Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

I read somewhere that JW doesn't watch movies aside from the ones he scores? So, he probably haven't watched neither Potters 4 to 8 or the Fantastic Beasts franchise, as well as Rogue One, the Jurassic movies post-TLW, and so it goes.

However, on Potter's case, JW's was at least familiar with the first book, since he told he read it before he knew they were going to make a movie, so... maybe he read the other books too and knows how the story ends?

But I don't count on that - from what he implied on his interviews, he spends most of his days involved with music.

On 9/29/2019 at 7:53 PM, Thekthithm said:

The HBP score is so boring they needed to lift the Fireworks track from OOTP to make it more exciting.

Oh please. Do you say that about every film that tracks music from it's predecessors? You must hate Chamber of Secrets

If it's so damn dull then how come I manage to consistently revisit HBP and haven't listened to OOTP in years?

Honestly, I'd say the inverse of what you said. HBP grabbed the only interesting pieces from OOTP and marries them with a more interesting score ;) I won't say it's a masterpiece by any means, but I wouldn't call it dull. Call me crazy if you will, but I will gladly buy a Hooper expansion.

As far as where they rank with the other scores?

• POA
  • SS
  • COS

• GOF
  • DH1
  • HBP

• DH2

• OOTP

For me, OOTP is the one of the two Hooper scores that is dull and unmemorable. I can name and discuss most of the motifs and thematic material from HBP, even the less significant ones, but besides Umbridge, Fireworks, and Dumbledore's Army...nothing else stands out in my memory. Did Luna have some material? Can't remember. Is there Sirius material? Can't recall. You know what I do remember though? I remember having to rip the end credits for OOTP because the final track in film order is just so...anti-climactic. Fawke's theme may not make an appearance in Half-Blood Prince when it ends, but it least it feels resolved. 

1 hour ago, Thekthithm said:

Because you have no taste?

Lol okay. Despite the insult to myself, I'll bite. What about OOTP to you personally find that's better?

26 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Why can't people just accept there's personal tastes and nothing more. There are Williams scores and themes that do nothing for me, but that's no indictment against the film or the music, I just don't like it. 

Sure. You're right. I'll just leave it with this: IF there ever is a Hooper set, a Doyle release, a Desplat release. I'd buy all of them. :)

7 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Lol okay. Despite the insult to myself, I'll bite. What about OOTP to you personally find that's better?

Shorter album, better highlights, bolder thematic variation. HBP has maybe one okay motif I thought was alright, the rest was forgettable.

This doesn't have much to do with anything but we're all vaguely aware Gilderoy Lockhart's theme is a variation on Hedwig's Theme? I just realized it raises that one note of HT up a half step, which is the same thing Patrick Doyle does on the Goblet of Fire title.

Just saying, John did that first. Nyah nyah.

26 minutes ago, Holko said:

Ah, back in the day even an American writing for American kids could call it what it fucking is!

Mommy, what's a philosopher?

That was a point I brought up when the set was first released. I was surprised it wasn't part of the teaser cue. No idea what the situation is there. Some people thought it was from the film recording of Journey to Hogwarts, but it clearly is not.

It's possible it could have been done by Magic Box Music way back in the day. They were collaborators on the Potter trailers for a LONG time. Let me check the archive of their site. I recall there being a post about it or something.

EDIT: Magic Box Music (John Sponsler and Tom Gire) have Sorcerer's Stone listed on their site in their credits. Listed as composers. It's possible maybe they had some Stingers or something used. Or perhaps they did some arrangements. I have mentioned this previously, but they are the ones who wrote the intro before Double Trouble kicks in in the Teaser track from PoA

3 minutes ago, Datameister said:

I highly doubt it - I feel quite certain it was another trailer cue Williams did (and which was also rerecorded as the end of the film's prologue and the first view of Hogwarts).

Edited my above post.

Their archival site has both Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets trailers listed on their resume and credits them as Composers. So they certain had some hand in something. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080608082734/http://www.magicboxmusic.com/virtualresume/

He means they got a recording of JW's theme and then they adapted it into their trailer music after ruining the master tape, because why wouldn't you give the master tape to some trailer music guys rather than a copy.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about the first score.

In the Invisibility Cloak/Library scene is significantly longer than the whole cue: the music matches the scene perfectly until the moment when Harry sees Snape and Quirrell. In the movie, the music is looped and tracked for this moment, then continues with the original cue. But it doesn't seem that the edit is replacing any section of the cue. In other words, it seems that Williams scored a version of the scene without the Quirrell/Snape conversation. Am I correct?

56 minutes ago, oierem said:

I have a question about the first score.

In the Invisibility Cloak/Library scene is significantly longer than the whole cue: the music matches the scene perfectly until the moment when Harry sees Snape and Quirrell. In the movie, the music is looped and tracked for this moment, then continues with the original cue. But it doesn't seem that the edit is replacing any section of the cue. In other words, it seems that Williams scored a version of the scene without the Quirrell/Snape conversation. Am I correct?

That, or he left the Quirrell/Snape dialogue unscored, which is a bit weird.

1 hour ago, redishere said:

That, or he left the Quirrell/Snape dialogue unscored, which is a bit weird.

Why is that weird? It makes perfect sense. Music - mysterious dialogue in total silence - music again.