Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

2 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

I’d say the same, but wow I never noticed how much of a treat “Time Past / Saving Buckbeak” is

I did, it was probably my number one holy grail from this movie, along with Trouble Takes on Many Forms.

Yeah, this track is awesome. Thrilling and hysterical, in a good way.

16 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I did, it was probably my number one holy grail from this movie, along with Trouble Takes on Many Forms.

Yeah, this track is awesome. Thrilling and hysterical, in a good way.

Was there anything you didn’t realize was awesome and sort of discovered it again on the set?

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

You know that all except the middle ~3 minutes was on the OST the whole time, right?

Yeah, but still. Well the bat ending is new too to be fair. :P That middle three minutes is awesome. It makes the whole track and connects the two disjointed cues on the OST. It all flows together and works insanely well as this massive track.

So I guess I never realized how awesome Viewing The Recent Past is. XD

Yeah, but still. Well the bat ending is new too to be fair. :P 

Yea, I remembered that right after I posted

That middle three minutes is awesome. It makes the whole track and connects the two disjointed cues on the OST. It all flows together and works insanely well as this massive track.

I agree 100%!

12 hours ago, Jay said:

You know that all except the middle ~3 minutes was on the OST the whole time, right?

Well, duh. Of course I knew. 

I probably told half a dozen times on this board (even before this set was announced) how much I wanted the whole thing. That passage in between where Hermione throws the stones through the window and where she goes, "Is that what my hair looks from behind"? 

Not sure whether this particular section became such a holy grail for me because it was missing from the OST album, but somehow it always struck me as the most exciting and well-written part... Also, I always liked how this section transitions into the beginning of the second part of the OST track "Saving Buckbeak," as Harry starts climbing up the hill and approaches Buckbeak. It's like JW is changing gear, like he's saying, "Now it gets serious. Concentration!" It's so good, it gives you goosebumps. JW in top form! 

The music is mixed so low in the movie, one can barely hear it. I really think it should have been a bit louder.... My favorite passage from this entire scene: appr. 1:00 - 2:30. 

12 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Was there anything you didn’t realize was awesome and sort of discovered it again on the set?

Well, obviously, a few things came as a surprise. Like "The Firebolt and End Credits Suite"... I had no idea what JW's original intention was. Now that I've listened to this, I feel like I can never go back to "Mischief Managed"! :D

Also, "Confrontation in the Shrieking Shack." I didn't realise before how much this piece was edited (or butchered). Nice to see JW's original intention here again. 

But nothing that was heard in the movie is a new discovery for me on this set. I always knew how good the music was. It's just great beyond words to have it on an official release, in perfect sound quality! 

In theory it wouldn't take too long to find in a library. There can only be so many ways of searching for a solo tambourine.

I'm assuming it's library because if JW didn't record it then it has to come from somewhere.

33 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

In theory it wouldn't take too long to find in a library. There can only be so many ways of searching for a solo tambourine.

I'm assuming it's library because if JW didn't record it then it has to come from somewhere.

Especially if you know that the other two stock tracks are straight from the APM website. So theoretically it's somewhere on there. I believe it's not just a tambourine though. Isn't there at least one other piece of percussion?

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Isn't that available clean in the Art of the Score podcast?

Nope. It's the Album Version.

Just now, TSMefford said:

Especially if you know that the other two stock tracks are straight from the APM website. So theoretically it's somewhere on there. I believe it's not just a tambourine though. Isn't there at least one other piece of percussion?

I know one of them is Lupin's departing music; what's the other one? (Boggart music?)

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

The boggart music is Hot Licorice by Dick Walters

The APM recording at least, yes.

The other record player music I’ve ID’d but I don’t recall off the top of my head away from my playlist

EDIT: The title is Jungle Jazz Room

54 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

The APM recording at least, yes.

The other record player music I’ve ID’d but I don’t recall off the top of my head away from my playlist

Well.....

On 12/8/2018 at 6:36 PM, TSMefford said:

By the way. I did recently rediscover the Source Cue from Lupin's Record Player at the end of the movie, when Lupin is packing.

Just go here, and check out Track 7: https://www.apmmusic.com/albums/BR-0191

16 minutes ago, Jedi767 said:

What are some of your guys favorite new tracks?

There's some discussion of that specifically here

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29122-which-are-your-top-10-previously-unreleased-tracks-on-the-new-harry-potter-collection-set/

Really I've listened to The Rescue of Sirius, Time Past/Saving Buckbeak, Teaser (HP1), Trailer (HP1), Teaser (HP3), Walk in the Woods, Reading The Map, the COS television commercials, and all the cues from COS with the Chamber theme more than anything else most likely

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll jump into that thread!

Regarding Sir Cadogan, keep in mind that Williams intended for the shawms and sackbut to be accompanied by the tambourine and drum. The percussion-only intro heard in the film wasn't part of how Williams wrote the cue; my assumption has been that it was either a decision made from the podium or an editorial creation that arose from recording the percussion separately. But the tambourine and drum were part of how Williams envisioned the cue.

