Harry Potter 7CD Collection - SAMPLES and clips discussion

Jay

Just now, TSMefford said:

It's fun to talk about! It's always interesting for me on projects, because I come from an editing background as well, so on one hand I totally get some of the things that end up happening. On the other...MYYY MUUUUSIC!!!!

Yeah, same here. My dad is an editor and I inherited a lot of his editing talent. That's why I do those projects where I mute the dialogue and just have the music. I can study the music and get practice editing. And let's not forget the fun.

4 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Oh yeah. Everyone has different philosophies.

I'm totally cool with tracking (as someone who does Editing as well as composing), but I prefer to be involved and help make sure it sounds good. That way if I need to write an overlay or a new opening or something, then I can and it'll help the flow (unlike the above example). If I'm involved I can also see if the Director needs a different intention or something for that moment and maybe revise something (if time allows). I always prefer to write something new, but time is time. If there's no time, then go ahead and track it.

So sometimes it's lazy, but sometimes it can be useful if there's some last minute changes that will ultimately help the film.

You're absolutely right: I'm an editor as well, so I understand it can sometimes happen while working on a scene, and there's nothing wrong with changing things this way, especially if it makes the scene better, or if the original cue doesn't fit the overall mood. Sometimes you realize a track works better for a completely different scene! Anyway, I get what you say: I prefer to be involved to make things flow better. I've seen some terrible frankenstein cut-and-paste of tracked cues.

Just now, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

Yeah, same here. My dad is an editor and I inherited a lot of his editing talent. That's why I do those projects where I mute the dialogue and just have the music. I can study the music and get practice editing. And let's not forget the fun.

I love duplicating film edits. It's very educational and helps grow a lot of skills. Plus, it gives me insight into things that I might be able to help out with in the future from the composer perspective.

Just now, TSMefford said:

I love duplicating film edits. It's very educational and helps grow a lot of skills. Plus, it gives me insight into things that I might be able to help out with in the future from the composer perspective.

Precisely. All you need is the music, good editing software, and a good DVD ripper.

1 minute ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

I'm not an editor really, but I've given my shot at mixing music. I tried using the FYC and OST to make a chronological edit for The Force Awakens, but I wanted to do it without having tonnes of small cues, so I did a lot of blending. It's a a lot of fun, and I admire people who do that professionally. It's not easy, I know.

Just now, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I'm not an editor really, but I've given my shot at mixing music. I tried using the FYC and OST to make a chronological edit for The Force Awakens, but I wanted to do it without having tonnes of small cues, so I did a lot of blending. It's a a lot of fun, and I admire people who do that professionally. It's not easy, I know.

it may not be easy, but it sure is fun. I also love putting in unused cues. My personal favorite was hearing the original "Trapped on D Deck" in context. I can see why they did all that tracking.

1 minute ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Oh yeah. Music editors are geniuses. Even when it's a Frankenstein job, they still manage to make it sound as smooth as it possibly could (most of the time). And even when it isn't, it's usually hidden under sound fx or dialog.

What I love doing especially (which would probably drive people nuts to replicate) is mixing together completely different tracks. I've found tracks that I love the underscore to, but then grab a drum beat from a different track, change the speed and sync them up and it's suddenly like a whole new excellent track.

It's really fun when you're done and you get to listen to it!

Of course, I really don't know what I'm doing, and I don't necessarily have the resources to make a convincing edit. However, I did it and I'm proud when I listen to it.

It's really fun when you're doing and you get to listen to it!

As a composer, when I'm involved in it, it's still fun, even on my own music. But when no one tells me (and does a hack job, typically a picture editor and not a music editor), it's very...cringe-worthy. 

1 minute ago, TSMefford said:

As a composer, when I'm involved in it, it's still fun, even on my own music. But when no one tells me (and does a hack job, typically a picture editor and not a music editor), it's very...cringe-worthy. 

A picture editor should know how to edit music. That's just as important.

On that note, check out some of the custom cover threads on this forum. We have talented picture editors here too!

I'd imagine we do! This seems like the kind of place for them.

13 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Music editors are geniuses. Even when it's a Frankenstein job, they still manage to make it sound as smooth as it possibly could (most of the time). And even when it isn't, it's usually hidden under sound fx or dialog.

8 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

A picture editor should know how to edit music. That's just as important.

