Danny Elfman's BATMAN - 2018 Mondo Vinyl release CONTAINS NEW MUSIC {Sold Out in 20 minutes}

Jay

Side A
01. Main title (2:49)
02. Family / First Batman / Roof Fight (3:24)
03. Jack Vs. Eckhardt (1:36)
04. Up Building / Card Snap (1:54)
05. Bat Zone / Axis Set-Up (1:52)
06. Shootout (5:39)
07. Dinner Transition / Kitchen Dinner** / Surgery (2:58)

Side B
08. Stair Kiss** / Face-Off / Beddy Bye (4:00)
09. Board Meeting (0:20)
10. Roasted Dude (1:04)
11. Vicki Spies (Flowers) (1:55)
12. Clown Attack (1:58)
13. Bruce Contemplates / Photos* / Men At Work (2:59)
14. Paper Spin / Alicia’s Mask (0:31)
15. Vicki Gets A Gift (1:12)
16. Alicia’s Unmasking (1:10)
17. Batman To the Rescue / Batmobile Charge / Street Fight (4:25)
18. Vicki Hides The Film (0:35)

Side C
19. Descent Into Mystery (1:34)
20. Batcave / Paper Throw (2:49)
21. The Truth (1:14)
22. The Joker’s Poem (0:59)
23. Sad Pictures (0:39)
24. Dream / Challenge / Tender Batcave** (4:28)
25. Charge of the Batmobile (1:47)
26. Joker Flies to Gotham / Batwing I (0:34)
27. Batwing II (4:00)

Side D
28. Batwing III (2:07)
29. Cathedral Chase (5:06)
30. Waltz to the Death (3:59)
31. Showdown I / Showdown II (5:06)
32. Finale* **(1:49)
33. End Credits (1:29)

https://mondotees.com/products/batman-extended-motion-picture-score-2xlp?variant=13575996244061

I bolded the new tracks!

Additionally, "The Truth" previously released under the wrong title ("Joker's Muzak") is now integrated into the main program.

Also "Batwing II" and "Batwing III" no longer crossfade.

Also they took what used to be 12  Photos*/Beautiful Dreamer*† 2:30 and 1 3Men at Work* 0:33, and now we have 13. Bruce Contemplates / Photos* / Men At Work (2:59)

And 8 Face–Off*•/Beddy Bye* 3:59 is now 08. Stair Kiss** / Face-Off / Beddy Bye (4:00)

How about that?

55 seconds of asterisk music? Stop the press!

Every time you think they've released the definitive version of this score, they come out with another one. That's the gag. Chances are, you've bought 'em already!

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Is this expanded set is exclusive to an LP?

Of course it is! Because everybody buys LPs these days! That is where the future of expanded scores it at!

But it is impressive that they sold out already, especially since there were 2000 copies of this pressed.

Just now, Incanus said:

Of course it is! Because everybody buys LPs these days! That is where the future of expanded scores it at!

I hope they’ll never do that for JW!

52 minutes ago, Incanus said:

But it is impressive that they sold out already, especially since were 2000 copies of this pressed.

Interesting. Maybe that's the future for independent labels? Seems to be a really in-thing right now, these limited-edition vinyl releases.

One day I could see them releasing CD and vinyl expansions on the same day (with the vinyl quantities far less, obviously).

I got a turntable just a few months ago, along with some 100 LPs (both donated from my father), so I would definitely be into this if I didn't already have the CD. Vinyl reissues are now moving from hipster territory into mainstream music collecting. Cassettes(!), however, are the new hipster -- so dig out those old walkmans!

I don't REALLY care about 50 seconds or whatever, but it is mildly irritating that I've spent a lot of money on expanded versions of this score over the years (the original LLL, the LLL 2-pack with improved sound, and the Elfman/Burton box) and there still were a few things hanging around there!

(and more irritating that exclusive stuff pops up on vinyl only)

50 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I don't REALLY care about 50 seconds or whatever, but it is mildly irritating that I've spent a lot of money on expanded versions of this score over the years (the original LLL, the LLL 2-pack with improved sound, and the Elfman/Burton box) and there still were a few things hanging around there!

(and more irritating that exclusive stuff pops up on vinyl only)

Yeah, are these newly discovered or did Neil/Elfman/LLL make a creative decision to leave them off the most recent CD release?  The first disc is 75 minutes so they would have fit.  So if it was a creative decision, why add them to this vinyl release?

