Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HMM - I think this video more articulately expresses the problem some people have with HP3 score than CC managed.

When you see it framed this way, you do wonder that how come Williams literally chucked 20+ themes and motifs for the 3rd film in the series. Out of the blue.

Surely he's talented enough to adapt his earlier themes to darker textures. Why just suddenly wholesale discard your material?

Agree with you that it would have been nice to have at least some small representation of the existing themes, and that he could have easily pulled off a tone shift while still using them. My theory has always been that he wanted a fresh start because he probably felt the earlier material was getting stale after all the rehashing in Chamber of Secrets. Looking at some of his other sequel scores, he takes pride in coming up with new ideas and often shies away from leaning too heavily on old material. He was proud to say in an interview for one of the Star Wars sequels (I think it was TFA) what a small fraction of the score was made up of old themes. Plus he's chucked out lots of other themes in other sequel scores. Like writing a new Indy nazi theme, losing the ANH Imperial theme, "Finn's" theme, Anakin's theme, Rose's theme, the list goes on. So it's not out of character for him... although it's still puzzling.

6 hours ago, Smeltington said:

Agree with you that it would have been nice to have at least some small representation of the existing themes, and that he could have easily pulled off a tone shift while still using them. My theory has always been that he wanted a fresh start because he probably felt the earlier material was getting stale after all the rehashing in Chamber of Secrets. Looking at some of his other sequel scores, he takes pride in coming up with new ideas and often shies away from leaning too heavily on old material. He was proud to say in an interview for one of the Star Wars sequels (I think it was TFA) what a small fraction of the score was made up of old themes. Plus he's chucked out lots of other themes in other sequel scores. Like writing a new Indy nazi theme, losing the ANH Imperial theme, "Finn's" theme, Anakin's theme, Rose's theme, the list goes on. So it's not out of character for him... although it's still puzzling.

I think overall Williams is not as concerned as we, as fans, are about the keeping a thematic and motivic coherence in his sequels. As you say, he takes pride on not relying too much on old material.

The OT of SW is the best and most perfect example of Williams contructing a coherent thematic narrative throughout the three films (and even still, many of the minor motifs disappear from film to film, and he only keeps the major themes). The PT and the ST also keep a sense of thematic continuity, but again, it's far from "perfect". He seems perfectly fine letting Anakin's theme disappear, as you said (or Finn's, or Rose's....). And I admit that I don't really like his recent tendency of copying entire passages of previous scores (as he has done in the last two sequels), which is not the best example of thematic development. 

But we have many other examples of Williams not crafting a coherent sequel score. Home Alone 2 is a perfect example of reusing material, often copying without any new development. The Lost World is an example of the contrary: barely and thematic conections, except for a few brief quotes (and a copy&pasted concert suite at the end).

I've often said that I see Williams closer to Mozart (who had the gift of creating unlimited sweeping new melodies, but he didn't really care about developing them), than to Beethoven (who used short thematic elements and developed them ---- something closer to Howard Shore for example). Which isn't a bad thing, at all!

It's true that Williams often talks about the use of themes in his SW movies (and others), and even though there are some great examples, I think he doesn't really care that much about developing themes, and he more often tends to just quote them, with not too many substantital variations. 

In HP3, I think he just watched a very different film and was clearly inspired (and possibly pushed) to write very different music. 

A lot of stock is being put into musing why JW would decide to put all his themes in the bin.

It could be easily explained by Cuaron deciding he wanted a musical change to go along with his darker tone, and asking JW to not reuse his themes.

Actually Azkaban has a dark lower range unfinished Family statement in Rescue of Sirius and a (very likely only imagined by me) faint, unsure Hogwarts Forever opening starting Snape Dresses Up V2! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I may not be the first to ask, but what do you guys think of the transition at 9:28 in Time Past / Saving Buckbeak (POA 2-02)? Is it a bad edit or what?

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

I may not be the first to ask, but what do you guys think of the transition at 9:28 in Time Past / Saving Buckbeak (POA 2-02)? Is it a bad edit or what?

Yes it is a bad edit, but I've personally come to get used to it and it doesn't bother me so much anymore.

I don't notice it because I fixed it in my edit. ;)

About 3/24 of a second is looped before the insert, for whatever reason. Maybe just a relic from whatever element had the Bats insert. For all we know that insert was already appended to Saving Buckbeak in the elements. Does it sound wrong in the film? 

For all we know it may be that the new ending just doesn't fit too well onto the already complete take with the old ending but the film gets away with it because mixing and sound effects, so Mike compromised?

1 hour ago, Holko said:

For all we know it may be that the new ending just doesn't fit too well onto the already complete take with the old ending but the film gets away with it because mixing and sound effects, so Mike compromised?

Checked the film and it sounds fine. The edit isn't really disguised or hidden under SFX, it's seamless.

