Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

Agreed! 

But for me, it's the whole set. I'm starting to think of these 3 Harry Potter John Williams scores as one big giant symphonies, with three movements. :)

Well then I've got even more to look forward to on Christmas (saving HP1 and 2).

4 minutes ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

Well then I've got even more to look forward to on Christmas (saving HP1 and 2).

Oh you have only listened to PoA so far?

Yeah, you'll be blown away! 

Just now, Josh500 said:

Oh you have only listened to PoA so far?

Yeah, you'll be blown away! 

I'm excited. I made that whole video with just PoA and I can't finish it because I need other HP scores to do it and that just eats away at me.

22 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Wait, so that awful POA trailer 2 music was Williams?

Jay said it’s probably library music. It just happened to be included in the archive provided.

4 hours ago, Alan said:

Oh wow. I LOVE this recording of it! I think the orchestra are on terrific form and there's a wonderful energy to it.

Same. They were re-recording why not do something different with it.

4 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Were was The Patronus Power supposed to go?

That was another question I meant to ask @Jay. I really did not take great mental notes. Lol

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I want to cry.

Do I have the right to write that in the MUSIC thread?

Depends. Are you writing that because of the music or because of your own problems that you have buried deep inside?

Depends. Are you writing that because of the music or because of your own problems that you have buried deep inside?

I wrote that because I still don't have any music to listen to!

😭

Christmas is already enough depressing.  I did'nt saw that coming!!!

Just now, Bespin said:

😭

Ohhh. Well that's completely legitimate. You are still commenting on the music, even if it's about how you don't have it.

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The music is perfect, I love this set. I love Mike Matessino. I love everyone.

😭😭😭

Weren't you one of the ones just criticizing it a couple pages ago or am I mistaking you for somebody else? (I'd check myself but I'm lazy.)

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I have serious memory losses since few years.

😀

Didn't you also say you wanted to get off alcohol? Or am I confusing this with someone else?

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

Says the Nazi! 😂 

Gee, I wonder why everyone ignores you.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

😭

Christmas is already enough depressing.  I did'nt saw that coming!!!

You must create a new NO HARRY POTTER SET SORROW-thread to discuss that. It doesn't belong here.

And why is Christmas depressing enough?

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

Says the Nazi! 😂 

I feel eminently offended.

2 hours ago, MrJosh said:

Anyway, I should probably know the answer to this but, what was "The Stone" supposed to score? 

It's used in the film right where it's chronologically placed in the set.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's used in the film right where it's chronologically placed in the set.

Thanks Jay, I had a moment of dumb! 

2 hours ago, MrJosh said:

I adore the 'family' theme, my two favorite cues being 'A Change of Season' and 'Leaving Hogwarts. '

Dude same! The family theme is really standing out to me this time around. Really miss it in the later scores.

Can we just take a minute to appreciate the remastering of "The Werewolf Scene"? it's just such a change with all the drums and I love the melody that the strings are doing in that early bit.

1 hour ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

Can we just take a minute to appreciate the remastering of "The Werewolf Scene"? it's just such a change with all the drums and I love the melody that the strings are doing in that early bit.

Agreed!

I loved that track even on the OST album, but on this new set, it's even better! 

2 hours ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

Can we just take a minute to appreciate the remastering of "The Werewolf Scene"? 

Everything about this scene is just perfect, music and film wise! Love the fight scene (scored with kickass brass), and then the low strings coming in heavy when the gang starts running at 2:07!

Just now, Josh500 said:

Everything about this scene is perfect, music and film wise! Love the fight scene (scored with brass), and then the strings coming in heavy when the gang starts running at 2:07!

In the opening there are these great drums that are mixed into different channels in a way that just shows the mass of the orchestra. Whatever type of drum that is, or types, there's more than one. I love it so much.

53 minutes ago, Faleel J.M. said:

Finally finished a CoS suite of unreleased music, using Appendix E from Holko's Analysis:

Don't take it the wrong way, but are you allowed to post music like this on YouTube (even if it's just excerpts)!? Isn't that a copyright violation or something? 

Just curious.

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Don't take it the wrong way, but are you allowed to post music like this on YouTube (even if it's just excerpts)!? Isn't that a copyright violation or something? 

Just curious.

I never see copyright stuff happen with unreleased music. 

In the opening there are these great drums that are mixed into different channels in a way that just shows the mass of the orchestra. Whatever type of drum that is, or types, there's more than one. 

Yeah, agreed! 

You mean the one starting at 0:15 in the above video, right? This sounds very unique. I think it's supposed to mimic the heartbeat (or the blood pumping through the veins, not to put too fine a point on it), as the werewolf transformation commences...

1 hour ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

I never see copyright stuff happen with unreleased music. 

Yeah, but now it has been released!

1 hour ago, Faleel J.M. said:

Depending on who owns the rights, sometimes they will just slap information about the music used in the video description.

Ah OK.

Love these suites of film scores found on YouTube. I don't listen to JW scores there, since I own them all, but I listen to many JG scores and many other harder to find ones, before I go out and buy the albums...

44 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Hey gang! I decided to perform a little magic. It's the film version of Double Trouble WITH TOADS (and no sound effects):

Welp, looks like I gotta step up my game here. (stuff like that is my hobby.) Well done, sir!

In the opening there are these great drums that are mixed into different channels in a way that just shows the mass of the orchestra. Whatever type of drum that is, or types, there's more than one.

Not 100% sure, but this same kind of sound was achieved in TPM using the same (kind of) drums! Aren't these Japanese taiko drums?

@TSMefford

Nice! An impeccable edit. I bet you were singing "Double Trouble..." while you were working on it... :D

3 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Not 100% sure, but this same kind of sound was achieved in TPM using the same (kind of) drums! Aren't these Japanese taiko drums?

@TSMefford

Nice! An impeccable edit. I bet you were singing "Double Trouble..." while you were working on it... :D

It could be Taikos. ROTS gets that sound too a couple of times.

It could be Taikos. ROTS gets that sound too a couple of times.

I think this is it. Sounds and looks awesome, anyway...

3 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I think this is it. Sounds and looks awesome, anyway...

I've seen taikos before. They're fantastic and I love them. I just really love how well it's mixed in the album. I like the big hits that break that heartbeat pattern and make it sound like some kind of battle march.

6 hours ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

Welp, looks like I gotta step up my game here. (stuff like that is my hobby.) Well done, sir!

Mine as well! I love hearing everyone’s edits so keep on!

I was having a lot of trouble getting everything to match while removing the Fx, then I had a rather odd idea that worked out!

2 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Mine as well! I love hearing everyone’s edits so keep on!

I was having a lot of trouble getting everything to match while removing the Fx, then I had a rather odd idea that worked out!

My setup is likely a bit more primitive than yours. I use Logic Pro and sync up the audio to exactly when the music hits. Then I just play the movie until it goes out of sync and I know an edit must be made. Then I mute the audio and export it and everything is good.