Harry Potter 7CD Collection - Pictures, unboxing videos, and art design / liner notes discussion

Jay

I haven't noticed any particular cheapness or problems with my E.T., CE3K, JP or Home Alone cases, I'll pay attention when I get this.

56 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

That's true. I've noticed the cases they've been using for the past few years are very bendy and easily broken. My JP set arrived with the middle spine of the fat case (the dark bit) snapped off at the bottom. I probably end up replacing around 50% of all jewel cases when ordering via post either due to cracks, broken teeth or snapped pivot arms (if that's what those are called).

If you're referring to the JP missing teeth booklet, a poster in the FSM Potter thread requested a replacement when ordering the Potter set and apparently received it. So you should still be able to get one. I also need a replacement.

Damn....I'll remember that when I order the superman tretralogy.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

I haven't noticed any particular cheapness or problems with my E.T., CE3K, JP or Home Alone cases, I'll pay attention when I get this.

I think that is only since 2018. E.T. and CE3K were fine.

A friend of mine, who lives in Tokyo, Japan, just received his set and uploaded this "unboxing" video! 

Every time I see this box set, I'm amazed at the beauty of it. Maybe it's too beautiful for me to keep it locked up in a cupboard, after all.... :)

Well, I opened it. Holding this set in my hands felt like a final confirmation that this is no longer a dream. Quickly went through the whole thing and no CDs seem to be missing, nothing is scratched, no broken teeth... It's just perfect. Let the ripping begin.

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Well, I opened it. Holding this set in my hands felt like a final confirmation that this is no longer a dream. Quickly went through the whole thing and no CDs seem to be missing, nothing is scratched, no broken teeth... It's just perfect. Let the ripping begin.

glad it finally arrived! Enjoy it :) 

It’s an incredible release

This is not really about this set in particular, but about LLL's releases in general. Is it me, or do they choose really weird cases for their 1 and 2 CD releases? I'm not talking about the side that opens, but the other one. Whenever I press down on it slightly, they make cracking sounds and generally feel rather rickety, as though I should be lucky they haven't broken apart yet, unlike any other CDs I own. Is that because of the shipping or do they just use cases no one else uses?

I've also noticed the quality of the cases that the last handful of releases have been in. The ones which have "2 disc" or words to that effect embossed on the front spine-y bit. They're the same as the ones I would buy online to replace old scratched or broken cases. They just don't feel quite as robust as previous ones have. But hey.... it doesn't sound any different :)

Owen.... I'm just wondering about your misaligned cover.... (and this is me being very nit-picky) but does anyone else feel that the logo and text on the spine of the box are a bit too far over to the left? I'm wondering if when yours was assembled, the spine was first lined up to center the text, and it put the rest of it out. Just a maybe. Who knows. 

Anyway. Small whinges (Apart from Owen's box which certainly deserves a replacement, and good ol' LLL to the rescue it seems.) But what a brilliant set this is. And what an amazing time we've had, just sitting back and letting these incredible Williams releases come rolling in. It all feels truly special, and I can't thank everyone involved in the releases enough. 

The covers of the case are one big print, so if it's misaligned, it would be in the fabrication of the box. a tiny part of mine caught on a cd and ripped a tiny hole near the edge of the case revealing the white cardboard underneath.

My slipcase, upon close inspection, has many tiny scratches, especially noticeable on the gold letterings... Which is strange since the set came shrink wrapped.

But that's just nitpicking. I don't mind. 

While looking for some Harry Potter cue on YouTube I stumbled across this cover art.

How cool is this! Dunno who created this, but LLL should have used this (and also the original title PS)... Then the set really would have been perfect!

_20190102_160027.JPG

6 hours ago, Arpy said:

The covers of the case are one big print, so if it's misaligned, it would be in the fabrication of the box. a tiny part of mine caught on a cd and ripped a tiny hole near the edge of the case revealing the white cardboard underneath.

Yep, this is precisely what I mean. The big print is obviously wrapped around the box. But if whoever wrapped it made sure that the spine text was centered, that would have pushed the whole design over to the right, which is what seems to have happened when looking at the front of Owen's box. Because when the front design is in the right position, the spine text seems a bit over to the left. (of course, all assuming it was done by human hand)

Anyway. Not the most important observation in the universe, but it was on my mind!

17 hours ago, Josh500 said:

While looking for some Harry Potter cue on YouTube I stumbled across this cover art.

How cool is this! Dunno who created this, but LLL should have used this (and also the original title PS)... Then the set really would have been perfect!

But please without the ugly "The Deluxe Edition" band on top. I don't like cover art that indicate the label it was designed for/by. Intrada understood this and so they abolished their famous "Intrada Special Collection" logo to let the film-related artwork breath.

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

But please without the ugly "The Deluxe Edition" band on top. I don't like cover art that indicate the label it was designed for/by. Intrada understood this and so they abolished their famous "Intrada Special Collection" logo to let the film-related artwork breath.

Hmm, I don't particularly mind this, but in the case of LLL, it would probably say...

"EXPANDED ARCHIVAL COLLECTION".

Not sure whether this sounds better than "Deluxe Edition" or "Ultimate Edition" or "Special Edition," but I just really like this artwork of the emblem. Gives you a kind of long-lost, legendary, mythical LOTR feel! 

Well I got mine this morning and unfortunately as expected it arrived with corner damage, the very bane of my existence. This after begging for proper packaging. My local supplier sent it to the courier company in a plastic mailer bag with minimal wrapping.

Fortunately the dents are minimal but it detracts from the value of this set and the extreme amount of money I spent to acquire it.

