Harry Potter 7CD Collection - SAMPLES and clips discussion

Jay

did anyone answer my question to the HPSS teaser music

Is the clip in the interview the way it was actually recorded (a sort of double ending).  Was it edited  in the movie teaser  or it was edited in the interview to have the 2 ending

20 hours ago, Jay said:

image.png

Glad to see I’m not alone!

Loving the Winamp screenshot, by the way! Talk about “forward to time past” 😂

I still have to get used to “Transformation Class” and “The Library” being switched: I like how the latter flows in the first, mind you - I’m just curious, why were they assembled like that? Better listening experience? Perhaps Library doesn’t have a nice ending, but then again the same could be said about “Race To The Dock” in JP... anyway, great samples and gorgeous set. I’m in love.

4FE92ADC-D80A-4575-B1C5-3E71D2AB6511.png

Why is considered necessary to "remaster" things by making the audio center-heavy and having more bass? I hope it's just the low bitrate of the samples that I am hearing with that.

50 minutes ago, King Mark said:

what you mean some cues are not in chronological order on this???

2 hours ago, redishere said:

I still have to get used to “Transformation Class” and “The Library” being switched

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Why is considered necessary to "remaster" things by making the audio center-heavy and having more bass? I hope it's just the low bitrate of the samples that I am hearing with that.

Indeed!

5 hours ago, TSMefford said:

They did feature Williams at the end of one of the theatrical trailers. It sounded like it was just "Reunion of Friends" but maybe they recorded it anew? At 1:20

In regards to what was library music, I do know a lot of what pieces of library music were used in the trailers for the first six films to help eliminate possibilities. I could lay it out more specifically later tonight.

EDIT: I would guess it's either a new recording featuring some of this Reunion of Friends excerpt or it was entirely unused.

So to come back on this. As far as trailer music for Prisoner of Azkaban, here's what I know:

TEASER:

Score:

• "Anticipation" ~ Brand X Music
  • "Teaser" ~ John Williams

THEATRICAL TRAILER:

Score:

• All I know for sure is that some sort of arrangement of "Reunion of Friends" appears here. If it's the recording from CoS or if this is "Trailer" from the LLL set I do not know.
  • There are other speculated cues (Library Music or other film scores), but none of them have been confirmed so I won't list them here.

INTERNATIONAL TRAILER #1 AND #2:

Score:

• Supposedly original music by Brand X Music

TRAILER #2:

Score:

• "Progency" ~ Brand X Music

Long way of saying, I'm going to assume the track from Azkaban labeled "Trailer" was never used.

58 minutes ago, publicist said:

At least it's a punchy 2 minute version instead of a mammoth 12 (going by the bootleg, or rather what i kept of it).

What you are not fan of that 10 minutes of variations on the Zam ostinato? ;) 

Yes, but that's the name Williams gave the cue. In some cases I find it weird to stick with the composer's original name closely (Tauregs Attack, Mumia Attack, you wouldn't call him Vader Vadar even if Johnny misspelled it consistently), but in this case I don't mind.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

:lurk:

Its far from a deal breaker but I still don’t understand why things like this are done for “listening experience”. Maybe it came from Johnny himself. 

I’m fine with it but I also don’t see the need for it. Seems like a change for the sake of a change.

Sure, but the secrecy surrounding the contents of this brilliant set is a bit baffling to me. I mean, we all ordered it, we're all getting it... Of course I want to trust MM, I'm just interested to know whether that alternate window to the past theme was ever recorded.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'm similarly concerned about the "missing" Azkaban alternates (Journey to Hogwarts V2, Remembering Mother, First Frozen Lake) but we also don't know if Williams recorded every alternate in the leaked sheet music. It's possible he revised those cues before recording their first incarnations.

Seriously, at this point it can be ruled out that Williams is so clueless that he would forbid fascinating alternates from being released. Has someone who can read music commented if these are *true* alternates or just minor variations? Because i fully support Williams in not letting every scrap from his desk on cd releases-

Mockups of the alternate Remembering Mother and 6m5 PtII (First Frozen Lake) are very different to the film versions. We're not just talking slight changes to orchestration. Apparently fragments of the latter are in the DVD menus somewhere but checking on YouTube I couldn't find it (despite the abundance of DVD menu videos for POA, they seem to cut out before any trace of that cue).

I think there's a mockup of Train to Hogwarts V2 but I haven't heard it.

I just found these.

They just popped out of nowhere a few days ago.
Quality is not that good, but I've never heard PoA unreleased cues this clearly.
Is this a leak? 😦

7 minutes ago, redishere said:

I just found these.

They just popped out of nowhere a few days ago.
Quality is not that good, but I've never heard PoA unreleased cues this clearly.
Is this a leak? 😦

That's @Chewy's channel, those are from the Art of the Score podcast that aired a few days before the big announcement, they're from the iso score they have.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

That's @Chewy's channel, those are from the Art of the Score podcast that aired a few days before the big announcement, they're from the iso score they have.

Oh, my bad! Didn't know about that! 
I think a few tracks are movie rips though: Reading The Map has some dialogue audible in the background.
Anyway, super juicy stuff!

