Harry Potter 7CD Collection - SAMPLES and clips discussion

Jay

The AOTC Duel of the Fates was composed as it appears on the OST, and in the film, as mentioned above, has a few bars of TPM recording pasted on the end to give it a bombastic ending. The cue as composed decrescendos to a softer ending.

17 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Whether this was due to temp tracking, director's wishes, production schedule troubles or something else is unknown but I have always felt that it was a somewhat odd decision, especially considering that he wrote a superb mystery/villain theme for the Chamber itself which is used very sparingly in the film and it disappears when Harry finally enters the Chamber of Secrets where one would expect to hear the most expansive renditions of it. Even Duelling the Basilisk doesn't feature it in any prominent way. I guess the feeling the Philsopher's Stone motif conjured was such great shorthand for foreboding and evil it was easy to adopt as a new general purpose baddie motif for the second film and Williams could more easily adapt his older material with such a prominent yet relatively simple musical callback that listeners could readily identify as a signal for "bad things".

I think it's due to the shape of the Chamber theme, which doesn't really work as motif - that's why they only use the underlying triplet base with only the first phrase of the theme whenever they use it. I guess Williams wrote all the themes (this, Fawkes, Dobby) as general ideas before seeing the movie. They worked these in as good as they could but obviously they weren't that great a fit except for some incidental moments (even worse, they all were forgotten after COS).

Mike Mastessino interview  at 18.30.HPSS TEASER Music

Why it the piece longer than it was in the actual teaser (extended section starting at 20.19 in the interview) ? 

I've asked 3 times and nobody answered

yes but it kind of sounds weird in the interview. It's like Williams recorded 2 endings in the same take and it was meant to be edited.  And then for Hedwig's Theme Concert Version he only kept the second ending

after all these years that we want this music  nobody else even noticed this

Of all the tracking I could dislike in the prequels...

March on the Jedi Temple is not one of them.

(also I didnt even notice the tracking in CoS until the Chamber opened)

It's the horrendous way in which it is edited, looped and any tempo or flow completely disregarded that's the problem!

In CoS even the most hodgepodge cue, the 5 minute dialogue in the chamber has atmosphere and structure.

Reading the Diary gives absolutely no indication it's not one of the rerecorded cues á la Flying Pixies, Introducing Colin or Aragog.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The cue played in the interview is the "trailer" music. The "teaser" cue I believe contains the final ending; if that's what you were asking. I can't think of anything else the "teaser" music could be.

The  real trailer I could find uses the OST version of Hedwig's Theme.

The interview  cue is the Teaser cue but longer

yes, that's the teaser .The interview cue is that one but it has an extra section  at the end

this is the Trailer..edited bits of the OST:

15 minutes ago, King Mark said:

yes, that's the teaser .The interview cue is that one but it has an extra section  at the end

this is the Trailer..edited bits of the OST:

Incorrect. That is the "trailer" track, NOT the OST version. Listen very carefully. The video you posted is in fact the piece that was in the interview. The very ending however appears to be missing from the interview.

It doesn't match up with the OST, and the performance is quite different, most notably the beginning. I'm not sure what's going on with the ending though... either the ending is part of the "teaser" track, or they spliced together an early recording of the album version. Very curious.

Re-listening to that part of the interview I'm actually curious what's different about the "teaser" track, since what appears in the interview appears to be the trailer(?), judging by the LLL website sample.

The version in the interview has the same opening as the teaser that Holko posted, and not the opening in the trailer video that you posted. But they appear to have the exact same ending.

Holko post :Teaser

Interview :Matches the Teaser music but extra section at 20.19 (?) No false ending or coda .Trumpet flourishes played slower

My post =Trailer  Ending from 1.36 on sounds like final part of Hedwig's Theme OST Tempo faster,false ending and coda

The trailer is just an edit from Arrival at Hogwarts and a different performance of the concert Hedwig, podium change level differences.

The teaser just shortened the Williams teaser piece as needed I guess.

What I'm confused about is why the teaser/trailer/interview appear to share bits and pieces.

After doing some testing with the audio, I found that the interview music DOES match the trailer music that you (KM) posted. The trailer music is slowed down by about 1% though, most-likely due to the filmstock used, etc, which often slows down or speeds up audio. So in other words, the interview music matches both the trailer AND teaser music, which is strange.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

The trailer is just an edit from Arrival at Hogwarts

No, it's clearly a different performance.

The problem is, if the teaser is just micro-edited bits of album/film recordings along with the trailer music, then what would the teaser track be comprised of? After all, the new album does contain both a trailer and teaser track, not just the trailer.

You confused the two, the teaser is the earlier one scored by a Williams who hasn't seen the film yet and wasn't contracted for it. The trailer is what uses edited performances.

At least we can be sure TV ad is Hedwig tries a Coke/Cookie.

Another thing I realized is that the "trailer" track and the original trailer are the EXACT same length; approx. 2:27. Therefore the "trailer" track I believe is going to be identical to how to music appears in the trailer. I don't believe there were any micro-edits whatsoever. What we heard in the interview then was the teaser track.

3 minutes ago, King Mark said:

The Trailer c.d. track might be  something we haven't heard before

Did you hear the sample of it on the LLL website? It's exactly what's in the trailer video you posted.

It probably was... although it's the same orchestra as the teaser, so I would have assumed they'd have recorded both cues on the same day as opposed to coming back again before recording the score in London.

OOPS  .I had never head that sample

So yeah Trailer sounds a slightly different recording of Concert Hedwig + other bits of the score

Interview music is Teaser music but a bit extended..that confirms it

The opening and very ending are different than what's in the teaser though, so either way new music would have had to be recorded. That's what I'm confused about is that the ending of the teaser is what appears in the trailer, so I'm not sure if the ending of the teaser and the ending of the trailer are two separate recordings that were simply combined in the trailer.

I haven't had the chance to compare the audio files with what appears in the interview, so for all I know they could be separate recordings that just happen to sound almost identical.

14 minutes ago, Incanus said:

...there was a notion for years that those had gone missing.

Same thing with Dracula.

So where do these rumours and false information come from? Who is spreading these Fake News?

I have a vague recollection of someone talking about the master being chewed up during transfer. Maybe it was an interview with someone? They were horrified that they had apparently destroyed an original John Williams piece.

To be honest I always thought that the story related to the Coca Cola piece.

Either way, if the story is true it looks like they chewed up a copy :)

7 hours ago, Alan said:

I have a vague recollection of someone talking about the master being chewed up during transfer. Maybe it was an interview with someone? They were horrified that they had apparently destroyed an original John Williams piece.

To be honest I always thought that the story related to the Coca Cola piece.

Either way, if the story is true it looks like they chewed up a copy :)

Yeah Music Box Music was sent the tape of John Williams' trailer music and their DAT machine ate the tape but it seems logical that wasn't the only tape in existence. Skelly had a thread dedicated to this in 2016. Here is the relevant post.

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

That's a nice deed by Coca-Cola, but what about the millions of kids getting obese and prematurely sick drinking Coca-Cola and other soda? 😂 

But anyway, great music! 

That Coca cola piece was already on the OST spliced together with the original music for the Arrival of Baby Harry.

2 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Yeah Music Box Music was sent the tape of John Williams' trailer music and their DAT machine ate the tape but it seems logical that wasn't the only tape in excistence. Skelly had a thread dedicated to this in 2016. Here is the relevant post.

Thanks for that!