Harry Potter 7CD Collection - Pictures, unboxing videos, and art design / liner notes discussion

Jay

Just now, Bespin said:

Does english speaking persons tries to teach us how to pronouce latin?

That the funniest thing I read since a long time!

This makes no sense.  Speaking a Romance language doesn't mean you can pronounce Latin.  Anymore than I'm an authority on Old English, let alone the old German it's derived from.

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

That the funniest thing I read since a long time!

I studied Latin as well in high school, but I asked to people who studied it at the University, and they confirmed this.
This is wery weird. :D 

1 minute ago, Zanobard said:

Nothing, surprisingly.

On the box though there is a label from La-La Land that says the contents are worth 1$, so that might be why...

Nice! Did you ask them to put that label? Or do you think they usually put it to save us from customs?

4 minutes ago, Zanobard said:

On the box though there is a label from La-La Land that says the contents are worth 1$, so that might be why...

So now we know how much the production cost of this set really was! 😂 :P

1 minute ago, redishere said:

Nice! Did you ask them to put that label? Or do you think they usually put it to save us from customs?

I didn't ask for anything, so I guess they're even bigger heroes than we first thought 😃

7 minutes ago, redishere said:

I studied Latin as well in high school, but I asked to people who studied it at the University, and they confirmed this.
This is wery weird. :D 

In France some people speak or sing in latin without rolling the ‘r’.

That sounds strange too!

Well, latin is a dead langage, it seems all cultures adapted the way to pronunce it, according to their own limitations.

In Québec, it’s funny because some older persons still roll their ‘r’ (like in Italian), because at school in the 40’s and 50’s they were taught by nuns and priests. Hehe

47 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I had forgotten.  Pretty tame stuff.

Just now, Bespin said:

In France some people speak or sing in latin without rolling the ‘r’.

That sounds strange too!

Well, latin is a dead langage, it seems all cultures adapted the way to pronunce it, according to their limitations.

I cannot imagine my nanna not rolling her "r's". Even though she was American she sounded like our cousins in Quebec.

17 minutes ago, Bespin said:

That’s the funniest thing I read since a long time!

There’s huge differences in pronunciation between the Romance languages so unless you’ve studied Latin yourself... 

My mom and uncles did, « stupid Hobbit »! 😉

Pronunciate it the way you learned i!

Anyway, you and I will never be able to pronounce latin like the romans did! They did’nt make difference between an «  u » and a « v », but our languages does... 😉

Yeah I think combining the "historical" context and then discussing musical themes is a perfect way to handle these scores. That way it invites you to listen carefully and form your own conclusions about the meaning and value of the work as presented on CD. :)

That is the same reason why I always loved Doug Adams' notes on LOTR and his theme analysis. He gives you overview of the ingredients but then you can listen on your own and find those elements yourself and hear how they interact. It's more satisfying this way.

Karol

Reading this thread, does it seem like the UK has (at least in this case) a much better postal delivery system that Continental Europe? Many (or most?) of the folks in the UK who ordered the set has already received it, haven't they?

22 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

They’re here!  Holy crap these are some quality releases!  I’ve got a lot of listening and reading to do.  So far the biggest perk is the intoxicating smell of the liner notes 😂 

113A06C5-51CE-4588-A13B-755A8D5794F4.jpeg

So have you listened to that Superman set yet? Is it worth getting as a JW fan?

5 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

So have you listened to that Superman set yet? Is it worth getting as a JW fan?

Nope, I'm knee-deep in HP right now lol

It's been so long since I've seen the Superman movies and I never had the FSM Blue Box so it was an easy choice for me to purchase this set as well as Sup IV earlier this year.

I would say it's worth getting if you don't have the blue box for sure!

5 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

I would say it's worth getting if you don't have the blue box for sure!

I don't, I just have the Rhino version of Superman.

Just wondering how much Williams is there in the Superman sequel scores.... Is it like Hedwig's Theme from HP4 onwards kind of deal? 

