Harry Potter 7CD Collection - Pictures, unboxing videos, and art design / liner notes discussion

Jay

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

He does say:

Newbie!

Indeed! 

But he does sound like a giddy schoolgirl, giggling over every sentence he says. He's probably a Muggle. 😂 

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I got that one!

Does it say on the bottom, Music Adapted by William Ross? :P

On 12/17/2018 at 4:29 AM, Jay said:

I only bought 1 and 2.  I've never heard 3 or 4. And I've never seen any Jaws movies beyond 1.

Jaws 3-D has a fantastic score. 

On 12/17/2018 at 3:18 PM, crumbs said:

I thought about buying some replacement cases but I doubt they're even available at retail stores in Australia these days (especially a 3-disc case like HP1's).

I've stockpiled a bunch of fat 2/3/4 CD cases by cannibalising cheap used CD sets I found at various second-hand shops for just such an occasion. Those things are impossible to find otherwise.

I usually end up having to replace cases and inlay trays due to damage en route more often than not.

Half Price Books also sells used CDs, a lot for cheap, so might be able to find some donor CD cases from there possibly.  Thankfully my HP set arrived in mint condition with no issues.

Mine had really better arrive tomorrow. Now it's the time when I get extremely impatient, because it could show up any day. It's either a big dissappoinment or a big surprise and that tension kills me!

8 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Not entirely sure, but isn't this rare footage of William Ross conducting the score of CoS...? :D

God. I played in a small orchestra when I was a kid, and obviously I (and a lot of my friends) messed up big time,

but this is absurd :D there's literally no one playing the right note! So bad it's good.

Oh you just can't hate them!

I was torn between that and Mountain King, but the latter seemed a bit more fitting since their performance of it was a bit better and more recogniseable, like the video I reacted to.

55 minutes ago, Once said:

"When younger members of the audience come to me and are able to sing the Harry Potter themes or play them on their instruments, that's the kind of reward that, at least for me personally as a musician, is the most meaningful."

- A proud John Williams

This one girl has more talent than that entire orchestra above combined, it seems like... John Williams would be proud of her for sure! 

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

This one girl has more talent than that entire orchestra above combined, it seems like... John Williams would be proud of her for sure! 

Nice! I knew someone from my local town who did Hedwig's Theme on Xylophone I believe. It wasn't bad.

5 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Not entirely sure, but isn't this rare footage of William Ross conducting the score of CoS...? :D

Fascinating to watch William Ross coaxing the best out of the LSO players!

OMG, that is the most entertaining performance of an orchestra that I've ever heard in my whole fucking life!!!ROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAO

Long-time JWFan lurker here, but had to create an account to ask if anyone else has received a copy with badly-aligned printing on the outer sleeve?

For something that certainly couldn’t be considered cheap, I can’t say I’m particularly happy that my copy turned up like this – especially when so many photos of the same product posted in this thread don’t have the same problem. 😞

20181220_190031.jpg

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess the Chinese children couldn't keep up with the assembly line... :(

China should buy up Norway and just let the Norwegian kids do it! China already owns a third of the US and half of the EU! 😂 

2 hours ago, Owen said:

Long-time JWFan lurker here, but had to create an account to ask if anyone else has received a copy with badly-aligned printing on the outer sleeve?

For something that certainly couldn’t be considered cheap, I can’t say I’m particularly happy that my copy turned up like this – especially when so many photos of the same product posted in this thread don’t have the same problem. 😞

WTH. 

Hope the CDs themselves and their cases are okay, though! 

You gonna ask for a replacement of the slipcase?

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

China should buy up Norway and just let Norwegian kids do it! China already owns a third of the US and half of Europe! 😂 

Or they could just buy the UK from the EU - probably for a good price! ;)

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Or they could just buy the UK from the EU - probably for a good price! ;)

Nah, Norwegian kids are cheaper. :P

Harry Potter is a British brainchild. British kids did enough starring in the Harry Potter movies.

6 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

WTH. 

Hope the CDs themselves and their cases are okay, though! 

You gonna ask for a replacement of the slipcase?

The discs, cases and booklets are all in immaculate condition, as I think they took extra precaution packing it for international shipping! (Plus the $1.00 value mentioned earlier in the thread meant no customs charges, which was a bonus.)

