Harry Potter 7CD Collection - Pictures, unboxing videos, and art design / liner notes discussion

Jay

14 hours ago, Holko said:

I still think this set is Titus' best work. Even with the covers, even with the common tracklist booklet image having the goblin's ear cropped in that he now sneakily fixed.:lol:

Ha! I pulled mine off the shelf and yup, the goblin's ear is on his collar.  How about that.  I wonder if later pressings fixed it?

Yeah, that alternate art, especially the first castle design, was glorious! Shame we didn't get it instead of the dull BLACK lol. But yeah, I echo that it is amazing the set even exists at all (similar emotions for the Jurassic Park/Lost World set, haha).

10 hours ago, Holko said:

Doing this in Firefox... Yes, it's a hassle.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

When you're in the inspect view, just click Application / Frames / Images and you get a list of every image in the page and can save any ones you like 

EDIT: That's for Chrome, Firefox doesn't seem to have an equivalent feature in their Inspect view?

Thank you both!

Well it's not sold out. Eventually LLL will have more in stock at retail price. They are just temporarily out of stock

3 hours ago, Holko said:

I'd say this is the key idea to focus on.

That person had long time so far to buy it and chose not to..

Also, in the future the second copy can be sold to another person if we really want to.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I listened to and knew of only John Williams' major label releases for years and years before very randomly discovering the existence of JWFan and only then did I learn about these limited physical only special editions that actually have all the music.

Same here. Maybe the first clue was seeing the JP set on the Shrine and thinking how professional and thorough these fan edit covers were getting.

3 minutes ago, Antonb said:

Or maybe that person has to put other priorities first like  bills and putting food on the table for his kids  etc.  And now is more established and doesn’t have to spend as much on his kids etc . Yea some people don’t have money to burn! 

Very true!

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

People here might be surprised how many really passionate film score enthusiasts have no idea the specialty labels exist.  These labels spend almost nothing on marketing, which is fine, I know this isn't a cash-cow business and their budgets are better spent on the products, but it does mean that it's very hard to reach people that don't already know of their existence.  I listened to and knew of only John Williams' major label releases for years and years before very randomly discovering the existence of JWFan and only then did I learn about these limited physical only special editions that actually have all the music.

So what I'm saying is, not only are people newly becoming fans of scores every day, but even long-time fans are newly discovering releases like these all the time.

You know, while I don't doubt for a second that there's a lot of truth in that, it needs to be said that the general HP fanbase didn't give a shit about this release. The news sites go crazy whenever Evanna Lynch is interviewed for the 58th time about something, but nobody, NOBODY discussed this amazing set when it came out. SnitchSeeker had a brief article about it three days or more after its announcement, and even that was a copy-paste thing and one person reviewed it. Mugglecast didn't cover it at all and they cover the most insane things. TheLeakyCauldron was also oblivious.

Does the lack of discussion/noise/hype bother you, or others here?

Even amongst HP fans we're still talking about a very niche product and I suspect that most would just play Hedwig's Theme and refer to it as 'the Harry Potter theme. I was talking to a friend last week whose young relative was really excited about going to the HP shop at King's Cross, and I'd be amazed if they'd even heard the score, full stop.

I get the impression that some in our community take the visibility of these projects very seriously, like these sets are 'ambassadors' for the composer, and that a lack of discussion or praise (or product flaws) are taken more seriously than they need to be, because they are seen as blemishes on Williams' public image. Is that an unfair assessment?

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

You know, while I don't doubt for a second that there's a lot of truth in that, it needs to be said that the general HP fanbase didn't give a shit about this release. The news sites go crazy whenever Evanna Lynch is interviewed for the 58th time about something, but nobody, NOBODY discussed this amazing set when it came out. SnitchSeeker had a brief article about it three days or more after its announcement, and even that was a copy-paste thing and one person reviewed it. Mugglecast didn't cover it at all and they cover the most insane things. TheLeakyCauldron was also oblivious.

Wowzers.  I had no clue about any of this stuff, and that is truly pathetic

7 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Most people just don't care about soundtracks.

Right, but they do buy editions of the books in languages they can't read, they do buy wands and Time-Turners etc. That's what I mean, why is the music so unimportant to those people?

45 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

In my case, it is. I'm not doing it for JW at all, why would I, I just find it incomprehensible that this particular fan community completely ignored such a box set.

You are right. For some time I was visiting a Star Wars fan page. And the recognized and published every small single news about any new Star Wars score edition or publcation. Why not Harry Potter fans?

1 minute ago, Antonb said:

I think one major reason is that the new generation can now own there Favourite movies very quickly.  Back in the day , the soundtrack was a way to own and remember  your favourite movie. It used to be years before you could rent a movie, let alone own one.

