Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

I thought hornist was referring to the previous track initially, then I saw after posting that he was referring to the final track on the set.

Of course. That is why I responded initially, “John Williams.” I had to edit my response after I realized he was referring to the final track.

Regardless of that, all of the Maestro’s music is presented, and I really enjoy this phenomenal set.

On 12/28/2018 at 5:51 PM, hornist said:

CD 7, track 28. Trailer. Who's music is that? 

Most likely it’s Magic Box Music / Brand X Music. A trailer music company responsible for many custom trailer jobs across the HP series. Personally, if more expansions happen, I hope some of their work for Half Blood Prince gets released.

On 12/28/2018 at 6:56 PM, Jay said:

Brand X Music did some of the trailers but I don't know about this one specifically. 

https://www.soundtrack.net/trailers/?cid=H&mid=10736

I’m pretty sure it’s them. For the longest time the music from this trailer listed some really odd tracks, including David Newman’s Scooby Doo.

On 12/28/2018 at 3:03 AM, crumbs said:

Does anyone else have a weird audio glitch at 9:28 in Time Past / Saving Buckbeak? It sounds like a short fragment of music is actually looped right before the edit into the Bats revision.

Fortunately I was able to resolve it with a small microedit. Just wondering if it's a glitch on my copy.

Shit! Now I can't unhear it!

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

Shit! Now I can't unhear it!

Sorry... It's easily removed though. I used the fixed version of the track and it sounds fine after a small edit. 

On 12/28/2018 at 9:03 AM, crumbs said:

Does anyone else have a weird audio glitch at 9:28 in Time Past / Saving Buckbeak? It sounds like a short fragment of music is actually looped right before the edit into the Bats revision.

Fortunately I was able to resolve it with a small microedit. Just wondering if it's a glitch on my copy.

meanwhile I feel like has 3:38 some background rumble

But it could also be that my speakers are dying.

There's some slight electronic signal in the background of Leaving Hogwarts at 0:36 but I crosschecked it with the OST version and it has the same weird sound in the background. Also there's a very faint digital hiccup in Fawkes Heals Harry, checked the alternate cue too and it's in the same place! Seems these were problems with the initial source files from which the set was produced and out of anyone's control. Luckily these are small virtually unnoticeable things so they don't bother me too much, but I can hear them! 

Damn! 

Isn't this thread supposed to be about the music

Some of you guys are obsessed with the tiniest flaws and mistakes and imperfections. Really! I swear, some of you guys didn't even buy this set to enjoy the music buy to find mistakes and flaws.... 

On 12/29/2018 at 10:28 AM, Arpy said:

There's some slight electronic signal in the background of Leaving Hogwarts at 0:36 but I crosschecked it with the OST version and it has the same weird sound in the background. Also there's a very faint digital hiccup in Fawkes Heals Harry, checked the alternate cue too and it's in the same place! Seems these were problems with the initial source files from which the set was produced and out of anyone's control. Luckily these are small virtually unnoticeable things so they don't bother me too much, but I can hear them! 

It's probably due to Hanz jamming the recording session!

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's probably due to Hanz jamming the recording session!

He was summoning a storm of rock-infused glory from his studio, jamming with the Magnificent Six and Michael Cera!

ImperfectCoordinatedLaughingthrush-max-1mb.gif

30 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Damn! 

Isn't this thread supposed to be about the music

Some of you guys are obsessed with the tiniest flaws and mistakes and imperfections. Really! I swear, some of you guys didn't even buy this set to enjoy the music buy to find mistakes and flaws.... 

For real. I haven’t noticed.

Went to see PoA live yesterday: as I said in the LTP thread, apart from a few minor glitches it was an incredible experience.
Anyway, I probably was the only one feeling sad during the Discussing Black scene.
We miss you, 30" shawm cue ❤️ 

(sorry for the vertical video — ugh — and the Italian dubbing)

By the way, I also snatched a certain tambourine/Cadogan cue ;) 

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

I do think that including HWW on disc 2 was a bit superfluous/overkill: I know that's how it is in the credits, but now it's a little repetitive and we have HWW in Chamber of Secrets again too.

Are they all three different?

I know the HP1 OST version was truncated and the HP2 version was longer.

Are both versions on there somewhere now?

And was it recorded again during CoS or was it all the same recording?

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

teaser music is rather redundant

Really? Wasn't that the first ever recording of Hedwig's Theme?

And including some unique variations?

Hey, Jay. I had a question. Out of curiousity, why was “Trailer” included as the final track? I find it odd as the first part of it is not composed by the Maestro.