I hate boxed sets.

IMG_20190104_0926138.jpg

IMG_20190104_0925224.jpg

IMG_20190104_0928093.jpg

4 hours ago, rough cut said:

I can’t see a dent nowhere. It looks fine. Enjoy the music, that’s what counts.

Here, let me help you:

IMG_20190104_0926138~2.jpg

4 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Yeah, hope the CDs themselves are fine, though! 

Honestly, the dents on the box are so minor, I probably wouldn't have noticed them even!

I have yet to tear open the shrink wrap, but at least I don't hear any loose bits jiggling about inside.

After paying $206 for this set I'd have hoped to receive it in pristine condition. Silly me. Yes, it could have been worse though.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

After paying $206 for this set I'd have hoped to receive it in pristine condition. Silly me. Yes, it could have been worse though.

WTH! 

$206 USD? Did you pay customs fee? Even with customs fee, it shouldn't be more than $150! Why is it so much?

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

It’ll be fine. In ten years, you won’t care.

I'm still a bit pissed off each time I see the quite noticeable corner dents on my Concord Indy box (and bonus CD sleeve), even though I ordered it ten years ago :D

My Supes Blue Box is pristine though.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

WTH! 

$206 USD? Did you pay customs fee? Even with customs fee, it shouldn't be more than $150! Why is it so much?

Welcome to my world. Shitty exchange rate and due to ridiculous foreign exchange controls and importation laws, I have to make use of a 3rd party importer, who of course take their cut and handle the customs clearance and duties/taxes. You First World people have no idea how privileged you are :)

25 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

That’s a pretty small thing to be complaining about and completely out of LLL’s control.

Where did I blame LLL for this? If anything I blame my importer for disregarding my request for extra padding and a box rather than a FedEx plastic mailer (seriously, who puts something like this in a plastic mailer, ffs).

9 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Welcome to my world. Shitty exchange rate and due to ridiculous foreign exchange controls and importation laws, I have to make use of a 3rd party importer, who of course take their cut and handle the customs clearance and duties/taxes.:D

OK, sorry to hear that.

But where are you located again? 

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I'm still a bit pissed off each time I see the quite noticeable corner dents on my Concord Indy box (and bonus CD sleeve), even though I ordered it ten years ago :D

...but I bet you don’t care as much after you’ve put on that Raider’s March! 😉

7 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

The HP box goes up there with the LotR boxes as lovely collector's items and definitive.

I too think this is the definitive edition. The only thing they might do is to reissue this sometime in the future, again as a boxset or individually. But probably not for a long time!

45 minutes ago, redishere said:

Black Friday 2021: Harry Potter John Williams Collection — Definitive Shawm Edition

I know this is a joke but... 

Do you think people would be willing to spend another 100-200 bucks (depending on your location and shipping fee) just to have another HP set with the complete Shawm? 😂 

I don't know if it was already reported somewhere here, but an interesting trivia/curiosity about the first score that Mike's excellent liner notes don't mention is the unusual fact that Williams debuted "Hedwig's Theme" in concert several months before the film opened--he conducted the piece at the annual Tanglewood on Parade gala concert that was held in July 31, 2001.

You can find the program of that concert here:

https://cdm15982.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/PROG/id/665707

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

I don't know if it was already reported somewhere here, but an interesting trivia/curiosity about the first score that Mike's excellent liner notes don't mention is the unusual fact that Williams debuted "Hedwig's Theme" in concert several months before the film opened--he conducted the piece at the annual Tanglewood on Parade gala concert that was held in July 31, 2001.

You can find the program of that concert here:

https://cdm15982.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/PROG/id/665707

Oh! That’s cool! Thanks for sharing

I unsealed my set last night and thankfully the cases and discs themselves are in pristine condition. Too bad I probably won't get to listen to this until mid-Feb as we are packing up our house to move and I'll be away on business for the 1st two weeks of February.

4 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I unsealed my set last night and thankfully the cases and discs themselves are in pristine condition. Too bad I probably won't get to listen to this until mid-Feb as we are packing up our house to move and I'll be away on business for the 1st two weeks of February.

You can't rip a few CDs? Or listen to the CDs themselves? 

Nope. Just too busy and no time to sit and listen to anything. House a mess, boxes everywhere, exhausted from packing and moving things to storage, and next week I have to paint and do some repairs before handing the place back to the landlord. Work awaits tomorrow too. 

Quick question, @Jay, sorry if was asked before and I don't remember: were three separate releases ever considered for these scores or was it always concieved as a massive 3-score boxset?

I absolutely adore the art design based on a quick flip-through; it's just a tiny bit weird with all the other uniformness how all discs feature promo shots with the actors looking into the camera except for the McGonagall and Sirius one which are obvious and recogniseable screencap cutouts.

Another minor correction to the lyrics: the ghosts sing "ring the Hogwart bell", not Hogwarts. 

Only read the outer booklet so far, love Williams' Children Suite notes and of course that last page with the quote is pure heatwarming perfection.

The PS liner notes are damn good: I get now what Mike meant in all those interviews in seizing this opportunity to teach, with explaining the scoring and recording process, leitmotifs and such; but it's also comprehensive and enjoyable, not spoonfeeding.

"represents what should properly be called the Philosopher's Stone, a well-known legendary mythical substance, but is called the Sorcerer's Stone in the United States because of a title change imposed by the American publisher" Savage. I'm sure Mike had a few more select words in mind especially after WB insisted on the stupider title.

P.S.: PS booklet Page 24: "including Ron Weasley and Hermione Grainger, who become" ;)