Harry Potter 7CD Collection - SAMPLES and clips discussion

Jay

As I wrote in the Interview thread, It would have been nice to get the music in high resolution 5.1, too, since it is already prepared as such. LOTR did it by including a DVD audio/BLu-ray Audio. Even as a download option it would have been nice for multichannel fans like me.

From the interview, the transition to the HWW alternate finale is still kind of jarring, there's a weird stereo imbalance going on with it being hard right for a few notes, but it's at least not a jump down in quality, I remember it being more muffled on the CoS OST.

On a side note, anyone else downloaded all the samples and made a playlist?
Am I mentally challenged?
I know it's just snippets but… it's like 50 minutes of music and the wait is soooo long :D 

5 minutes ago, redishere said:

I know it's just snippets but… it's like 50 minutes of music and the wait is soooo long :D 

Why download these? I have always access to the Internet.

3 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Why download these? I have always access to the Internet.

To make a playlist on my phone and play them all in a row,

not having to select every single one,

open a new tab and wait for them to load one by one :) 
All of this while I'm doing dishes. 

I'm not sure if it's the samples being better mastered than the leaks, or just me having never actually listened to them with as good headphones as I am now or both, but I'm hearing a ton of richness and subtleties in PS that seem completely new to me even for leaked tracks I've known for years!

I don't know if that has been asked before, but does anyone know if that cue is included? 

I'm a bit confused about the runtime of this and the one of "The Chamber Opens and The Search for Ginny" (3:29) which don't add up really. Or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, Bounty95 said:

I don't know if that has been asked before, but does anyone know if that cue is included? 

I'm a bit confused about the runtime of this and the one of "The Chamber Opens and The Search for Ginny" (3:29) which don't add up really. Or am I missing something?

I think this is mislabeled: could be the cue "Three Note Loop" from HP1, probably the one titled "The Stone" in the LLL Boxset.

3 minutes ago, redishere said:

I think this is mislabeled: could be the cue "Three Note Loop" from HP1, probably the one titled "The Stone" in the LLL Boxset.

Not mislabeled:

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Nope, the film has a newly written version with a new swirling string line and woodwinds. It just wasn't in the session leak but it's on the set. It was planned to be tracked so the cue sheet we have says it was.

What track on the album do you think that is?

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Nope, the film has a newly written version with a new swirling string line and woodwinds. It just wasn't in the session leak but it's on the set. It was planned to be tracked so the cue sheet we have says it was.

Sorry about that, I still have to orientate myself into this HP cue list maze :D 
Can't wait for the boxset to cross the ocean and fall into my lap.

9 minutes ago, Holko said:

Right. That's what I meant. Should've clarified more. Sorry @redishere

9 hours ago, King Mark said:

if it ends up on a 16/44.1 c.d. I' m still  confused why it would sound better. 

I think I explained it properly already.  I can't think of a different way to explain it again

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think I explained it properly already.  I can't think of a different way to explain it again

Sometimes it's hard to grasp for those without experience working in audio. I can't think of any better way to explain it either. But it will undoubtedly be clearer and more detailed. I can hear it already from the clips in the interview. 

7 hours ago, redishere said:

image.png

1 hour ago, Holko said:

did Williams add that himself? that would confirm Ross didn't change any orchestrations whatsoever in the re-recorded cues or "re-composed" anything

Yes, Jay said Williams wrote that new stringline after they already decided to just track it, so it was recorded newly.

For Azkaban, I know "Teaser" must be the original teaser music with the (imo superior) first version of "Double Trouble" with the bigger choir and instrumentation, but I do wonder for which trailer the track after that "Trailer" comes from? There were several Azkaban trailers that followed that never sounded like Williams to me, so this has also piqued my interest regarding which one also used original material from him, and which were "library music"? Or maybe that "Trailer" music was never used?

5 minutes ago, scallenger said:

For Azkaban, I know "Teaser" must be the original teaser music with the (imo superior) first version of "Double Trouble" with the bigger choir and instrumentation, but I do wonder for which trailer the track after that "Trailer" comes from? There were several Azkaban trailers that followed that never sounded like Williams to me, so this has also piqued my interest regarding which one also used original material from him, and which were "library music"? Or maybe that "Trailer" music was never used?

They did feature Williams at the end of one of the theatrical trailers. It sounded like it was just "Reunion of Friends" but maybe they recorded it anew? At 1:20

In regards to what was library music, I do know a lot of what pieces of library music were used in the trailers for the first six films to help eliminate possibilities. I could lay it out more specifically later tonight.

EDIT: I would guess it's either a new recording featuring some of this Reunion of Friends excerpt or it was entirely unused.