Right as hell! I've made some music videos for underground bands (including mine haha), and I couldn't believe how many bands had a bad experience with other videomakers. I don't think I'm a genius, but a lot of editors don't give a damn about rhythm in music while editing. It's baffling.

2 minutes ago, redishere said:

Right as hell! I've made some music video for underground bands (including mine haha), and I couldn't believe how many bands had a bad experience with previous videomakers.
I don't think I'm a genius, but a lot of editors don't give a damn about rythm in music while editing. It's baffling.

There are some music edits I've heard in big films that ignore rhythm too. I suppose they had to, but ugh. 

There's a very jarring one in Super 8. Half-Blood Prince has a messy In Noctem edit during Dumbledore's Speech too.

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

You guys ever seen this small indie flick called Phantom Menace? Which had every bit of horrendous editing released on album by someone who had no clue about the market and the fans?

Hmmm...you know...I think I may have heard about that

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

And its sequel Revenge of the Sith which possibly has the absolutely most repulsive lack of respect for music in its tracking that I ever heard?

These movies sound horrible. Why would they make a sequel?

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

And its sequel Revenge of the Sith which possibly has the absolutely most repulsive lack of respect for music in its tracking that I ever heard?

I still find the tracking in ROTS pretty heartbreaking. Some of the key moments in the entire trilogy are scored with badly tracked and edited music from TPM and AOTC. Absolutely terrible and, sadly, will make for a complete release that has some pretty glaring narrative holes!*

*I'm right in thinking that Williams didn't record music for the tracked sequences, right?

2 minutes ago, Alan said:

I still find the tracking in ROTS pretty heartbreaking. Some of the key moments in the entire trilogy are scored with badly tracked and edited music from TPM and AOTC. Absolutely terrible and, sadly, will make for a complete release that has some pretty glaring narrative holes!*

*I'm right in thinking that Williams didn't record music for the tracked sequences, right?

If they were planned to be tracked from the beginning then probably not. But I have no idea.

3 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

If that's what you think you have not heard Titanic. Jesus Christ that one was bad.

Oh great. I haven't tackled Titanic yet. That one sounds like fun.

7 minutes ago, Alan said:

Duel of the Fates tracked for Yoda v.s. Sidious.

:blink:

Duel of the Fates tracked for a shot of Anakin talking to Jawas.

:eh:

1 minute ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Duel of the Fates tracked for Yoda v.s. Sidious.

:blink:

Duel of the Fates tracked for a shot of Anakin talking to Jawas.

:eh:

Goodness. Did a casual soundtrack fan do the music editing?

Those tracked bits are an accurate reflection of George Lucas' filming process with the Prequels. Just inserting random stuff all over the place.

"We'll fix it in post." :sarcasm:

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Yes, one who actively dislikes Williams' fame and tries to drown him out whenever possible. Ben Burtt.

Ah yes. The same Ben Burtt who drowned out The Kronos Wartet in Into Darkness. I know him well.

1 minute ago, Bilbo said:

Eh, can’t blame a guy for drowning out Giacchino. It should probably be done more often! 😜

Oh don't get me into the Giacchino arguments on here. XD

Just now, Alan said:

Testify!

Image result for testify bart

I know we've drifted off topic so let me at least mention HP here as a comparison. The tracking in COS doesn't feel anywhere near as egregious as the prequels. William Ross might actually have been a god send if his adaption work saved us from 2+ hours of heavy editing. It's the same music as PS, but at least it has been mostly re-worked and recorded. I wasn't aware of much tracking at all in POA so it must have been well done!

Oh yes. Absolutely. CoS has some of the best tracking I've heard.

1 minute ago, TSMefford said:

Oh yes. Absolutely. CoS has some of the best tracking I've heard.

Look forward to recreations coming in once the new set gets to Mordor.

20 minutes ago, Holko said:

It's usual for deleted scenes as a bonus, not when reintegrated into the movie.

Yeah, you’re right. I just didn’t expect an official extended edition to feature the same deleted scenes glued into the movie with badly edited/tracked music 😂

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Attack of the clones' duel of the fates was composed by Williams for the film. But I think that they tracked a phantom menace rendition in part of it, the ending if I remember correctly 

They just tracked a percussion overlay from "Qui-Gon's Noble End".