Harry Potter 7CD Collection - SAMPLES and clips discussion

Jay

3 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Fawkes is a phoenix, a creature full of myths and origin mystique, and also power. He's also a very fairy tale character in COS. His theme is appropriately buoyant for a bird, as well as wondrous in its primary theme, can sound fierce like in the finale, and is wonderfully sensitive to the relationship between Harry and Dumbledore that Fawkes stands for in the film.

In short, people saying it's not appropriate are fools.

This is bulletproof-confirmation that the opposite must be true.

Is there a reason why the film version of “Journey to Hogwarts” doesn’t include any percussion? I just noticed it today after watching it.

2.17 there’s clearly some bells going on but in the film none, plus there is a very awkward loop of the trumpet passage at 2.34.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Is there a reason why the film version of “Journey to Hogwarts” doesn’t include any percussion? I just noticed it today after watching it.

2.17 there’s clearly some bells going on but in the film none, plus there is a very awkward loop of the trumpet passage at 2.34.

Awkward loops are what bad music editors do best.

34 minutes ago, Alex said:

I can't make out that loop. This is far from the first time I've been unable to hear supposedly obvious editing blunders, though, and it's starting to make me wonder about my hearing. Is it just me? Or is it possible that this loop actually isn't "very awkward" at all, but something that only the most perfectionist of audiophiles would catch? Not being facetious; I'm genuinely curious.

13 minutes ago, Iron_Giant said:

I can't make out that loop. This is far from the first time I've been unable to hear supposedly obvious editing blunders, though, and it's starting to make me wonder about my hearing. Is it just me? Or is it possible that this loop actually isn't "very awkward" at all, but something that only the most perfectionist of audiophiles would catch? Not being facetious; I'm genuinely curious.

I've heard worse edits

17 minutes ago, Iron_Giant said:

1.18 - It’s just jarring as I’m used to the OST.

Also, I hear percussion in that video, but in the blu-Ray I’ve just watched, I couldn’t hear any. Weird.

But that means you can hear this edit. Can you tell me exactly where it is? Something along the lines of "at the fourth note of the trumpet line, listen for X"? 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Also, I hear percussion in that video, but in the blu-Ray I’ve just watched, I couldn’t hear any. Weird.

Are you saying the fanfare here at 1:18 is the source of the loop at 2:34 in the earlier video?

The trumpet passage between 1.18 and 1.20 is repeated immediately after. It’s not repeated on the OST (see 2.33 “Platform 9 3/4 and Journey to Hogwarts on the album).

(The loop is in the film)

Just now, Iron_Giant said:

I hate to ask these kinds of questions if they make me sound like a total noob, but I just want to learn!

No problem!

If I was at my workstation I'd grab some segments and post waveform comparisons for you if that would help.

1 minute ago, Alex said:

The trumpet passage between 1.18 and 1.20 is repeated immediately after. It’s not repeated on the OST (see 2.33 “Platform 9 3/4 and Journey to Hogwarts on the album)

Ah! I don't have that album in front of me, but I can see now how loops like that could be caught.

2 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

No problem!

If I was at my workstation I'd grab some segments and post waveform comparisons for you if that would help.

No need to go to that kind of effort for me! At that level of forensic work, probably even the cleanest edits would be traceable. I was just under the impression that all the examples of poor edits I've seen over the past few years but could never catch with my own ears were readily audible to everyone else. And surely plenty of them were. But there might be lots of cases too where the existence of a music loop was only discovered after comparing different versions of the same track.

In the track, "The Diary", in the very beginning there's this really eerie section of music and the only way I can describe it is howling winds playing a melody. Here's a video from the recording sessions:

it starts about 00:16 and ends at about 01:40. 

Can anybody tell me what instrument it is? I've been wondering that for years.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Wish these directors would edit their damn movies to the music.

They wanted to cut this boat sequence down, but didn't have the heart to shorten the score. But apparently they just had to add that one fucking second that required a loop.

57 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

In the track, "The Diary", in the very beginning there's this really eerie section of music and the only way I can describe it is howling winds playing a melody. Here's a video from the recording sessions:

it starts about 00:16 and ends at about 01:40. 