1 hour ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Really? Wasn't that the first ever recording of Hedwig's Theme?

And including some unique variations?

Yes, there are differences between the two versions on this HP1 set: number one is the uncut version that was truncated (only like two seconds missing for the OST, number two is the 'cut' version, but with the suite ending, e.g. the one supposedly recorded for COS.

Teaser might be the first ever recorded cue, but that doesn't make it less redundant for my listening experience. I'm not saying it's historically unnecessary, it just doesn't add anything to my enjoyment after the entire score.

1 hour ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

HWW was recorded for HP1 and JW put it on the OST, but with 2 bars snipped out around the 2 minute mark. 

For HP2, they recorded the new ending (which was written for the HP1 sheet music that went for sale and had been performed in concerts) and appeneded that to the HP1 recording of HWW. That then ended up on the HP2 OST. That same track then appears in both disc 3 and disc 5 of this set. 

22 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Hey, Jay. I had a question. Out of curiousity, why was “Trailer” included as the final track? I find it odd as the first part of it is not composed by the Maestro.

I already answered this question here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29096-harry-potter-7cd-collection-music-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=1566522

That’s interesting. Weird, though.

It just seems odd to include music by a trailer house group that had nothing to do with the Maestro, apart from segueing into the end of Reunion of Friends.

Anyway, I just ended up replacing it with the track “Finale” from the original soundtrack album. I just felt the track is not only a unique album track, but ending the entire set with that triumphant version of A Window to the Past is a perfect way to cap the entire set.

Aside from doing that, this entire set is phenomenal; just perfect. Thanks again to Mike Matessino and all involved with this set, especially Maestro John Williams.

Looking forward with much anticipation to what 2019 has to offer.

52 minutes ago, Jay said:

HWW was recorded for HP1 and JW put it on the OST, but with 2 bars snipped out around the 2 minute mark. 

For HP2, they recorded the new ending (which was written for the HP1 sheet music that went for sale and had been performed in concerts) and appeneded that to the HP1 recording of HWW. That then ended up on the HP2 OST. That same track then appears in both disc 3 and disc 5 of this set. 

Ah, thanks!

So the actual HP1 OST version isn't on there, because a bit in the middle was restored.

And the Children's Suite and CoS versions are the same ones then.

That makes sense. (Y)

2 hours ago, Jay said:

So if I understood, the new ending recorded during the COS sessions appears on the Sorcerer's Stone CD?

2 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

That’s interesting. Weird, though.

It just seems odd to include music by a trailer house group that had nothing to do with the Maestro, apart from segueing into the end of Reunion of Friends.

Anyway, I just ended up replacing it with the track “Finale” from the original soundtrack album. I just felt the track is not only a unique album track, but ending the entire set with that triumphant version of A Window to the Past is a perfect way to cap the entire set.

Aside from doing that, this entire set is phenomenal; just perfect. Thanks again to Mike Matessino and all involved with this set, especially Maestro John Williams.

Looking forward with much anticipation to what 2019 has to offer.

I’d rather have it than not, but yes, as an ending it’s odd. In my playlists I typically place the trailer music before the score. Almost works as a warm-up to the main event.

19 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

I’d rather have it than not, but yes, as an ending it’s odd. In my playlists I typically place the trailer music before the score. Almost works as a warm-up to the main event.

That's what I usually like to do with trailer music, too. (In cases where the film's composer got to write trailer music too, I mean.) I'll definitely be doing it with the teasers for SS and POA...not sure yet how I'm going to handle the trailers.

11 hours ago, Arpy said:

Sorry @Josh500 I guess it's because these scores were my holy grails, I love the music, but I thought I would share the only few flaws I've found with it. 99.99% of the set is amazing!!

I think this set is the holy grail for most of us JW fans! :)

The problem is, if all of us start pointing out the tiniest flaws, the rest of us cannot unhear them (or start noticing them as well), and before we know it, we might get the feeling that this set is deeply flawed and riddled with glitches. There really should be a separate thread just to discuss the flaws and glitches and whatnot!

7 minutes ago, Datameister said:

Anyone who develops the impression that this set is "deeply flawed" needs to have both their hearing and their reading comprehension checked, haha. I'm not aware of any members that are disappointed with this set in the slightest; it's obviously been crafted with great care, and the results are incredible. Also, some people have noticed some small hiccups in the source recordings. It's possible to love something while also noting its minor shortcomings.

