Harry Potter 7CD Collection - Pictures, unboxing videos, and art design / liner notes discussion

Jay

6 minutes ago, Alan said:

I've always heard glitches on CDs and the one glitch I've heard on this set is nowhere near as obvious as some that I've heard from older discs. The Star Trek - First Contact OST springs to mind for me. The track 'Temporal Wake' had pretty clear glitches, at least on my copy of the CD.

We're probably just more sensitive to them now.

We demand flawless quality. Or we'll throw a hissy fit! And no record labels want that! Because quite frankly it looks so embarrasing.

Hissy fits I tell you! Hissy fits! :stick:

And I am happy to say my copy of the Potter box didn't have any glitches (apart from the damaged outer box which LLL kindly replaced). The discs were all fine and in their place when I opened the case and none of the teeth (most importantly!) were out of place.

11 hours ago, Alan said:

I've always heard glitches on CDs and the one glitch I've heard on this set is nowhere near as obvious as some that I've heard from older discs. The Star Trek - First Contact OST springs to mind for me. The track 'Temporal Wake' had pretty clear glitches, at least on my copy of the CD.

We're probably just more sensitive to them now.

My wallet is more sensitive thats for sure... Lately I'm mostly buying expensive expanded scores...so one asumes that translates to premium quality...but it is not, sometimes.

10 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Depends whether you use 'premium' to describe the collectible value of the overall package, or just the fact that it costs more because it has tons of music.

All we want is alternate covers, fold-out posters and stickers! That is deluxe!

• 2 months later...

Now I now why Titus doesn't do a Potter behance. Look at the outer booklet, Harry's shirt's collar, left side for us. There's a weird tear/wrinke on it. Turn to page 11 which has the Struzand poster and you can see that tear is actually the Warwick Davis Gringotts goblin's ear that he just cropped in and presumably forgot to touch out. Ah well. Proof that even the greatest can make mistakes.

• 2 years later...

I'm re-reading the liner notes for HP1 and it says that before recording began, Wanberg was in charge of the spotting notes and cue breakdowns. My question is, what is the point of those two? I mean, if they're about to record the score, why not just record what's in the sheet music? At that point, what does the spotting even matter anymore? The music has already been finished.

• 5 months later...

That article is fantastic! Always love seeing Titus' unused concepts, which are often more interesting/daring than the comparatively conservative final designs (after various layers of studio management have their input).

Those unused concepts for the slipcase (with the stencil of Hogwarts as the focal point) are absolutely stunning! Both are much nicer than the final slipcase IMO.

Hopefully he's able to repurpose some of these abandoned designs in future sets (a Desplat or Hooper box). 

Thanks for sharing @FrankV, seeing Jim's process and all the suggestions he went through is great, although it's a shame that some of the other slipcase designs where much more interesting than what we got, but sometimes less is more I guess?

The Daily Prophet art would in a way make more sense for a Hooper box since those fly-through newspaper montages are such a visual motif in OOTP. A Desplat set could use the great "burning Hogwarts" one-sheet somehow. Target used it for their exclusive DH:2 Bluray which is what I have, it's rad. 

The Harris vs Gambon debate is always fun lol, it even extends to soundtrack art. I guess an alternative would be to put Harris and Smith on COS which is always a cute pairing, and then bump Rickman to POA where he has more iconic moments anyway. But I like having Gambon on Azkaban, I think it makes sense, he's a unique color of the movie. Poor Thewlis, even though he's the heart of the movie, he loses on overall points to Dumbledore and the POA himself. 

Actually I would say arguably the bigger miss than Harris is Robbie Coltrane. There's an argument for replacing Smith or Rickman on COS since Hagrid is more crucial to that movie than either, but who wants to lose those two? Choices, choices. 

18 hours ago, FrankV said:

Jim Titus has posted an article about his artwork for Harry Potter: The John Williams Soundtracks Collection:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/134182645/The-Harry-Potter-John-Williams-Collection

Finally had a chance to go through this.  Wow, fantastic stuff here.  Jim Titus is just a legend in the field.

Either one of the two possible slipcase ideas that would have used his amazing render of the Hogwarts castle would have been so much better than the final slipcover we got.  The Wizarding World people who mandated it couldn't be used are idiots

I really like Unused Concept #1.

I've also never really been a fan of the borders around the covers - they feel like they have too much contrast with the darker covers. Can't win everything.

That alternate cover art is awesome though! I'll be switching at least PoA to the one he couldn't get rights for.

Hmm, I do love second unused concept (and appreciate the others too), but I'm very attached to the clean simple final box design that carries the borders through. I dunno, I look at II and it just doesn't click like "THAT's the one" for me. Maybe it feels too Art Deco overall with that border, maybe the title is cramped into too small a space, maybe I just didn't have as much time to accept it. I still think this set is Titus' best work. Even with the covers, even with the common tracklist booklet image having the goblin's ear cropped in that he now sneakily fixed.:lol:

That prominent red really pushes it into "no" territory for me. Good concept and I love the textured version above but the common external box should be more neutral than that, the red/yellow, green, blue colour coding is on the inside.

15 hours ago, Jay said:

What do you mean? The art in the article?  Yea, you just right click it.

Doesn’t matter which browser I use, there is no “save image as” button when I right click.

8 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Doesn’t matter which browser I use, there is no “save image as” button when I right click.

Doing this in Firefox - left click on the image so that it's the focus at the forefront. Right click - inspect - left click the picture. A line of HTML code is highlighted, open it down with the arrow or 3 dots, that shows the image source as a direct link, double click in it, copy, paste into the search bar on top, bam you have the original big picture open and ready to save as. Yes, it's a hassle.

image.png

image.png

You don't have yo go that deep in the weeds to get the images. 

When you're in the inspect view, just click Application / Frames / Images and you get a list of every image in the page and can save any ones you like 

EDIT: That's for Chrome, Firefox doesn't seem to have an equivalent feature in their Inspect view?