God that's a lazy and horrendous edit. Can't wait to do proper recreations of these tracked cues!

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

They wanted to cut this boat sequence down, but didn't have the heart to shorten the score. But apparently they just had to add that one fucking second that required a loop.

God that's a lazy and horrendous edit. Can't wait to do proper recreations of these tracked cues!

Oh yeah it's terrible. I'm not defending it. I'm just asking about the instrument that plays that weird melody.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

They wanted to cut this boat sequence down, but didn't have the heart to cut the score down. But apparently they just had to add that one fucking second that required a loop.

Would have been a tragedy. The scene is iconic.

The filmmakers should cross themselves when they take Williams name. He made the first film work.

25 minutes ago, Holko said:

Oh damn that IS a poor edit. 

2 hours ago, Alex said:

2.17 there’s clearly some bells going on but in the film none

I just checked and it is present in the film, however it's toned down a bit and only present on a few channels.

1 hour ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

In the track, "The Diary", in the very beginning there's this really eerie section of music and the only way I can describe it is howling winds playing a melody.

It's a synthesizer. I have been trying to recreate that organic sound with my Roland many times - didn't really work.

Williams used that one throughout the first half of the 2000s.

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

Agreed! Listening to HP1 now and it's the first time I'm really struck by the (thematic) strengths of this score. Plus, tidbits like the 'earwax music' and Gryffindor winning the cup make me really emotional, I don't know what's going on with me.

I can relate.

28 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I found at one point what synthesizer keyboard he primarily uses; I forgot what it was though.

His site says he’s the one who did the Celeste solos. I bet I could check that documentary on the Goblet of Fire Blu-Ray and figure out. I’ll see.

Pretty sure the classic Williams celeste is just a DX7 sine wave with a slow attack blended with another celeste sample.  I'm told you can even buy the official imitation from Cinesamples.  I think KK told me that, he may even have it.  The rest of his staple synth sounds are probably also mostly done on a DX7 though I think I've also seen Kerber with a Nord.

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Pretty sure the classic Williams celeste is just a DX7 sine wave with a slow attack blended with another celeste sample.  I'm told you can even buy the official imitation from Cinesamples. 

This is true. I thought I also remembered seeing Kerber with a Kurzweil or something, though. There's a number of synth sounds in Williams' output that don't sound like it comes from a DX7, they sound more modern. 

I wonder how Williams describes the type of synth sound he wants for any given instrument (celeste in particular, because he always seems to prefer a synth celeste over a real one). Especially with his extensive vocabulary 😛

I wonder if he prefers to hear lots of different samples then just picks the one he likes most. 

He was clearly very specific about the Potter celeste. Isn't the one in Rey's Theme synth as well? 

30 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Essentially the way you see it above in the excerpt Jay posted: Williams will use words in the score like "Ethereal voices", and from there I believe whoever is the keyboardist--usually Randy Kerber--probably tinkers with sounds trying to imagine how to get the timbre Williams wants. This is what the process has been for me when I've had to program synth patches for music.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

It's a synth patch Randy Kerber is playing on his keyboard

image.png

This one was clearly called "Ghostly Wind Effect".

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

Uh, yes, yes it is. I wasn't saying that excerpt was called "ethereal voices", I just made an example. 

Ah. Forgive me, I'm exhausted.

EDIT: I was adding to your example. I didn't know if you saw the thing. I'm really tired and it took me a minute to remember that.

Just now, Nick Parker said:

It takes a lot of stamina for a pineapple to traverse through space, don't worry about it. 

I thank you for your understanding. And the production aspect just adds to it.

2 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

EDIT: I was adding to your example. I didn't know if you saw the thing. I'm really tired and it took me a minute to remember that.

I explicitly referenced Jay's attachment in the post you quoted....

Just now, Nick Parker said:

Is a pineapple through space like a shark in the sea, where if it stops moving it dies?

Yep. the only difference is that pineapples can move backwards.

Speaking of, I wonder if the extended Knight Bus music was written for the deleted scene (appears on the DVD).

I don't believe that deleted scene used Williams' intended music, but the Sir Cadogan one did (and said cue was used on the OST).