The John Williams Expanded Score Master Spreadsheet

crumbs

3 hours ago, crypto said:

I'd love to know if that music box that reappears throughout the film was a JW composition too.

The music box plays Debussy’s Clair de Lune:

It’s also got its own SABAM listing for its use in the film:

D0E20BB6-DDFC-4647-9D43-DE927989D424.png

On 12/01/2022 at 9:56 AM, BrotherSound said:

JFK 82:06

Wait, so the OST has less than half of the score used in the film? I thought that score had barely anything unreleased!

43 minutes of unreleased score is quite substantial!

Makes me wonder why none of the labels have touched the Oliver Stone scores after all these years, quite bizarre.

On 15/01/2022 at 3:20 AM, crypto said:

Wait, so the OST has less than half of the score used in the film? I thought that score had barely anything unreleased!

43 minutes of unreleased score is quite substantial!

I think this total may be off a bit because of reuse of some of the cues. For example, ‘The Conspirators’ is 4 minutes long but is apparently used for 14 minutes of the film!

From this thread, it sounds like there’s about 20 minutes in the film unreleased: 

And is there any reason this particular score would be difficult to license/release for one of the labels?

I recall MV saying years back that it was in the works, but it's never seen the light of day.

17 hours ago, crypto said:

And is there any reason this particular score would be difficult to license/release for one of the labels?

I recall MV saying years back that it was in the works, but it's never seen the light of day.

I believe multiple studios and also because the OST album is tied with the source cues.

24 minutes ago, Amer said:

I believe multiple studios and also because the OST album is tied with the source cues.

Interesting. Surely they can just take the score cues from the album and ignore the non-JW songs?

Certainly wasn't an issue for Always (well, there were issues that help up that release, but I don't think they were related to the songs on the OST).

• 3 months later...

image.png

Another title ticked off!

And we can be optimistic about Eastwick now Perseverance has (hopefully) lost the OST licence. And I believe BOT4J is the last Williams MCA OST that hasn't been expanded, so there's a good chance that title might be in the works.

53 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Excluding the Disney stuff, there's only 3 Williams scores left to expand in the 80s!

It's pretty breathtaking that every non-Disney score between The Sugarland Express and The Witches of Eastwick has now been expanded.

And I think Mike did all of them except The Missouri Breaks and Heartbeeps (but I think both releases were comprehensive regardless).

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Updated the total length of music in the film Sabrina to slightly increase it from around 40 minutes to 46:57. I’d missed usage of the song “How Can I Remember?”, music by Williams and lyrics by Alan Bergman and Marilyn Bergman.

According to SABAM, there’s 6:57 of “How Can I Remember?”, 13:11 of “Moonlight”, 9:02 of “Theme from Sabrina”, and 17:50 of other scoring. The most significant cue missing from the album is M36 Catch That Girl, which underscores the finale of the film.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Well fair enough too, why would you bother including the score's finale on your soundtrack album? 

YouTube has a clip with some of this unreleased Sabrina cue, if you’d like a taste of it:

• 11 months later...

As great as a definitive Hook is, I can't help but feel slightly disappointed for another year have past and still not a single Oliver Stone JW score has been expanded.

JFK may take a (long) time. Nixon might be one of the Intradas that are coming next month. And as for BOT4J, maybe it was one of the scores that was supposed to come this BF but got postponed for next year? Probably lots of Tom Cruise photos to approve :huh:

19 hours ago, Edmilson said:

As great as a definitive Hook is, I can't help but feel slightly disappointed for another year have past and still not a single Oliver Stone JW score has been expanded.

JFK may take a (long) time. Nixon might be one of the Intradas that are coming next month. And as for BOT4J, maybe it was one of the scores that was supposed to come this BF but got postponed for next year? Probably lots of Tom Cruise photos to approve :huh:

Doubly bizarre considering Williams regularly praises Stone and their collaboration. You'd think he'd be keen to revisit those scores with fresh remasters. Strange that none have been done yet, and sad that the WB situation means JFK is off the table.

As for the other two, I'd bet good money BOT4J will turn up in July next year for the 35th Anniversary, and hopefully Nixon is one of the two JW Intrada titles in development.

18 hours ago, crumbs said:

Doubly bizarre considering Williams so regularly praises Stone and their collaboration together. You'd think he'd be keen to revisit those scores with fresh remasters. Strange that none have been done yet, and sad that the WB situation means JFK is off the table.

As for the other two, I'd bet good money BOT4J will turn up in July next year for the 35th Anniversary, and hopefully Nixon is one of the two JW Intrada titles in development.

I never knew JW volubly praised Stone previously. That's neat to learn.

I too yearn for the JW/OS scores to get their time in the expanded OST limelight. Nixon would be at the top of my wishlist, as there was something unique (if short-lived) about JW's sound in the mid-90s, especially between Nixon and Sleepers, and I'd love to dive deeper into that world.

30 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

I never knew JW volubly praised Stone previously. That's neat to learn.

He's mentioned Stone more than once as a director he wishes he'd collaborated with again.

I haven't seen any of Stone's films since the JW era. It might've been interesting to hear a JW score for World Trade Center but it seems the film wasn't too good.