Very true.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Most humans just don't enjoying listening to film scores.  We're a very, very, very, very, very small percentage of the planet.

Hmmmm that could very well be true but, how do we look at film music concerts, with orchestras surviving only because these actually sell out multiple nights in a row?

Or is it just that even less people enjoy classical music? :(

46 minutes ago, Remco said:

Hmmmm that could very well be true but, how do we look at film music concerts, with orchestras surviving only because these actually sell out multiple nights in a row?

In the meantime the Classic Radio station here plays about 30% film music. 

1 hour ago, Remco said:

I think a very large percentage of the people who attend those concerts do not spend a lot of their free time listening to other film music. 

I didn't wait fifteen years in Azkaban to finally see and hear these scores officially released for some hipster twits to beg for vinyl. - Sirius Black

13 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Snitchseeker also tweeted this with a link to their article, reposting the LLL press release. Honestly, though, I suspect there could have easily been confusion from fans around whether these were just the original soundtracks being re-boxed for a "cash grab". It's true that it doesn't seem like anybody paid much attention to it overall. 

I think you may have hit upon the problem with that tweet - even those slightly more soundtrack-oriented than the average HP fan are going to look at that and think... JW's 3 scores in one box... probably already bought those when the movies came out.... pass.

I mean, think about the pressing quantities - 5000 for this box for the entire world. That's basically no one, and that's the harsh truth - no one else cares about this interest of ours.

Star Wars would surely get more public attention than this, but it's going to have the same problem - the average SW fan (not all of whom will be crazy about the music) will look at a hypothetical MM set and not have a clue what's different about it.

33 minutes ago, David Müller said:

What was wrong with them?

Inaudible, technically lower quality album sources used in a few tracks. Absolutely not worth taking a HP set away from someone over, as opposed to Schindler where the worse quality sources are very much audible.

Thank you. I don't have LLL's Schindler (I'm happy with the original release) so can't compare but HP3 sounds incredible. Either really inaudible or I have a fixed version. I bought the set february 2021 directly from LLL.

The human ear can't really tell the difference between the first pressing and the second pressing.  And if you bought it in 2021 you have the fixed pressing anyway.

Schindler is absolutely worth picking up.  Of course one can be happy with the OST album and ALSO enjoy the brilliant additional music John Williams recorded at the same time that we now get to hear on the second disc.  Some really wonderful music there, including music Spielberg used in the film that Williams didn't put on the OST.

16 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I was shocked and disappointed when I saw Azkaban LTP how many people in the audience just got up and started walking out as soon as the credits started, chattering away over the orchestra like it was a movie theater. It's not like the lights came on or anything, people were just fumbling around in the dark. It's one thing to be more used to casual concert etiquette where you can socialize during the performance but to get up and leave while they're playing, that's some shit. It's really disrespectful, they should make an announcement at the beginning or something to please stay seated. 

I've been to two LTP (Raiders and E.T.) and that was my same experience.  Both at a prominent symphony orchestra, as well.  It really wasn't until like a full minute into the end credits people started to realize you should be quiet (probably cause they didn't turn the lights on yet)

But yes I agree....the casual viewer really doesn't care, so I think it's on the venue to give a heads up to be quiet until all music is done.

You could barely hear that beautiful piano intro in the E.T. end credits.  :(

If they ever do a Temple of Doom LTP.....I will obviously try to go, but probably lose my mind if people clap and cheer during the intertwined Indy and Short Round themes.  :lol:

14 hours ago, Bellosh said:

I've been to two LTP (Raiders and E.T.) and that was my same experience.  Both at a prominent symphony orchestra, as well.  It really wasn't until like a full minute into the end credits people started to realize you should be quiet (probably cause they didn't turn the lights on yet)

So disappointing to hear this, that seems incredibly disrespectful to the orchestra.

When I saw TFA with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, the conductor (Nicholas Buc, of Art of the Score podcast fame) made a brief speech before starting the second half. He mentioned cues to listen out for, then hyped the end credits suite as one of the score's highlights. When the credits started, there was a brief applause but everyone remained seated and silent for the entirety of the suite (resuming their applause once the orchestra finished).

So maybe it's a cultural thing? Without sounding pretentious, Melbourne is considered the arts capital of Australia.

1 hour ago, crypto said:

Maybe it's a cultural thing? Without sounding pretentious, Melbourne is considered the arts capital of Australia.

These were at the Boston Symphony Orchestra I might add.  Granted they weren't as 'rowdy' as that aforementioned Harry Potter LTP I quoted (I wonder how much that's just the HP fan base though lol).

But yeah, it was very strange.