Harry Potter 7CD Collection - SAMPLES and clips discussion

Jay

20 minutes ago, Alan said:

Regarding the end of POA, I'd imagine that where the LLL ends the Hedwig theme statement is where JW intended the insert to begin. Practically it makes no difference, but it sounds better than saying the new set retains a film edit 😜

It sounds...odd. The OST length sounds better to me, although it may be because that's how I've listened to it for so long.

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

THe film one's fine with the tempo, but the OST one feels more whole and satisfying.

Exactly. It doesn't help that the film / LLL version has a quick fade out to transition to the Insert. We'll all do what we want with it I suppose. Lol.

38 minutes ago, Holko said:

Well, that's part of the buildup for the Stone reveal.

I always associated this the most with the Chamber of Secrets because of the Opening the Chamber cue but I guess it should be the Stone motif as it was written for HP1.

29 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

It’s the deep pockets motif

24708C03-E35C-4C2C-82F9-5D39B6440FAF.jpeg

I love this. So many of the early photoshoots are so silly and awkward

44 minutes ago, Holko said:

And on the LLL it's especially weird since Hedwig's given much more buildup and breathing space after the Nimbus theme (which is great)!

Yeah exactly. No worries though. I can make it how I want it (With the most music possible. Yes I know it's like one second. Leave me alone.) XD.

57 minutes ago, Holko said:

The film one's fine with the tempo, but the OST one feels more whole and satisfying.

58 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

It sounds...odd. The OST length sounds better to me, although it may be because that's how I've listened to it for so long.

I am more used to the OST length, but upon re-listening to it, the tempo change is a little bit clunky,

so I must say I actually prefer LLL's version!

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

But should we really call it the Stone motif? It also plays when Harry sees his money.

The Bling-Bling Theme (extended) [4:20]

2 minutes ago, redishere said:

I am more used to the OST length, but upon re-listening to it, the tempo change is a little bit clunky, so I must say I actually prefer LLL's version!

I mean I'm going to keep both versions, but I'll probably listen to my own edit most. Who knows we'll see. It sounds alright the more I listen to it. So maybe I'll get used to it.

1 minute ago, mrbellamy said:

You know, the later ones weren't much better

78bd641e19f3aac814e53abe942e1b46.jpg

LOL. At least those weren't for use in the films marketing...unless they opted for a very different approach.

34 minutes ago, Once said:

I completely agree. I've always thought that the amount of great new themes and motifs (the Chamber's, Fawkes's, Dobby's, Myrtle's, Lockhart's, the flying car, spiders) could/should have had a much bigger impact, and really they didn't need to rely on the themes from PS at all. If not for the scheduling conflict, I'm sure he would have given us a much fresher score. If only Williams had a time-turner!

Woah, thank you for pointing this out. What a great little motif! Harry Potter really inspired some great music from Williams.

Jay, thank you for all the information you share with us and the amazing work you and your colleagues put into this set.

What do you mean by bigger impact? Myrtle's theme is used whenever it could be used.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea, i really like it alot.  We knew from the sheet music that it was originally intended for the ending of Petrified Colin, and I just hoped that there was some early takes whey they played it, and it wasn't taceted out before the recording began.  Turns out they only played it on the very first take, then taceted it every time afterward.  I am very thankful Mike took the time to check the early takes so we could put it on the set!

Any other alternates it turns up in, perhaps?

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea, i really like it alot.  We knew from the sheet music that it was originally intended for the ending of Petrified Colin, and I just hoped that there was some early takes whey they played it, and it wasn't taceted out before the recording began.  Turns out they only played it on the very first take, then taceted it every time afterward.  I am very thankful Mike took the time to check the early takes so we could put it on the set!

Wow. That's awesome. So glad that it's included! 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Myrtles, Dobbys, Lockharts, Flying Car, and Spiders themes are really all used everywhere they can be.

