Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

I've gotten used to not falling in love with a particular mix or what an individual instrument is doing - it makes sets like this easier to enjoy. It's not always easy if it's a favourite moment, but you can't please everyone.

In this case my guess is that it's an alternate take which JW preferred. Honestly, a lot of problems in this field would be largely solved by putting isolated scores on BDs so that those like me who love film mixes can get them, and those who don't can ignore them.

On 2/4/2020 at 4:45 AM, crumbs said:

Yeah... and it's pretty obvious the take used in the film is not the take on the LLL. If they did splice in just the harpischord section from an alternate take, it should have been represented on the LLL, just like all the various inserts which Mike used in the film score presentation over Williams' original intentions.

Here's the thing. Inserts that ARE included were intended or recorded to be inserted by Williams. The harpsichord was (as far as I remember) inserting by the SFX guys, probably pulled from the stems of another cue or take. This makes it a sound editorial change and not an official Williams insert. The goal was to represent Williams' original intentions that were recorded. Hence the missing percussion alternate of Sir Cadogan. 

It's a slippery slope when you ask for the film versions. The pure film versions that include everything from editorial would also include tons of edits. Some fine, some nasty. For example, with "Snowball Fight", the sound guys dropped several stems very roughly and left only the strings to close the track:

https://clyp.it/mhxx0wwf?token=bef38a8ec179434279d7e12a793ad993

I'd much prefer having the full original recording. That being said, I prefer ALSO having the chopped up and remixed film versions to compare and learn what was done to them and why to have them fit the final film. In the case of a label score release...an Album is not the proper place to put these things. If only all the Potter films came with official Isolated Scores. That would be a perfectly acceptable place for that.

Could we call the Cadogan cue an editorial change, though? Because while the tambourines might have been added by the effects guys, the cue itself is slowed down and is most definitely a different take. I'd love MM to comment on these things.

@TSMefford Why would the sound guys edit in a slightly different harpsichord take - that would be purely a musical decision. It doesn't make sense when it's replacing something that was already there. It just seems to me that the most reasonable explanation is that it was a different take that isn't represented on the LLL set and probably because it's barely noticeable to humans. 

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

@TSMefford Why would the sound guys edit in a slightly different harpsichord take - that would be purely a musical decision. It doesn't make sense when it's replacing something that was already there. It just seems to me that the most reasonable explanation is that it was a different take that isn't represented on the LLL set and probably because it's barely noticeable to humans. 

This.

8 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

But the chembalo's resonance differs noticably in the two versions.

It's a synthesizer - Williams easily could have asked Kerber for a different sound for different takes.

10 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Is it normal that I only just noticed that the first theme statement in Leaving Hogwarts contains a note I thought wasn't there at all?

I think it's happened to me before, yeah! Which note?

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

The harpsichord take that was used in the film was not found on any of the elements Mike had, so he used a different take rather than having no harpsichord at all.

Interesting! Do you know if there are other little things that could not be found in the elements Mike had when making the assembly?

So the studio gave the film stems for ltp preparations, possibly allowed for them to be used for the AotS podcast, but not for the actual soundtrack release when things were missing from the used sources?

Dicks

17 hours ago, Arpy said:

Despite the fact that I ended up being incorrect in this instance. This does happen all the time. Jay has specifically stated multiple times that (for example) the percussion for Sir Cadogan was a sound fx decision. I can't explain the title on the sheet music thoguh, I myself was puzzled by that.

I will say though that if the sound guys can tinker with music then they will. There's all sorts of bizzare editing choices made throughout the Potter films including many times where the final music edits involve pulling from stems from other tracks, dropping out instruments, etc. PoA is no exception, which is why I assumed this could be another instance of that. I highly doubt some of this horrid editing would be made by a competent music editor.

In this case, as to why they would edit it in and replace something? A hypothetical situation could be that the director zeros in on something and wants to change it late in the game, and the sound guys do what they can to blend takes. I assume that explains many of the weird editing choices across the Potter films and honestly on MANY films.

I've had my own music tinkered with in editing. I wasn't part of that process at all. I watched the final product and an entirely different cue was playing in place of something that I had written, then revised, and then was apparently tracked over after being approved. Things happen.

The taiko drums overlay in Revenge of the Sith is another instance - I'm not doubting the fact that there is tinkering by people other than Williams, just the decision for that one cue which had several visions with and without the harpischord and the version used in the film wasn't an extreme case. 

12 hours ago, Jay said:

What?

I meant, would the take have been on the analog tapes? And why didn't they use those in the first place? It seems… strange that someone so thorough like Mike can't get his hands on everything. Did he just assume/hope that the files he got were everything, or was this WB being difficult or LLL unable to afford transfers for everything? (Aka, please do a 10-page Q&A with Mike about this set.)

29 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I meant, would the take have been on the analog tapes? And why didn't they use those in the first place? It seems… strange that someone so thorough like Mike can't get his hands on everything. Did he just assume/hope that the files he got were everything, or was this WB being difficult or LLL unable to afford transfers for everything? (Aka, please do a 10-page Q&A with Mike about this set.)

It's still unclear but it seems that WB didn't provide POA's analog masters to Mike/LLL for modern scans of the scoring sessions.

Instead, they were provided incomplete 5.1 digital masters and had to use a dodgy OST master to fill in the blanks for cues missing from those digital masters. Worse, it means we have no idea if Williams actually recorded the alternates that leaked in the sheet music (another alternate Firebolt, alternate Remembering Mother, alternate Dementors Converge).

Sadly I don't think Mike has really elaborated on why the 5.1 masters were incomplete or what happened to the analog masters. I always found it curious that only PS got fresh scans of the analog tapes while COS and POA did not.

5 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

True, although Jay did say Mike got access to every COS take. I interpreted that as 'everything that was ever recorded,' analog tapes or not.

That seems to be at odds with this comment:

14 hours ago, Jay said:

Each score had something we wanted that didn't turn up, but each score also had something turn up didn't even know existed beforehand so that was cool.

Clearly all the missing Azkaban music is well documented (nearly half a dozen alternates we know JW wrote, plus his Double Trouble demo used during filming) but judging by Jay's comment there was material missing for the first two scores as well.

Surprising, because the first two scores seem significantly more comprehensive than the third.

14 hours ago, Jay said:

Each score had something we wanted that didn't turn up, but each score also had something turn up didn't even know existed beforehand so that was cool.

Any specific examples we don't know about yet?

I was under the impression Jay and Mike didn't definitively know whether many of those infamous POA alternates were even recorded -- and with the 5.1 digital masters incomplete, there's no way to know unless the analog masters can be studied (as those would contain every raw take, not just the finalised 5.1 masters).

And on PS, perhaps they were hoping the speech JW gave on the morning of September 12 (following the 9/11 attacks) would turn up? From memory Mike said they couldn't find it in the sessions, so it must not have been recorded (but several musicians told him about it).

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Holy Christ, I just saw that Filmtracks gave PoA a *** rating. 3 stars. THREE. That's the same rating he gave the last bunch of Transformers scores. 

What a complete and utter tool! 

He had given the OST 4 stars. He heard the LLL and thought, this extra music added to the original music I liked means I will take away 1 star.

11 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Having said that, just finished HP2 again. Love the flow of the presentation.

Geez, you're up too early!

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

He had given the OST 4 stars. He heard the LLL and thought, this extra music added to the original music I liked means I will take away 1 star.

Probably because Ross composed all of the music.