Harry Potter 7CD Collection - Pictures, unboxing videos, and art design / liner notes discussion

Jay

yeah it's a good version  of the shark theme

The United Nation track in Superman 4 is amazing.. One of the few renditions that actually beat JW's own .I remember hearing it in the cinema or on TV and I was like...I WANT THIS (I think it was cut out of certain edits of the film though)

As a JW fan, one doesn't really know whether to collect the sequel scores as well, where JW himself wasn't involved but his themes were reused... 

In case of doubt, I guess just get them all! 😂 

4 minutes ago, King Mark said:

also Jaws 4

I don't own this, either!

8 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Guess that's why they were combined in one set!

Superman III is a bit like a slapstick comedy with some lifts from Williams' score. It's not a terribly coherent score. Having said that, I like this track:

Karol

The UN tracks reminds me of Throne Room for some reason... Same kind of overtones.... 

29 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Courage had a series of health issues before he passed away in 2008. I can imagine that limited his work significantly towards the end of his life.

Oh, 2008. 

So I guess theoretically he could have worked on CoS? At least adapted the music...

11 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

The UN tracks reminds me of Throne Room for some reason... Same kind of overtones.... 

Yes, it does have some of this regal noble sound. I agree.

And one more detail I love about this score is that Courage wrote a new coda to the end credits. It's a tiny thing but I rather like it:

Karol

Okay, Superman IV is a done deal! I'm ordering it this week. II and III, maybe.

Are Jaws 3 and 4 from Intrada still available? I seem to remember these weren't limited...

So in my next order for LLL:

2 HP sets

Land of the Giants

Superman IV

Bram Stoker's Dracula 

Die Hard 

(Superman II and III - Not sure yet.)

I feel like if this package won't be seized by customs, absolutely nothing will! 😂 

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Well...not strictly. Intrada keeps their ritles in print as long as they're selling them.

Karol

Oh well.

These are strictly speaking not JW scores, so they're not a priority. I'll probably pick these up second hand, or maybe some store still has them in stock.

Jaws is part of their MAF/INT line, which means they intend to keep it around as long as they can.

The sequel scores were all part of their Special Collection line, which means they go OOP once they sell X number of copies, or it's selling too slow and they decide not to press anymore when their current stock gets down to the end.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Jaws is part of their MAF/INT line, which means they intend to keep it around as long as they can.

The sequel scores were all part of their Special Collection line, which means they go OOP once they sell X number of copies, or it's selling too slow and they decide not to press anymore when their current stock gets down to the end.

Did you get all 4, @Jay

?

What's your professional opinion on 3 and 4? Are these worth getting?

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

I only bought 1 and 2.  I've never heard 3 or 4. And I've never seen any Jaws movies beyond 1.

Jaws 2 is worth seeing once. As a a child, it was my favorite because the finish is quite spectacular, but I was a dumb child. It's worth it to close out the book on Scheider's Chief Brody. 

3 and 4 are garbage. 

Only 1 is worth owning on video format. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I only bought 1 and 2.  I've never heard 3 or 4. And I've never seen any Jaws movies beyond 1.

You haven't seen Jaws 2? :blink:

You should, it's really very good! Although it's of course not as good as the original Jaws, this one has awesome action scenes, impeccably scored by JW! One of my favorite scenes is this. See if your heart won't skip a beat when the shark's fin appears out of the water as suddenly as JW's cue starts playing... :D

1 hour ago, Wojism said:

Jaws 2 is worth seeing once. As a a child, it was my favorite because the finish is quite spectacular, but I was a dumb child. It's worth it to close out the book on Scheider's Chief Brody. 

I think that's too harsh. Jaws 2 has a lot going for it, not the least of which is JW's kickass score! It's not a bad movie at all.

Many kids and teens like this one, I suspect, because, of course, the plot involves many kids and teens getting attacked by the shark!

5 hours ago, Jay said:

And that's fine. Don't watch any other Jaws film. None of them is good. The drama Brody goes through in the second one is nice, but suspense... what's suspense?

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

Jaws 3-D is still available. Jaws: The Revenge is out of print.

Karol

And what's your opinion on these two scores? Obviously the original and 2 are miles ahead, but are these worth getting at all? 

27 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

And what's your opinion on these two scores? Obviously the original and 2 are miles ahead, but are these worth getting at all? 

I can only say that the third score, while not bad musically, sucked out the suspense out of several scenes. The use in the movie is not always supportive and the movie would have needed support.

The effect of the second score is superb. It's the only reason to elevate the movie to a dramatic dimension. Hollow Man is another instance, where the music is so substantial that the movie wouldn't survive without it.

50 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I like all of them. While not exactly masterpieces they both try to do something with the material.

Karol

31 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I can only say that the third score, while not bad musically, sucked out the suspense out of several scenes. The use in the movie is not always supportive and the movie would have needed support.

I've seen Jaws 3-D only once, I believe, and never again. It was so bad, I almost burst out laughing. Easily one of the worst movies made. Jaws 4 was bad too, but it's better than 3-D by far!

Sometimes movie are so bad, they actually ruin the score, even if it has a great theme like JW's Jaws theme.

See if you don't agree... hard not to laugh at the computer (game) shark.

14 minutes ago, crocodile said:

While not exactly masterpieces they both try to do something with the material.

They "try to do something"...

