Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

Yeah, hope it's not immediately and obviously noticeable (which I very much doubt)!

If it is not, it's fine, I guess. I'm sure MM did everything possible with what he had, and if there was just no other way, then so be it! 

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Well, the OST has those exact bits with no cutoff.

But that was 14 years ago! 

Maybe in the meantime something had changed or got lost... 

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

But it would actually be cool to get an official answer on what happened (because some cues are definitely lossy, no doubt about that).

Really? Ouch

I probably said this in the "samples" thread but I'm super excited to hear "The Diary" for that wind sound. It's maybe one of my favorite pieces JW has done, after "Palpatine's Seduction" from ROTS.

Entering the Diary is an editorially created tracked cue, it's not on the set. (though look later this week for my recreation of it)

The synth wind material you're thinking of that was used in it will be found in Christmas Morning and the Invisibility Cloak.

11 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

I'm super excited to hear "The Diary" for that wind sound. It's maybe one of my favorite pieces JW has done, after "Palpatine's Seduction" from ROTS.

Isn't that the same effect you can already hear on the HP1 OST album in the Invisibility Cloak track?

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Isn't that the same effect you can already hear on the HP1 OST album in the Invisibility Cloak track?

Wait, is it?! 

So this is what you call "stupidity". It is used to describe somebody who is not smart.

I've been living in another city for a while now and haven't been following the discussion on the Harry Potter release.

So, the sessions for the first 2 films have become obsolete with this release? everything is there?

7 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I've been living in another city for a while now and haven't been following the discussion on the Harry Potter release.

So, the sessions for the first 2 films have become obsolete with this release? everything is there?

Strictly technically no - the HP1 sessions have different takes and rehearsals for a track or two, although with no actual written differences, those aren't included. Aside from that, these sets have everything and more.

On 12/11/2018 at 1:12 PM, filmmusic said:

There is nothing in the HP2 session leak that is not on the release.

The only thing in the HP1 session leak not on this release are the full unedited TAKES of unused music (Diagon Alley, Lonely First Night, Owl's Flight) where the LLL of course only includes the final assembly of selected takes... and the film ending of Hagrid's Flute where it cuts off awkwardly.

2 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

This set confirms to me that Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is totally better than The Prisoner of Azkaban.  

In terms of the film or the score?

6 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

This set confirms to me that Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is totally better than The Prisoner of Azkaban.  

Totally better is an exaggeration, I think, but for me (like I said many times) PS and PoA are on the same level score-wise, meaning both are masterpieces. They're just different types of scores, but equally good nonetheless. 

When it comes to movies I slightly prefer PS over PoA. 

1 minute ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Score.  You guys can have your "diverse styles and abstract impressionism", I'll take my elongated suites of orchestral warmth!

Why not both?

33 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Score.  You guys can have your "diverse styles and abstract impressionism", I'll take my elongated suites of orchestral warmth!

I see what you mean, I used to say I preferred Azkaban, but I really adore the warmth in Philosopher's Stone.
Still have to listen to the full Azkaban score, so I'll wait :D 

24 minutes ago, Alex said:

If I wanted to import the CDs onto iTunes, what’s the best format to use? (e.g. AAC encoder)

If you want lossless, then import alac (m4a).

6 hours ago, Josh500 said:

That's reassuring.

I'm an audiophile, but if I don't notice it, I wouldn't mind.

I can't hear any problems with the sound at all :)

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I think Stone is clearly the superior complete listening experience. It’s really something how it all holds together.

Azkaban struggles a bit in that vein because of how it stops and starts with all those short cues but there’s nothing quite like it when it’s on fire. 

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Just select Apple Lossless Encoder from the drop down in the import settings

Will that give me “the best” quality if I’m listening on an iPod?

4 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I think Stone is clearly the superior complete listening experience. It’s really something how it all holds together.

Azkaban struggles a bit in that vein because of how it stops and starts with all those short cues but there’s nothing quite like it when it’s on fire. 

The first one is really a bit too much of everything: too repetitive, too overbearing, too sugary, but whittled down (the first half especially) to a good 75-minute selection it's one of Williams best in that particular vein. I prefer the more lean soundscape of POA by a country mile - even better when it comes with a bit of brevity. 

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

The end credits for POA (which is awesome btw) was written as one 7 minute suite? Or was Hedwig’s Theme edited on?

It's from the standard "Hedwig's Theme" concert arrangement, but it's newly recorded as part of the Azkaban suite, it was not an existing performance grafted on to the end.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have the set yet, but that's my understanding.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's from the standard "Hedwig's Theme" concert arrangement, but it's newly recorded as part of the Azkaban suite, it was not an existing performance grafted on to the end.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have the set yet, but that's my understanding.

Definitely sounds newly recorded - and awesome!

5 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

You've lost me.

Frequencies above 16kHz are clipped on the LLL for some reason, while the same passages of music are not clipped on the OST. 

56 minutes ago, Alex said:

The end credits for POA (which is awesome btw) was written as one 7 minute suite? Or was Hedwig’s Theme edited on?

It was written exactly as its presented here.  You can see for yourself by checking out the sheet music leak.

That being said, the entire Hedwig's Theme section of course used existing sheets from 2001, they didn't re-write all that down all over again.  in the sheet music leak, you can see the end credits in there twice - once with a handwritten note indicating which bars from the Hedwig's Theme Signature Edition to use, and again with those Signature Edition pages literally copied and pasted in place and re-numbered to the new bar numbers.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

This is indeed a bizarre issue.Untitled-1.jpg

Yeah, the question is: where does this issue come from? From the music source MM used? Or from a mixing/mastering mistake?

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

and any fan who wishes to do so could replace them with the same passages taken from the OST album if desired.

My exact thought. Luckily these cutoffs are only present on a few small segments, all of which are on the OST. Everything else is perfect.