And La-La Land have since confirmed that they’ll replace the slipcase for me. 😊

@Owen One could argue that the set as a whole is a collector's item and they would be right, but if everything else is in order - the CDs, the audio, the cases, the artwork/booklets etc. are all in good order, then how much is the misalignment of the exterior box going to affect your appreciation for the set and its contents? If you were going to put it on your shelf, you could display it with the exposed section facing outwards, like I do for quick access.

2 minutes ago, Arpy said:

@Owen One could argue that the set as a whole is a collector's item and they would be right, but if everything else is in order - the CDs, the audio, the cases, the artwork/booklets etc. are all in good order, then how much is the misalignment of the exterior box going to affect your appreciation for the set and its contents? If you were going to put it on your shelf, you could display it with the exposed section facing outwards, like I do for quick access.

I completely get that, but when you’ve paid a fair sum for something so special it can be incredibly disappointing when it’s not quite up to scratch.

On 12/20/2018 at 9:21 PM, Owen said:

20181220_190031.jpg

Can't believe they allowed that to go out that way, don't the people that pack the shipping boxes QA the stuff before it goes out the door?

7 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Can't believe they allowed that to go out that way, don't the people that pack the shipping boxes QA the stuff before it goes out the door?

Yeah, that's what I thought too at first.

But they probably didn't notice, having to package literally thousands of these sets within a week or so...

But I honestly hope there is only this is ONE exception. And not a whole batch of these exceptions.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

The only negative aspect of the box set is the fact that the jewel cases are cheaper and more fragile than the ones they use normally. That might be the reason why several people have got it with broken teeth. They should have gone that (last) extra mile.

Hmmm, how is it more fragile? I thought your set arrived in perfect condition. And so did most sets, including mine.

The few problems (Marc's totally fucked up discs, sorry for my French, KM's scratched discs, the misaligned cover art, the few broken teeth) were the exceptions, I believe. 

All of their new sets, 1CD and 2CD, come in these inferior jewel cases. They feel, look and seem more fragile than the old ones which they were using. I don't know whether they're cheaper for them, but I don't like these precious CDs being stored in cheap plastic.

7 hours ago, Josh500 said:

The few problems (Marc's totally fucked up discs, sorry for my French, KM's scratched discs, the misaligned cover art, the few broken teeth) were the exceptions, I believe. 

I had the scratched disc problem as well.

19 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Hmmm I would suppose the cardboard replacement is as expensive as a Jurassic park booklet replacement...I should have asked for a replacement when it as on print....:(

What? Because of the missing teeth?

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Did you ask for a replacement?

No. I was considering it, but don't really want to make a fuss considering it's not that bad, and the disc seems to work just fine on my computer.

19 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

All of their new sets, 1CD and 2CD, come in these inferior jewel cases. They feel, look and seem more fragile than the old ones which they were using. I don't know whether they're cheaper for them, but I don't like these precious CDs being stored in cheap plastic.

That's true. I've noticed the cases they've been using for the past few years are very bendy and easily broken. My JP set arrived with the middle spine of the fat case (the dark bit) snapped off at the bottom. I probably end up replacing around 50% of all jewel cases when ordering via post either due to cracks, broken teeth or snapped pivot arms (if that's what those are called).

12 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Hmmm I would suppose the cardboard replacement is as expensive as a Jurassic park booklet replacement...I should have asked for a replacement when it as on print....:(

If you're referring to the JP missing teeth booklet, a poster in the FSM Potter thread requested a replacement when ordering the Potter set and apparently received it. So you should still be able to get one. I also need a replacement.

I bought Home Alone and Dennis the Menace which have both a stable 2CD and 1CD case, and I bought Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan which have both a fragile 2CD and 1CD case.

So I had a good comparison between all kinds of jewel cases. LLL should really get back to the old ones! One of the teeth of my COS jewel case already broke and that's not due to the postal service's bad treatment or something like that.

In fairness to LLL (and I say this as someone whose Potter set had multiple CD holders completely broken), it might be that their old manufacturer closed down/went out of business and they had to resort to a cheaper plant. They've had several issues with manufacturer delays over the last few years but I don't remember it being a problem in the past.

Sadly CDs are a dying industry, in an age of digital downloads and streaming services.