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Checked the film and it sounds fine. The edit isn't really disguised or hidden under SFX, it's seamless.

hm

17 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I still have that reaction when the Diagon Alley insert in HP1 is over. I still think the recorder starts a fraction of a second too late. (Re-issue!!!)

I think that insert took everyone a while to get used to, it was totally out of the blue.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

I had a similar experience with the unreleased section of Rescuing Sarah. Something sounded off for the first few listens.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I still have that reaction when the Diagon Alley insert in HP1 is over.

But those are musically and editorially flawless pieces. The Saving Buckbeak issue is not.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Disagree.

Don't understand how you can argue it's flawless when there's a clear editing mistake there?

I can understand people disagreeing over early or late crossfades throughout the set (The Flying Car springs to mind) but the Bats extension is clearly an editing flub.

Aside from the two small glitches in Rescuing Sirius, there's another slight one near the beginning of the track that always puts me off - it's miniscule but I can hear it every time! Both seem to be present in the film when I checked so they're artifacts of the recording and not the mastering. 

25 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Aside from the two small glitches in Rescuing Sirius, there's another slight one near the beginning of the track that always puts me off - it's miniscule but I can hear it every time! Both seem to be present in the film when I checked so they're artifacts of the recording and not the mastering. 

Oh geez, please don't tell me unless they can be fixed. Happy to blissfully ignorant on these things occasionally.

On 4/8/2020 at 4:31 AM, Smeltington said:

He was proud to say in an interview for one of the Star Wars sequels (I think it was TFA) what a small fraction of the score was made up of old themes. Plus he's chucked out lots of other themes in other sequel scores. Like writing a new Indy nazi theme, losing the ANH Imperial theme, "Finn's" theme, Anakin's theme, Rose's theme, the list goes on. So it's not out of character for him... although it's still puzzling.

Nah, he just forgets about the old themes.

For anyone totally perplexed about the whole Saving Buckbeak thing, this might help. Listen carefully to the LLL transition first at exactly 0:02, then my edited version second. Notice that a fragment of music skips/repeats, like a scratched CD:

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

But those are musically and editorially flawless pieces. The Saving Buckbeak issue is not.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Disagree.

This edit may not bother you and that's fine, but you don't get to "disagree" that there is a flaw. There objectively is.

33 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Just don't listen to the score at all.

I don't understand the basis of this comment. By this rationale, anyone who mentioned the teeth misprint shouldn't listen to Jurassic Park either?

I think you'll find the appreciation and praise towards Mike, all the labels and all the hard working folk getting these releases out the door would far outweigh any discussion about flaws in the sets. And I certainly intend to continue supporting them in the hope these releases continue for years to come.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

For anyone totally perplexed about the whole Saving Buckbeak thing, this might help. Listen carefully to the LLL transition first at exactly 0:02, then my edited version second. Notice that a fragment of music skips/repeats, like a scratched CD:

There's no skip/repeat any more, however, it is rhythmically even worse than the original. It just cuts to the alternate ending at a random spot. In my opinion, it was a wrong decision to put that musically very questionable alternate in the main program to begin with.

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

There's no skip/repeat any more, however, it is rhythmically even worse than the original. It just cuts to the alternate ending at a random spot.

I don't think there's a better way to fix it, to be honest (short of asking Mike if he can check his elements and see if there's something amiss on his editing timeline).

41 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I don't understand the basis of this comment. By this rationale, anyone who mentioned the teeth misprint shouldn't listen to Jurassic Park either?

I think you'll find the appreciation and praise towards Mike, all the labels and all the hard working folk getting these releases out the door would far outweigh any discussion about flaws in the sets. And I certainly intend to continue supporting them in the hope these releases continue for years to come.

I was joking.

I have never heard that edit before but now that I have I think it is not as bad as many are saying. You can hardly hear it really unless you are listening really close and even then it is not to bad. Yeah it is a mistake but I can hardly hear it so its no problem for me. 

Question for the Azkaban experts: on Time Past/Saving Buckbeak, is the sound of the clock ticking a sound effect that Williams incorporated into his score? Also, from 0:13 to 0:28, the orchestra sounds like it was artifially playing backwards, as if they took the recording and reversed it to give an impression of the time returning.

In any case, a pretty amazing example of Williams making his music sound, say, "clock-y". lol

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

In any case, a pretty amazing example of Williams making his music sound, say, "clock-y". lol

We need a poll putting it against Prokofiev's "Midnight" from Cinderella and Leroy Anderson's "The Syncopated Clock"

37 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Question for the Azkaban experts: on Time Past/Saving Buckbeak, is the sound of the clock ticking a sound effect that Williams incorporated into his score? Also, from 0:13 to 0:28, the orchestra sounds like it was artifially playing backwards, as if they took the recording and reversed it to give an impression of the time returning.

Various parts of that sequence call for clock ticking sounds in the score, though they sometimes don't quite match what we hear. And you're not imagining things - there are reversed audio elements mixed in too. Brilliant writing.