5 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Nope, I'm knee-deep in HP right now lol

I hear ya. Same here. :D

9 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Same here.  I didn't get the Blue Box due to the price and that I really didn't have a need or want to listen to the animated series music.  I'll definitely purchase S:TM if/when LLL releases it (hopefully soon).

10 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Just wondering how much Williams is there in the Superman sequel scores.... Is it like Hedwig's Theme from HP4 onwards kind of deal? 

I believe there is quite a bit that he composed for S:TM that was unused in the film that was used for II & III, plus IV had music that JW wrote as well.  I don't have all the info on it, someone else would have to confirm that.  

25 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Superman II is sort of like Williams Ross' HP adaptation only applied to an entire film with no new material. It's an effective enough extension but not essential. Superman III reuses a lot of that material as well but there is also some new material that sounds nothing like Williams. Superman IV is very much worth getting as it features brand new Williams material and more creative take on his original themes. Alexander Courage knows Williams from working with him and he doesn't lean on straight lifts. He actually creates new fresh variations and takes the material into often quite unexpected places. Sadly, the score is not as well recorded as Williams'. Stylistically, it has probably more to do with Goldsmith than Williams. But it's an interesting and entertaining take on this series.

Karol

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Superman IV is very much worth getting as it features brand new Williams material and more creative take on his original themes. Alexander Courage knows Williams from working with him and he doesn't lean on straight lifts. He actually creates new fresh variations and takes the material into often quite unexpected places. Sadly, the score is not as well recorded as Williams'. Stylistically, it has probably more to do with Goldsmith than Williams. But it's an interesting and entertaining take on this series.

Wait. Has an expansion of IV been released already? I have no idea regarding this! 

Sounds like IV is a must have, while II and III are not necessarily.

Wait. Has an expansion of IV been released already? I have no idea regarding this! 

Sounds like IV is a must have, while II and III are not necessarily.

Yup, this year.

Listen to the samples first though.

Karol

10 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Thanks! This one goes into my next order!

Haha just don't expect it to sound like Williams exactly. It actually doesn't a lot of the time. But Courage does some interesting stuff with Williams material. Three great cues for you:

(Listen how in this third cue Courage plays with the love theme from the original and the new love theme for Lacy as the two women have a double date with Clark and Superman.)

Karol

3 cues. Jeremy's theme, nuclear man and Lacys theme were written by JW

But i think they were not fully orchestrated and Courage adapted/orchestated them , because they don't "sound" like JW did it himself

@crocodile

Thanks! But in IV, are there cues written just by JW? And if yes, how many?

He wrote three new themes - Lacy's theme you can hear in the track above. There are also: Nuclear Man theme and Jeremy's theme. Apparently Williams wrote the suites. But everything else is done by Courage.

KM beat me to it!

Yes, the suites don't really sound like Williams.

Karol

I like it when other composers do interesting things with JW's themes/music. John Powell did a great job in this regard with Solo and Gia did alright in a few spots in Rogue One. The Harry Potter sequels were largely a snorefest or awkward with how they reused JW's music, especially one film's very clunky rendition of the motif from Quidditch, Third Year.

Just now, artguy360 said:

I like it when other composers do interesting things with JW's themes/music. John Powell did a great job in this regard with Solo and Gia did alright in a few spots in Rogue One. The Harry Potter sequels were largely a snorefest or awkward with how they reused JW's music, especially one film's very clunky rendition of the motif from Quidditch, Third Year.

I actually liked what Doyle did with Hedwig's theme. At least it was different. I really don't like when composers try to ape someone else's style.

Karol

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Does anybody else start wondering why Williams didn't approach Courage regarding CoS? :D

I think he must have been 82 or something back then.

Just now, King Mark said:

isn;t he dead?

He died 10 years ago.

Karol

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

I actually liked what Doyle did with Hedwig's theme. At least it was different. I really don't like when composers try to ape someone else's style.

Karol

also Jaws 4