Harry Potter 7CD Collection - Pictures, unboxing videos, and art design / liner notes discussion

Jay

This is weird: nowhere does the booklet state which choir sang the vocal version of Hogwarts Forever!, unless the London Voices had a secret kid's section. If it was the London Oratory Boys' choir, then Paul Broucek, (then) executive music producer at New Line Cinema, has given us a clue to this hidden unknown recording's existence in the Two Towers' Appendices back in late 2003!

Did Jim have any contact with MinaLima during the process? They did all the graphic design for the films and be matched their styles superbly!

And here come I to ruin it with more nitpicking: the Azkaban notes say the alternate Knight Bus has a Black section from the OST, as well as the squeeze play with calliope instead of accordion. Was that an error that got through or was that the original idea for the presentation and somebody just forgot to update the text like with the London program?

On 1/11/2019 at 7:45 AM, Bilbo said:

Did Jim have any contact with MinaLima during the process? They did all the graphic design for the films and be matched their styles superbly!

It would be amazing to read an interview with Jim about his design work on this set. He perfectly matched the tone of the films, I'm guessing he used a lot of the actual studio assets (like fonts) to assemble the set. 

Additional small but welcome detail I just noticed: the Hogwarts crest above the Hogwarts Forever lyrics could be seen as a small bit for context, but actually perfectly explains and contextualises without additional lengthy words what could be completely baffling and nonsensical to anyone not overly familiar with the deeper lore: Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus, which is present in the lyrics, is Hogwarts' motto, seen under its crest.

10 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

LLL is never going to top this for this year's BF.

I'm sad to say that's probably completely true: Indy and SW won't be LLL. There's just nothing else on this scale for them to do.

On 1/12/2019 at 2:54 AM, Holko said:

And here come I to ruin it with more nitpicking: the Azkaban notes say the alternate Knight Bus has a Black section from the OST, as well as the squeeze play with calliope instead of accordion. Was that an error that got through or was that the original idea for the presentation and somebody just forgot to update the text like with the London program?

It was of course always the plan to include the film/calliope version in the main program and the OST/accordion version in the bonus tracks.

That's just a typo we all missed, like the "Window to the Past" one.  Oh well.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

It was of course always the plan to include the film/calliope version in the main program and the OST/accordion version in the bonus tracks.

That's just a typo we all missed, like the "Window to the Past" one.  Oh well.

I think we all can live with these little typos Jay. The music is there after all. :)

On 1/15/2019 at 9:36 PM, Richard Penna said:

LLL is never going to top this for this year's BF.

For me, the only thing that will ever top this set would be the Star Wars prequels.... Which, as we know, probably won't be a LLL title.

So it follows that LLL will never top this. This was LLL's best title in its history, past and future.

And the dreaded day arrives: one of the corners of the black PS middle with the nub that holds the sides in broke off. Superglue seems fine so far, just weird having to use it on a 100$ set.

Thanks for the tip! Since it's the corner, it's the farthest possible place from the disc so I will notice in time. I don't even think it's superglue, just some strong universal glue.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

And the dreaded day arrives: one of the corners of the black PS middle with the nub that holds the sides in broke off. Superglue seems fine so far, just weird having to use it on a 100$ set.

Be grateful it's something that can be replaced cheaply (unlike my dented corner box). 

Just saying...

14 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Careful with superglue. That kind of glue tends to "eat" some kinds of plastic. I used it in tomorrow ultimate edition broken teeth and and it almost damaged the cd over a few years.

I would never do that! The risk of a tiny bit of superglue getting on the precious CDs and damaging them irrevocably would be too great! 

4 hours ago, Josh500 said:

At first glance this looks like you put the CDs and the box on a bunch of kitchen knives... 😂 

But I'm sure nobody is that crazy! 

Kitchen knives?!!! So rough cut was the one who knifed my box!

Mystery solved!

On 1/22/2019 at 2:38 AM, rough cut said:

Gotta stay sharp, if you know what I mean! 😂

Is that why you chose that name? Or does it have another meaning!? 😂 

2 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I’ve had that name here on the board for 10+ years... so....

Yes! Of course! It’s all been an elaborate scheme, biding my time untill Inky got a defective delivery... It was a long wait, but it sure was worth it!

Yeah, I meant, when you originally chose that name, was the message or meaning behind it "stay sharp"? Because rough cut is a rather unusual name.

Oh, I thought you were making a pun. But this is a serious question, one that feeds directly into my ego!

Well, no, nothing to do with ‘stay sharp’.

It’s a play on words, hinting at the first draft of something, that can go two ways upon completion... into oblivion or into greatness.

2 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Oh, I thought you were making a pun. But this is a serious question, one that feeds directly into my ego!

Well, no, nothing to do with ‘stay sharp’.

It’s a play on words, hinting at the first draft of something, that can go two ways upon completion... into oblivion or into greatness.

Great answer! 😄👍

• 2 weeks later...

So I just finished reading the liner notes (minus the general booklet) and quite enjoyed them, but something in HP3 doesn't add up: the booklet says that The Patronus Power is an alternate for Harry's first Patronus (in class, I guess), but in the sheet music, it's presumably an alternate for the Patronus cast during the pre-Time Turner Dementor confrontation. So which one is it, really?

"The Patronus Power" recording does not match any of the leaked sheet music, so you seem to have been misinformed by someone.

The page called "4M14 Insert for Patronus Light" in the sheet music leak is not anywhere on the LLL CD (who knows if it was recorded or not)

1 minute ago, Jay said:

The page called "4M14 Insert for Patronus Light" in the sheet music leak is not anywhere on the LLL CD (who knows if it was recorded or not)

Wouldn't those people who worked on the LLL set know that?

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

"The Patronus Power" recording does not match any of the leaked sheet music, so you seem to have been misinformed by someone.

But then... why is that segment in Data's edit in 6m5 pt II?

EDIT: Oh, sorry, only the beginning is similar/the same. The LLL track has more expressive choir and a different ending. So The Patronus Power is just inspired by an early draft of First Frozen Lake.

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

no..sad for him because i fear his disc could be defective.

It's definitely defective.  It's not scratched or anything, though.  Weird.  I assume getting a replacement won't be TOO big a hassle.  I certainly hope not!

Seriously, ten years ago, i would assume offically printed CDs were faulty-free (and they were...). Now it seems we have to listen carefully to our CDs just in case there is some glitch, as some of them have faults (exclusive to them, not a general pressing or mastering error i mean). I dont have time to listen to CDs with detail and headphones as i did on my youth anymore...now i listen to them while doing things on the house and small glitches would go unnoticed. I would hate noticing the error like 5 years after i bought the CD... :(

6 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Seriously, ten years ago, i would assume offically printed CDs were faulty-free (and they were...). Now it seems we have to listen carefully to our CDs just in case there is some glitch, as some of them have faults (exclusive to them, not a general pressing or mastering error i mean). I dont have time to listen to CDs with detail and headphones as i did on my youth anymore...now i listen to them while doing things on the house and small glitches would go unnoticed. I would hate noticing the error like 5 years after i bought the CD... :(

Yeah I was reminded that The Book Thief had an obvious really audible glitch either due to manufacturing error or mastering error. And this wasn't an isolated incident as one of my friends had a copy with the exact same glitch on it on the track Learning to Write. Shoddy work.

12 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I've always heard glitches on CDs and the one glitch I've heard on this set is nowhere near as obvious as some that I've heard from older discs. The Star Trek - First Contact OST springs to mind for me. The track 'Temporal Wake' had pretty clear glitches, at least on my copy of the CD.

We're probably just more sensitive to them now.