and when Hermoine is sorted into Gryffindor.

• 4 weeks later...

Good OP. Personally, I think the majority of best themes can be found in one track:

1 - 2:48 Flightful fantasy, Utter Overjoy, Friendship. Williams really knows how to fill a canvas

2 - 2:22 Probably the best dark, magical, sprite-ish theme Williams has done

3 - 0:00 The Main Theme, very magical and iconic

Other honorable track mentions: Reunion of Friends, Buckbeak's Flight, and

The Iconic IV7 always blows me off the roof here, and at 0:31 you can almost hear a Holst Neptunian bass

On 1/30/2019 at 9:26 PM, Borodin said:

Good OP. Personally, I think the majority of best themes can be found in one track:

1 - 2:48 Flightful fantasy, Utter Overjoy, Friendship. Williams really knows how to fill a canvas

2 - 2:22 Probably the best dark, magical, sprite-ish theme Williams has done

3 - 0:00 The Main Theme, very magical and iconic

Other honorable track mentions: Reunion of Friends, Buckbeak's Flight, and

The Iconic IV7 always blows me off the roof here, and at 0:31 you can almost hear a Holst Neptunian bass

What is IV7?