If you prefer an "ignorance is bliss" mindset - not entirely unreasonable! - I'd recommend you don't participate in discussions about the release. Or perhaps create your own "positive comments only" thread. But this is a discussion board. Generally speaking, people are gonna...you know...discuss. :)

Are you this obnoxious in real life too? 

I made a suggestion, that's all, and told how I personally felt. You can disagree with me, but don't tell me right away what basically amounts to "Get the hell outta here!" 

This thread is titled MUSIC discussion. If you don't want people here who prefer to discuss just the MUSIC (instead of focusing on glitches and flaws and shortcomings, like you), then you should create your own thread. :)

On 12/29/2018 at 12:47 AM, Jay said:

1. Train to Hogwarts V1 
  2. Dumbledore's Warning
  3. Double Trouble March
  4. Train to Hogwarts V2 

Doesn't it contain two different takes of "Double Trouble March"?

Disc 4: my thoughts.

The difference in sound quality between the OST, sessions and this one is striking. What a detailed and crystal-clear mix. Having said that, there were a few minor issues.

The Escape From The Dursleys was a little too quiet. The beginning was certainly okay, but the action material could have been a tad louder.

I'm beginning to understand most of the track combinations now and it's clear to me that Williams or Matessino don't like to end tracks with 'cliffhanger' endings. While I totally support that decision, Flourish and Blotts - Harry Meets Lucius Malfoy doesn't make much sense to me.

The transition between The Train Station and The Flying Car isn't done very well, which surprised me a little because I managed to make a better edit (in my opinion, of course) two years ago by just crossfading the two sessions cues and my editing skills aren’t the best. The biggest problem here is that I can hear the end of Train Station suddenly fading out, The Flying Cr starts a little too early and is too soft as well. This change in volume doesn't really make much sense to me and Whomping Willow is way too quiet too.

Harry Is A Parselmouth is a really interesting little cue, but if they don't like 'cliffhanger endings', wouldn't it have been great to combine that cue with Petrified Justin?

Hey, Jay. I saw on the back of the booklet that you were a project consultant on this set. Congratulations.

Again, a big thanks to you, Mike Matessino, Maestro John Williams and everyone else involved with making this set a reality. This whole release is just phenomenal; everything from the packaging to the liner notes, from the program presentation to the sound quality is pitch perfect. As a fan and admirer of the Maestro, who he is and his work, this set is not only a wonderful preservation of three of his scores, but it is a great tribute to the man himself, as has been the case with past releases. This is really special. Looking forward to what 2019 has in store.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

No

So it was recorded that way, repeating the cue in a single take? Interesting. I assumed it was two different takes - the one heard in the film, and then one that matches the sheet music (with the extra ornaments on the harpsichord part).

10 hours ago, fommes said:

Doesn't it contain two different takes of "Double Trouble March"?

Pretty sure you’re just hearing a written break in the music. It does that in the film too (except the part before the break was replaced with an edit of the second part)

3 hours ago, Datameister said:

So it was recorded that way, repeating the cue in a single take? Interesting. I assumed it was two different takes - the one heard in the film, and then one that matches the sheet music (with the extra ornaments on the harpsichord part).

Nah. I need to listen to this again to explain what’s going on better. I’m Jay can though.

15 hours ago, Datameister said:

If you prefer an "ignorance is bliss" mindset - not entirely unreasonable! - I'd recommend you don't participate in discussions about the release. Or perhaps create your own "positive comments only" thread.

"The Josh500 Appreciation Thread"

1 hour ago, TSMefford said:

Pretty sure you’re just hearing a written break in the music. It does that in the film too (except the part before the break was replaced with an edit of the second part)

I thought Double Trouble March is 1:04-1:31, with the podcast/film version replacing 0:54-1:04 of Dumbledore's Warning with either 1:14 or 1:27 of DTM

I'm curious what that repeated March was supposed to underscore, if it really is only one take. If it was written for the cut of the movie we all know, it can either have been meant for the fat lady singing or the boys eating sweets...

17 hours ago, crumbs said:

@Jay you might know from the sheet music, but what did the unused last 38 seconds of the Marauder's Map underscore?

I did a 'score restore' and my best guess is it belongs to this scene here, as Harry reads out the map's message to Snape (and ending as Lupin appears).

I had asked about this previously. That's  5M2A Reveal Your Secret. It's in the sheets, but was not used in the film. Very cool to see it against the scene!

20 hours ago, Faleel J.M. said:

I thought Double Trouble March is 1:04-1:31, with the podcast/film version replacing 0:54-1:04 of Dumbledore's Warning with either 1:14 or 1:27 of DTM

Hmmmm. Yeah actually I think you're right.