Man, you couldn't sound more enthusiastic if you tried! 😂 

Well there's not much I can add that hasn't been mentioned already. The set is just gorgeous. I listened to the first disc of PS while reading the two main booklets and it was a joyous night. I can't wait to delve into the remaining six discs over the next week. Mike's liner notes are a shining star. The art design from Jim is superb throughout, love the usage of fonts especially (it's the little details that add up). 

Less joyous was the cases themselves. Sadly both my PS and COS cases are damaged, with three sets of broken disc teeth (discs 2, 3 and 5). Disc 5 won't even remain in place; whenever I open the COS case it's sliding around freely inside. No doubt that disc will get scratched in short order which is a real shame and such a downer for this lovingly crafted set.

So massive thumbs down to whoever along the chain from California to Australia saw fit to throw, drop or damage this box with enough force to break two of the cases inside. I don't even understand how the disc fingers can break inside cases inside a protective slipcase wrapped in bubble wrap. A bit disheartening for such an expensive item. :(

@ArpyWhat condition did your set arrive in?

20181217_225823.jpg.8549bab9a35cb2427b4b4c472ee1a485.jpg

20181217_222219.jpg.866c883c261805b76c4e15bc7580a3c6.jpg

20181217_225736.jpg.bee9241a7daaac8a39fbd4c7b3f25ce6.jpg

20181217_222254.jpg.89a0fc79b58bc2c067d011d9bae6a66b.jpg

That's so sad! Could severe heat level changes (warm-cold as hell-warmish) be the culprit, making the plastic brittle? Or simply heat expansion?

Oh shit! @crumbs I'm working night shifts this week so I won't get home till 7 to open the set.

It's such a fucking disgrace that the postal service can treat parcels like this. To break the teeth holding the disc takes a bit of force, especially in the box it ships in. Knowing my luck, my set will probably have the same damage and if it does, I'll be writing to both postal services for at least an explanation or something.

Just one other thing to worry about. I guess it's what happens when they employ people for a minimum wage, they just throw everything around to get the job done as fast as possible...

For all we know it was perfectly fine until it went out for delivery earlier today and someone along the way dropped it.

35 minutes ago, Holko said:

That's so sad! Could severe heat level changes (warm-cold as hell-warmish) be the culprit, making the plastic brittle? Or simply heat expansion?

Dunno, I doubt it. The same thing has only happened to one other set I've ordered from LLL (maybe Hook or AI?) and I never chased it up because it was only like 2 fingers. Everything else from LLL has arrived in excellent condition (thanks to their great packing).

I will say this was an unexpectedly large parcel box relative to the size of the set (most orders I've received have been quite 'snug' in a smaller cardboard box). There were also only two pieces of bubble wrap inside, so it's likely the set was moving around quite freely during transit. Still, I don't understand how that resulted in the fingers breaking off in two separate cases while the rest of the set is in mint condition. No damage, dents or bumps whatsoever to the slipcase. :(

34 minutes ago, Holko said:

Possibly, but from experience with other CD's I think it's just poor handling.

Great that you finally got your set @crumbs!

Sorry that your cases are damaged though. It happened to me with the LLL Batman/Batman Returns set. Actually the case itself was broken at the hinges as well as the teeth so the whole thing falls apart when I open it. Shocking that postal services don't treat packages with more care.

CD teeth are a nightmare. It's why I rip everything in FLAC with another WAV rip for back up because I know that eventually the teeth will break if I actually use the discs for day to day use.

I thought about buying some replacement cases but I doubt they're even available at retail stores in Australia these days (especially a 3-disc case like HP1's).

I think the only other 3 disc set I have is from A.I. and I really don't want to change that case over, it's my favourite release after JP/TLW.

4 minutes ago, Alan said:

CD teeth are a nightmare. It's why I rip everything in FLAC with another WAV rip for back up because I know that eventually the teeth will break if I actually use the discs for day to day use. 

Yeah I've ripped everything to FLAC at a minimum, good idea with a secondary WAV backup.

The last thing I want is the CDs themselves to get scratched by sharp edges.

27 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I thought about buying some replacement cases but I doubt they're even available at retail stores in Australia these days (especially a 3-disc case like HP1's).

Just order it cheap from Amazon! 

34 minutes ago, Jay said:

My Schindlers List arrived with broken teeth but HP was ok.

When this happens I just swap cases with some other CD I care less about 😛

I did that with Die Hard last month. Just swapped the tray itself.

Karol

My Schindler's List and Haunting of Hill House have their teeth intact; I won't know about Harry Potter until Christmas, but I can't imagine mine took any damage based on how well it was packed. 

I frequently have issues with cracks and broken teeth on LLL releases, but usually only when I order few enough CDs to be stuck into a yellow bubble mailer.

@crumbs, ebay might have some sellers that sell good CD cases of different kinds (various number of discs/black or transparent tray/the hinge of the 2-disc-tray on the left or on the right side). At least in Germany there are several people that sell this stuff. From a normal shop/online shop you normally just get rather cheap plastic cases that break within days. It's hard to get good replacement CD cases.

There were never any broken teeth issues with the good old black trays.

5 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Somebody made this long and comprehensive unboxing and review video of the Harry Potter set! He's not a member here, is he? 

Ooh, I love this, especially the fact that he talks about the pictures on every disc. (Come on, postman...)

6 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

It feels strange seeing someone on YT holding the box.... like it does actually exist out there in the wild outside of a handful of John WIlliams nerds here :P

After watching that video I'm actually not sure whether he's primarily a Harry Potter fan or a film score fan or a John Williams fan. A bit of all three, I assume. :D