I THINK they were confined (by WB?  by the impulse to not alienate prior buyers?)  to the same program as the first LLL on the Elfman 2-pack rerelease, and the only improvements were sonic.

For the 2010 LLL edition, they didn't have these cues.  IIRC, all they had was the album master, and the final edited audio as heard in the final cut of the film.

For the 2011 Elfman/Burton box set, they didn't have these cues.  That's basically just the album with a few things taken from, I'd guess the same source as the 2010 LLL, plus old demos/worktapes Danny had.

Sometime in 2013/2014ish, Neil finally found proper elements at Warner Brothers  after years of searching.  This led to the 2014 Danny Elfman Batman Collection, where they could finally present Danny's score in good audio.  However, they were locked to only repeating the 2010 program, with no changes made at all.

Now in 2018, we have Mondo releasing a vinyl edition, and they were able to have a different program, so Neil made some changes.

Hopefully here are plans to revisit Batman for another CD release containing these cues, and whatever else may have turned up on that better element that hasn't found a home yet, too

Surely it wouldn't be until the Elfman/Batman set goes OOP.   I don't think I'd purchase the score again for 0:55, or even 0:55 and a bunch of new alternates.  My preferred format for the first Batman is still the OST presentation.  But would have liked it to be on the expansion(s) I have!

Ah, I didn't realize that the most recent LLL was contractually obligated to repeat the program of the 2010 edition.  That's a bummer.

Of course it's only 50 seconds of pretty unimportant music, so I won't be buying another CD release of Batman if they do one.  The Danny Elfman Batman release from 2014 is one of my favorite LLL releases, a thing of beauty.  All I need.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

Surely it wouldn't be until the Elfman/Batman set goes OOP

I also didn't realize this was still in print!  Makes sense given how quickly it came after individual LLL releases of both scores.

Only 2 cues were added to this vinyl edition.  I have no idea how many other potential goodies are also on that new element that still haven't been released.  Additional unused cues, early alternate versions of other cues, who knows!

An entirely new 2CD set should be rebuilt from the ground up.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Only 2 cues were added to this vinyl edition.  I have no idea how many other potential goodies are also on that new element that still haven't been released.  Additional unused cues, early alternate versions of other cues, who knows!

An entirely new 2CD set should be rebuilt from the ground up.

Agreed.  I'd buy it. 

It's scary for my wallet that all the expensive Williams editions could be improved and rereleased.... For mono score like family plot or the Poseidon adventure is ok...but for other pristine sounding editions...damn not enough money...

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Hopefully here are plans to revisit Batman for another CD release containing these cues, and whatever else may have turned up on that better element that hasn't found a home yet, too

Not to to be ugly,  but they can wait awhile before I have to buy my 4th version of Batman. 

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I of course love them both, I just feel a bit protective of Batman Returns.

It's one of the scores that is responsible for me even being a fan of film music in the first place... This, The Lion King, Jurassic Park, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Hook are some of my earliest film music memories from the time before I learned soundtrack collecting was even a thing.

Karol

16 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It's one of the scores that is responsible for me even being a fan of film music in the first place... This, The Lion King, Jurassic Park, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Hook are some of my earliest film music memories from the time before I learned soundtrack collecting was even a thing.

Karol

You’re so young! ;)

But yes, RETURNS is a fantastic score. I, too, might prefer it over the first.

On 11/29/2018 at 4:52 AM, Incanus said:

But it is impressive that they sold out already, especially since there were 2000 copies of this pressed.

Sadly, it isn't impressive at all.  Mondo is *infested* with reseller/scalper bots, and as a company, they refuse to do anything about it.  All of their releases sell out almost instantly, and already have placeholder entries set up for them on eBay.  I'm a movie poster collector.  They had a Jaws poster signed by the artist up a while back, and I was sitting there poised at the ready the moment the items went live.  They sold out in the few seconds it took me to enter my shipping info.  It's a total racket.  The people who genuinely want these releases are getting shafted with Mondo every time, and they really couldn't care less.

I don’t know anything about Mondo, but I do know that any store can take measures to prevent bots. Which means either Mondo doesn’t care or, worse, that the quick bit sellouts increase the company’s cool factor