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Mockups of the alternate Remembering Mother and 6m5 PtII (First Frozen Lake) are very different to the film versions. We're not just talking slight changes to orchestration. Apparently fragments of the latter are in the DVD menus somewhere but checking on YouTube I couldn't find it (despite the abundance of DVD menu videos for POA, they seem to cut out before any trace of that cue).

I think there's a mockup of Train to Hogwarts V2 but I haven't heard it.

Both versions of Train to Hogwarts were recorded; one was heard in the film, and the other was heard somewhere in the DVDs - a menu or special feature or something. Can't remember. But regardless, it'll be wonderful to have both of them clean...both versions are truly chilling, in the best way. It's a rare case where I can't pick which version of the cue I prefer!

1 hour ago, redishere said:

0:04 - you can hear Fudge ask "Peter Pettigrew?"
It's faint, but it's there.
No biggie!

Huh.

I thought that was just the guys from the podcast itself talking over the track, and the uploader tries his best to remove it.

7 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

Huh.

I thought that was just the guys from the podcast itself talking over the track, and the uploader tries his best to remove it.

That's exactly what it is @redishere, you're correct @MedigoScan. They're talking about his theme. See here at 1:04:52:

http://www.artofthescore.com.au/podcast/2018/11/20/episode-23-harry-potter-and-the-prisoner-of-azkaban-part-1

1 minute ago, TSMefford said:

That's exactly what it is @redishere, you're correct @MedigoScan. They're talking about his theme. See here at 1:04:52:

http://www.artofthescore.com.au/podcast/2018/11/20/episode-23-harry-potter-and-the-prisoner-of-azkaban-part-1

Sorry I thought I recognized Robert Hardy's voice! :D 

1 minute ago, redishere said:

Sorry I thought I recognized Robert Hardy's voice! :D 

No problem! It is totally understandable.They say Pettigrew at almost the same moment in the film. 

6 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

No problem! It is totally understandable.They say Pettigrew at almost the same moment in the film. 

Exactly! :D Anyway, this podcast seems great. Already saved some episodes, gonna listen to those straightaway!

Sorry for the OT!

7 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Its far from a deal breaker but I still don’t understand why things like this are done for “listening experience”. Maybe it came from Johnny himself. 

I’m fine with it but I also don’t see the need for it. Seems like a change for the sake of a change.

In some cases, I really do think certain cue combinations work wonders for the listening experience.

I'm thinking for example the OST "Face of Pan" from Hook.

1 hour ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

In some cases, I really do think certain cue combinations work wonders for the listening experience.

I'm thinking for example the OST "Face of Pan" from Hook.

yeah but I don' t get it. Full chronological order was the accepted way  to go for the past several expansions and now we start seeing start combined cues in the wrong order like Williams does for his OST's and we've complained about that for years. It's like regressing or something

Why make it 99% chronological the change the order of 1 or 2 cues ..Kind of sticks out and not fitting with the rest if you ask me

If the cues are short and relatively inconsequential, it doesn't stick out at all until you start looking at the cue list and what's what, like with Dracula. Until it doesn't majorly interfere with chronology and planned thematic or mood development, and the cues are still separable if somebody REALLY wants to C&C it, I say it's perfectly fine, and Mike usually does all this.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

, and the cues are still separable if somebody REALLY wants to C&C it, I say it's perfectly fine.

well it's possible to do on CE3k but not Dracula i think because the strings mix into one another I think

Are we moving away from chronological to a hybrid "Complete Score/Williams style assembled OST?"

hey it's not just me. People here have their spread sheets with complete score analysis and Jay is one of them..

The JP 20th anniversary was very badly received because it contained  the unreleased music in the wrong order and you couldn' t really re-assemble it like you want unless you made fake fade outs

Like I sad either you do it that way or the other. I don't get the 99% chronological but we'll combined this one cue with another in the wrong order thing

with all that said I don't really care.

These sort of things are usually for the best, I think. I still think Incident at Isla Nublar and the Falling Car work much better together than apart, same thing goes for Hatching Baby Raptor and Life Finds a Way. This sort of aproach can be the best of both words, really

11 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Dracula i think because the strings mix into one another I think

Only on one of the 3 (or more like 2 really) out-of-order combination cues, Grave Trampling and the Asylum, which works wonderfully. Would you really want to put the crazed Asylum cue between The Dining Room and First Kiss? It serves no real purpose there other than disrupting the mood and flow. It can be case-by-case and in this one I think no mistake was made at all, as for the order whithin the track, I think the bombastic Grave Trampling works better as an introduction to the Investigation motif than The Asylum's "ostinato".

1 minute ago, Romão said:

These sort of things are usually for the best, I think. I still think Incident at Isla Nublar and the Falling Car work much better together than apart, same thing goes for Hatching Baby Raptor and Life Finds a Way. This sort of aproach can be the best of both words, really

Agreed!

7 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Are we moving away from chronological to a hybrid "Complete Score/Williams style assembled OST?"

I hope so.

Everything there, but nicer to listen to than just plain recording sessions.

I appreciate that they're putting some extra thought into it.