It's the Chamber theme that should have been used way more, instead of the HP1 stone motif popping up over and over again

Agreed. When I first bought the OST (before seeing the movie), the Chamber theme left me speechless, and I was really surprised when I realized it wasn’t that much featured in the movie.

Yea, which originally made me wonder if it was a theme he didn't compose until later on into the process (like the Past theme from HPPOA), but 3m3 Writing On The Wall was one of the first cues recorded, so it was there all along

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

What do you mean by bigger impact? Myrtle's theme is used whenever it could be used.

Oh, I didn't mean that all of those themes were used wrongly. It's just that Williams often uses themes and motifs 'out of context', so to speak, and I would've preferred in these instances that he had re-arranged his CoS themes rather than PS pieces.

Although as a kid I loved recognizing the music - like hearing the melody for Norbert in the slug scene, or the 'Harry Gets a Wand' melody in the petrified Hermione scene.

3 minutes ago, Once said:

Although as a kid I loved recognizing the music - like hearing the melody for Norbert in the slug scene, or the 'Harry Gets a Wand' melody in the petrified Hermione scene.

Those are all documented here

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27619-finished-chamber-of-secrets-thematic-and-originality-analysis/

It's not perfect, I finetuned it a lot afterwards and for example I did not recognise the Colin Alternate as a motif in those two cues it's in, and I'm currently not planning to bleedin' redo  update it for the new set, but I hope there's at least some tiny usefulness to it.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

It's not perfect, I finetuned it a lot afterwards and for example I did not recognise the Colin Alternate as a motif in those two cues it's in, and I'm currently not planning to bleedin' redo  update it for the new set, but I hope there's at least some tiny usefulness to it.

Well I've definitely bookmarked it for future use. So I will get some use out of it! Thanks for all the effort @Holko

5 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Jay, will we find out more about what was recorded when in the booklets?

No.  And I can't even think of the last specialty label release that listed that stuff.  Maybe Intrada's Alien from 2007 and the blue box from 2008.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

No.  And I can't even think of the last specialty label release that listed that stuff.  Maybe Intrada's Alien from 2007 and the blue box from 2008.

Oh god. I just imagined someone making a playlist in the order of when each cue was recorded. Now wouldn't that be a mess?

2 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

@Jay Out of curiosity, not because I would ever want to do it (because seriously...why?), but is there even enough information available to do that? I'd think not. 

What are you asking, if it is known what date each cue was recorded?  That is known for most scores, yea.  Oddly audio seems to go missing more often than paperwork

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

What are you asking, if it is known what date each cue was recorded?  That is known for most scores, yea.  Oddly audio seems to go missing more often than paperwork

Wow really? That is quite surprising. 

Mike shared when each cue of EOTS was recorded here

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=6800

And like I said the booklets for Alien and Superman The Movie, and probably some other titles, do too

Heck, Jim Ware's been tweeting which day each cue from The Hobbit 1 was recorded

7 minutes ago, Smaug the iron said:

The Philosopher's stone can transform any metal in to gold. So all that gold in Harry's vault is metal that the stone have transform in to gold. 

How did I never think of that???

1 minute ago, Jay said:

And like I said the booklets for Alien and Superman The Movie, and probably some other titles, do too

Heck, Jim Ware's been tweeting which day each cue from The Hobbit 1 was recorded

The 1997 release for Star Wars has recording dates.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Huh. Wow. Cool. So could we theoretically just ask Mike about the dates for HP if we wanted to? Just for the hell of it.

8 hours ago, Incanus said:

That Coca cola piece was already on the OST spliced together with the original music for the Arrival of Baby Harry.

I kind-of liked that edit job and probably wouldn't have minded that being replicated on the new set?

Seems like a nice way of using good extra stuff in the main program, rather than hiding a short track in the bonus section.

So... How crazy am I for thinking that...?

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

What on earth would you even do with that information?

No clue. Just cool to know things sometimes. I didn't realize that it was relatively easy to figure that out and now my curiosity is peaked.

@Jay Once the set is out would you share the dates?