Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

18 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

Seems wrong to demand Williams be continually tied to an endless stream of boring teen melodrama for five more movies. There's only so much of that crap a viewer can take, let alone one film composer who has to cook up new and original music for it every time. You people view Williams like he's your little plaything!

He will have scored 9 Star Wars movies this winter. And 7 of those don't even touch the quality of the Potter movies. So, your point is ...?

5 hours ago, gkgyver said:

He will have scored 9 Star Wars movies this winter. And 7 of those don't even touch the quality of the Potter movies. So, your point is ...?

All Star Wars movies are better than some silly teen flicks whose gimmick is a magic school.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea that proper concert version of Irina's theme is really great, the OST cue edit is just kinda blah

16 hours ago, Smeltington said:

Def would like to have better recordings of the actual concert versions though, of course.

A YouTube search only revealed some pretty shoddy recordings (and as expected, playing) from youth orchestras. Would love to hear a better recording too!

I've decided that the best way for me to get completely accustomed to the new transition is to just listen to "The Firebolt and End Credits Suite" on repeat for 8 hours straight.

I'm a big, big fan of the chair squeak at 0:47

I do love just looking at the thing. Inside, outside, flipping through the booklet. I mostly play my "enhanced" playlists (to different degrees - Stone pretty much only has the transitional Halloween tracking recreated and Neville Stiffens blown apart and placed in the intended places, Chamber has all tracking recreated, some alternates swapped with main program versions and Flying Car edit somewhat corrected, my Azkaban is a mess but works for me - plus a separate album for all the concert pieces and remaining extras).

If I could change one thing about this release it would be to get rid of the annoying clock ticking that runs through so much of Azkaban's third act.  Why was that kept in there?!

It's a little strange there weren't tick-free alternates on disc 2, ala the synth-free alternates on the Titanic set, but it's also no huge surprise. We got no isolated percussion tracks on the TLW set either, and that would have been a fantastic inclusion (considering we already heard fragments of the isolated percussion from the theme park speakers).

16 minutes ago, Demodex said:

If I could change one thing about this release it would be to get rid of the annoying clock ticking that runs through so much of Azkaban's third act.  Why was that kept in there?!

Because that was what music that Williams wrote for the film...?

EDIT: @crumbs, are you talking about the Universal Studios Florida background music? Is there isolated percussion in there? I remember that it included some (formerly) unreleased music, but I thought all the instruments were still present in the mix...

Trouble is fine, separable enough. I just go along with the latter, Map to Snow Scene is a fine transition and Up the Stairs is indistinguishable where it is, like an extended opening that was later cut off.

1 hour ago, Datameister said:

, are you talking about the Universal Studios Florida background music? Is there isolated percussion in there? I remember that it included some (formerly) unreleased music, but I thought all the instruments were still present in the mix...

Yeah I'm certain there's a recording of that background music featuring some of the heavier percussion sections in isolation (I think it was the percussion from The Hunt minus the rest of the orchestra).

Was years ago though, I could be mistaken.

The only really bad crossfade is the Three Broomsticks one because it's not even chronological and makes it really hard to create a custom edit with cues in the correct order. 

The clunky Flying Car edit is probably worse though, just because it sounds so weird. 

1 minute ago, Smaug the iron said:

Where is it not chronological order? 

Three Broomsticks opens with Up the Stairs, the revised film version of Map to Snow Scene, which should technically be before Snowball Fight.

That confuses me a bit, too, since HP1 has the Christmas song and music box in the main program... then again, it puts Caldron and Flute on the extras disc.

Have LLL commented on the other 5 scores yet? It would seem strange for WB to license just three of them and not all of them. I wonder is there any chance of another Black Friday release?

I know the subsequent 5 aren’t as popular on here but I’d like to have the full set. 

13 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

It would seem strange for WB to license just three of them and not all of them.

I don't think it's that straightforward. There's so many factors in releasing 3 scores done by the same composer, let alone 8 scores by multiple composers with hundreds of different musicians.

The music ownership changed between films 5 and 6 just to complicate things further. Mike talked about that last year, when pressed on expanding the remaining scores. He said the logical option is to release each film based on the composer who scored them (so a box set each for Doyle, Hooper and Desplat) but the Hooper one is problematic due to the music ownership changing after film 5.

The Warner/Sunset label had the mechanical rights for the first 5 scores (so theoretically Doyle's score is relatively straightforward to release) but it switched to New Line for 6 then WaterTower for 7/8. Worst case scenario is just to split the Hooper box in half.

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Worst case scenario is just to split the Hooper box in half.

Now the hull's not designed to deal with that pressure, so what happens? She splits, right down to the keel.

Desplat's Potters leaked a few years ago, if you're intesrested in listening to his unreleased music that's not on the OSTs. But still an expanded set would be nice, because the leak of DH1 is an epic mess - A LOT of alternates, lots and lots of small cues... 

I don't care about Hooper. Does his scores have that much (important) unreleased music? I remember his HFB OST being quite comprehensive.

But I would like an expansion of Doyle's GOF and, of course, James Newton Howard's Fantastic Beasts 1 and 2 - but those two, unfortunately for me, won't happen for a while.

11 hours ago, crumbs said:

I don't think it's that straightforward. There's so many factors in releasing 3 scores done by the same composer, let alone 8 scores by multiple composers with hundreds of different musicians.

The music ownership changed between films 5 and 6 just to complicate things further. Mike talked about that last year, when pressed on expanding the remaining scores. He said the logical option is to release each film based on the composer who scored them (so a box set each for Doyle, Hooper and Desplat) but the Hooper one is problematic due to the music ownership changing after film 5.

The Warner/Sunset label had the mechanical rights for the first 5 scores (so theoretically Doyle's score is relatively straightforward to release) but it switched to New Line for 6 then WaterTower for 7/8. Worst case scenario is just to split the Hooper box in half.

I guess that's why there was a years 1-5 vinyl box set release so!

So unnecessarily messy. Urgh. 

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Desplat's Potters leaked a few years ago, if you're intesrested in listening to his unreleased music that's not on the OSTs. But still an expanded set would be nice, because the leak of DH1 is an epic mess - A LOT of alternates, lots and lots of small cues... 

I don't care about Hooper. Does his scores have that much (important) unreleased music? I remember his HFB OST being quite comprehensive.

But I would like an expansion of Doyle's GOF and, of course, James Newton Howard's Fantastic Beasts 1 and 2 - but those two, unfortunately for me, won't happen for a while.

Oh I have the leaks but its not the same. I want the full schebang. 

The only expansion I'd even consider would be Doyle's. It feels the least 'Potter' of all the scores to me, but it has a personality which I rather like.

And it's got nothing to do with JW's scores being better, but simply due to Hooper's and Desplat's being better represented on album. I can't think of a single unreleased cue I want from any of those.

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

Okay, here's an idea, then: we just skip Hooper altogether!

Also, the DH2 leak is a mess, sound quality-wise. 1 is, I think, very comprehensive.

44 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Goblet of Fire is the only score following Williams' three which I felt had a nice, cohesive narrative structure. It tells a story and does it well.

I think DH1 is a great score. I put it on a par with GoF. 

The others aren’t as good but shur they’re not Child’s Play 2 levels of crap or whatever.