5 hours ago, Datameister said:

Regarding Sir Cadogan, keep in mind that Williams intended for the shawms and sackbut to be accompanied by the tambourine and drum. The percussion-only intro heard in the film wasn't part of how Williams wrote the cue; my assumption has been that it was either a decision made from the podium or an editorial creation that arose from recording the percussion separately. But the tambourine and drum were part of how Williams envisioned the cue.

Oh really? I’ve suspected it could actually have been pulled from a music stem and that it still could be Williams. 

EDIT: Huh. Look at that. I checked the sheets and you are indeed correct. Weeeeird. So my assumption is that they did indeed record a version with Percussion and only the intro was pulled and constructed from the percussion elements. That does beg the question why the version with percussion was never put out?

Does anyone else have a weird audio glitch at 9:28 in Time Past / Saving Buckbeak? It sounds like a short fragment of music is actually looped right before the edit into the Bats revision.

Fortunately I was able to resolve it with a small microedit. Just wondering if it's a glitch on my copy.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Does anyone else have a weird audio glitch at 9:28 in Time Past / Saving Buckbeak? It sounds like a short fragment of music is actually looped right before the edit into the Bats revision.

Sounds like it's an editing mistake!

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

So how can you tell whether that's an editing mistake or how the orchestra played it, by mistake or not? 

I certainly don't notice any glitch here.

Because that loop doesn't appear in the alternate version of Saving Buckbeak, nor on the OST.

And the glitch is definitely here. 

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Fortunately I was able to resolve it with a small microedit. Just wondering if it's a glitch on my copy.

I already mentioned that. It's the one and only flaw of the set.

7 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Because that loop doesn't appear in the alternate version of Saving Buckbeak, nor on the OST.

Although, in the alternate, the part leading into the bat sequence is faded at the end, so there could be the same glitch inherent in the source.

I wonder, whether both bat parts where recorded seperately or whether the original version was recorded along with the previous music.

18 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I wonder, whether both bat parts where recorded seperately or whether the original version was recorded along with the previous music.

Good question!

I wonder why there are two bat versions to begin with.

Was Alfonso not satisfied with the first version and asked Williams to write a different version? Or were there always two versions and Williams asked the director which one he prefers?

30 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I wonder why there are two bat versions to begin with.

Was Alfonso not satisfied with the first version and asked Williams to write a different version? Or were there always two versions and Williams asked the director which one he prefers?

I think the sheet music lists it as a revision so I'd guess the former.

Comparitivitely Train to Hogwarts is listed as V1 and V2, so Williams seemingly always intended two versions for Cuaron to choose from. 

Not sure which version I prefer myself.

But the film version does sound a bit jarring, it somehow doesn't fit with the rest of the piece. It takes you out of the moment, almost. But maybe that was the intention....

2:13

That little segment before the bats in Saving Buckbeak beginning @9:05 draws another connection to Revenge of the Sith - the segment of music following the death of Dooku as Palpatine says 'Leave him or we'll never making it!'. Here @2:33 

I love it, it was on the PoA OST yes, but that style of writing is so delicious! 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

If you look at the sheet music, there are THREE versions of bat music! 

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's also 3 versions of the Firebolt (A New Broomstick)!  It's crazy how many rewrites this score got

I wish I could read sheet music, I never knew this!! There’s no certain way of knowing what was recorded and what wasn’t, though.

24 minutes ago, Once said:

There’s no certain way of knowing what was recorded and what wasn’t, though.

Isn't it that whatever is NOT on the CD release is also not recorded?

So that we don't need to feel bad about anything missing because there isn't anything missing?

Or am I being too simple with that...?

31 minutes ago, Once said:

I wish I could read sheet music, I never knew this!! There’s no certain way of knowing what was recorded and what wasn’t, though.

Well, Docteur Qui posted his mockup of the early Firebolt cue from the sheet music not too long ago.  Here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28981-harry-potter-1-3-complete-score-releases-confirmed/&do=findComment&comment=1552824

The Executioner from PoA is such a cool little cue. Love the low harp, drums and contrabassoon. John Williams puts such interesting and subtle detail into even the smallest cue. 

Just now, Faleel J.M. said:

Is it my imagination or does it kinda reference the funeral March?

yeah I think it totally does, in that low harp part

Was there already discussion what "Trouble takes many forms" contains? 

1 minute ago, Faleel J.M. said:

Is it my imagination or does it kinda reference the funeral March?

It does.

I don’t think the Time Past/Saving Buckbeak thing is a glitch. The tempo slows down right before the bat closing, and it would connect the two parts perfectly, if it wasn’t for the clock ticking that ends abruptly without slowing down. That’s why the edit before the bat cue seems sloppy, I think.

By the way, I finally went to see PoA live to projection today: it was a great experience! I even made a couple of videos of a certain shawm cue and tambourine thingy 😉 

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

Was there already discussion what "Trouble takes many forms" contains? 

I believe so, but no matter - it's Dumbledore's Warning and Double Trouble March (two different takes of it, I believe), bookended by the two versions of The Train to Hogwarts.