The John Williams Expanded Score Master Spreadsheet

don't care about yub nub, lapti nek and the missing sail barge cue

I just want the rest of ROTJ in better sound quality

but even with that the OT is not critical. Star Wars and Empire sound fine to me

The real focus for me now is the Prequels and Indiana Jones

And The Patriot probably has the most unreleased music

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forgive me if a thread like this already exists, but I couldn't find a spreadsheet on the forums which listed all JW's film scores and their release status (expanded, complete, OST, unreleased, etc.)

I recently watched The Reivers on blu-ray (actually really liked the film a lot - the score fits it well). I was not keeping track of the score and comparing it to the CD release, but I am almost 100%

Updated to include Minority Report and Monsignor. Hopefully we can tick a few more off before the end of the year  

24 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I do too!  Even if there’s not much left off, that OST is in dire need of a Matessino remaster.

Well it's a pretty glaring hole at the top of the list (considering Story of A Woman has been vetoed and Jane Eyre is lost) so I'm sure it's high on MM's to do list. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

image.png

I never realized before how few scores were done in the 80's (relatively speaking, compared to the 70's and 90's).

15 total scores

5 of which are SW / IJ

2 scores done by MM for the entire decade!

My crystal ball says either 1 or 2 80's movies will come out this year, probably The River, BOTFOJ, or Always since they're anniversary years.

3 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

image.png

I never realized before how few scores were done in the 80's (relatively speaking, compared to the 70's and 90's).

15 total scores

5 of which are SW / IJ

My crystal ball says either 1 or 2 80's movies will come out this year, probably The River, BOTFOJ, or Always since they're anniversary years.

Williams' 80s are as poorly completed as Goldsmith 90s!

• 5 months later...

On 1/9/2019 at 3:16 PM, ATXHusker said:

image.png

15 total scores

5 of which are SW / IJ

So now that Monsignor is off the list, does this possibly mean that more 80's expanded releases are coming this year?  Certainly trending that way...

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can add at "JAWS 2" that "source music intentionally omitted". As clarified in MM interview John Williams vetoed the inclusion of his source music for the film - like the music playing in the radio when Tina and Eddie are at the beach and the girl is in the water sky and the shark tower scene [besides the "Amity High-School Band" material that was not recorded by Williams and could not be found]. 

As I mentioned before this is the one release where I think MM work was not as perfect as I came to expect. There's too much hiss (while the reportedly much hissier sources for the first Jaws resulted in a cleaner presentation) and the mix of the three tracks sound a bit off to me comparing to the film mono mix and the original album (with the low strings for the Jaws theme kind of burried in the mix while in the movie it was more proheminent [see the ending of "Catching the Cable", "The Charred Body", section of the "The Big Jolt" where the fin is diving] - I guess if this mix was done after he did Jaws 1 (for me one his great achievements in restoration - where MM made the decision to have the low strings Shark theme as the center of the score and hiss was very effectively minimized) he might have decided on a similar approach to Jaws 2, which was traditional 3-track left-center-right, but mixing the channel with the low strings a bit higher and minimizing more the hiss).   

On "JAWS" some source music was also intentionally omitted (the film version of the marching band, not by Williams)

Jesus Christ, Amistad has 46 fucking minutes of unreleased music?!? :blink:

This, along with the prequels and sequels, might have the biggest amount of unreleased material of the ones that didn't got expanded yet (and haven't leaked anywhere else). They could have relased it in 2017 for the 20th birthday, so now maybe we'll have to wait until 2022 for the 25th birthday?

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Jesus Christ, Amistad has 46 fucking minutes of unreleased music?!? :blink:

This, along with the prequels and sequels, might have the biggest amount of unreleased material of the ones that didn't got expanded yet (and haven't leaked anywhere else).

Surprisingly, Angela's Ashes has a fair bit of missing material if this list is accurate. And it was the 20th Anniversary this year too! But of course it had to be yet another Sony score, so we can throw any hope for an expansion in the bin (next to Hook). 

Still only ~27 minutes unreleased though, so Amistad could indeed be the meatiest remaining score (considering War Horse/WOTW/KOTCS have all leaked and Tintin is off limits for multiple reasons).

• 4 months later...
On 12/1/2019 at 10:56 PM, crumbs said:

Still only ~27 minutes unreleased though, so Amistad could indeed be the meatiest remaining score (considering War Horse/WOTW/KOTCS have all leaked and Tintin is off limits for multiple reasons).

This might be a basic question for many of you, but who tends to do the leaking of such scores? Somebody involved with the engineering of the tapes? Someone like an archivist at a studio? It seems like a high risk thing to do, so whoever does it must truly care about getting music out that otherwise might not get out for years or decades..

• 5 months later...