Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Some of the HP3 liberties don't work for me at all, however. For instance, going from Birds to The Courtyard. In my view, it would have been far better to have Birds, Sir Cadogan, then The Courtyard and then The Hippogriff Lesson. Makes much more sense musically. And moving the Hogsmeade source cues to the bonus section is something I would never have done either. I’m guessing these decisions were taken because JW didn’t include them on the OST, but then, he also didn’t include The Courtyard.

However, would it have been completely chronological, every musical senselessness had been accepted.

I tried a strictly chronological edit of Azkaban, even moving the source cues to their correct place, and I ultimately preferred Mike's assembly. 

Bunching those 3 source cues (candy store, Three Broomsticks and Winter's Spell) between the suspense-heavy score cues really breaks the musical narrative heading into Act 3. 

I might try doing my own chronological edit of Azkaban again (recently found out I get Adobe Audition free with work so hey, might as well use it!). Doubt I'll prefer it to what Mike came up with though.

Will be an interesting experiment if nothing else. I always knew HP3 was heavy on the short cues but had no idea it was so complicated!

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

ronically, the only missing source music (Shawm) is probably the most effective at meshing directly into the score itself; the unsettling dissonance it creates with Discussing Black is tremendously effective and rather unique. Despite all the tedious jokes, I still think it's a shame it wasn't on the LLL. One of the few instances where source and score are seemingly designed to overlap and create an entirely new texture

:up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up:

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

They don't sync to the events happening

Wait till I post the CE3K iso score, you'll be surprised ;)

I tend to listen to Mike's program most as well, but I have a playlist that recreates nearly all the film edits regardless of how nasty they are. I enjoy music editing though so it was fun to recreate, but I imagine there are many here that would hate listening to it this way. I also do have a playlist that separates all the cues out as close as I can to how they were recorded though.

Essentially I have 4 Azkaban playlists: OST, LLL, Film Edit, Recorded Cues.

I used to have more film edits, particularly for the first score, but I eventually settled only on the tracked Halloween and First Night cues.

I've kept CoS and Azkaban pretty much exactly as they are. I did switch out the alternate Aunt Marge's Waltz to get the stinger, and I prefer the alternate opening.

Clarification: I meant Eleventh Commandment, TV Western and Lava Flow. I love The Five Notes, Advance Scout Greeting and The Conversation very much in their chrono places, I always kinda forget they're "just" source cues. They're crucial in setting up the 5 note motif so it can be paid off at the end.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Ironically, the only missing source music (Shawm) is probably the most effective at meshing directly into the score itself; the unsettling dissonance it creates with Discussing Black is tremendously effective and rather unique. Despite all the tedious jokes, I still think it's a shame it wasn't on the LLL. One of the few instances where source and score are intertwined by design and create an entirely new texture (can anyone with the sheet music confirm if there's an overlap direction here?)

The original sheet music for Shawm never leaked b (or any of the other source music, for that matter), only Discussing Black. However, the LTP score has the Shawm solo (given here to the English Horn) written in time with the rest of the orchestra. If it wasn’t intended to precisely line up, there’s notations to indicate that, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here:

image.jpeg

All the source music was recorded wild (not synced to any footage) and Cuaron and the music editors mixed it in where they wanted

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Spider-Fal, I like Jars Of Clay. Ate they still going?

I believe so, they did a collab Christmad album recently, their last actual album was in 2013 though.

2 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

The original sheet music for Shawm never leaked b (or any of the other source music, for that matter), only Discussing Black. However, the LTP score has the Shawm solo (given here to the English Horn) written in time with the rest of the orchestra. If it wasn’t intended to precisely line up, there’s notations to indicate that, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here:

Oh, now we need ENGLIISH HORN cue instead of SHAWM 

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Thanks. Their first one (maybe?), the one produced by Stephen Lipson is good.

Yup.

Edit: checking on Wiki, it seems Lipson produced their second album Much Afraid.

My favorite would have to be either Good Monsters or Eleventh Hour

What do you guys think looks better:

Version with no color, just lines in between each track

lines.JPG

Version with no lines, just alternating colors between each track

colors.JPG

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

I prefer the coloured version, personally.

Might I suggest a hybrid of the two? Maybe a slightly lighter shade of yellow (so it's not too distinct from the white) and dividing lines that aren't quite as thick as the line version.

Great idea.

Unrelated: I just threw together a Potter On-the-Go playlist (yep, on my iPod Classic!) to underscore the Halloween decorating process in my classroom, and at 0:33 in "The Rescue of Sirius," I swear I heard a fleeting, transformed reference to the old "Family Portrait" theme in the buildup to Buckbeak's theme.  What say you?  Is there one more SS theme in POA?

And another thought: "Hogsmeade Candy Box" would have made a great Alan Silvestri '90s comedy theme.  Imagine it done by a full orchestra at a decent tempo.  What a hidden gem of a melody!

On 10/1/2020 at 4:28 PM, igger6 said:

at 0:33 in "The Rescue of Sirius," I swear I heard a fleeting, transformed reference to the old "Family Portrait" theme in the buildup to Buckbeak's theme.  What say you?  Is there one more SS theme in POA?

Hmmm. That is quite interesting. I can actually hear that a bit. Maybe?

Gorgeous table. I only noticed a couple of oddities on Complete Cue List:

7M6A - Sesssions & LLL both have ticking clock

(what sessions)

The Patronus Power - Probably recorded as an optional new ending for 6M5AN First Frozen Lake, but went unused

Probably, nevertheless, for 6M5 pt 2. This insert will sound very strange if inserted into 6M5AN.

Fan mockup "Dueling The Dementor Mockup #2" - Choral overlay for original 4M14 Dueling The Dementor

This is a complete insert that replaces the old material from original 4M14

In general, of course, the music for POA is a complete mess. Here it's very difficult to understand what's what...

Updating the cue names of my edit now. Great work.

But are you sure about those befriending the Hippogriff timings? Because I seem to recall you said in the past that the bonding cue actually started at 1:19 of the LLL track.

Also, how come you chose not to include a C&C tab? Not that I need one, just wondering.

41 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Updating the cue names of my edit now. Great work.

But are you sure about those befriending the Hippogriff timings? Because I seem to recall you said in the past that the bonding cue actually started at 1:19 of the LLL track.

1:19 is correct!  I dunno how 1:09 got into this doc instead.  I fixed it up, thanks!

Also, how come you chose not to include a C&C tab? Not that I need one, just wondering.

I think with a score like this, "chronological" is in the eye of the beholder.  With each cue that has multiple versions, each person might have a different opinion on which version should go in a main program vs which is thought of as a bonus.  Some people want source music in the main program, some want it as a bonus.  Some people want mockups, some people don't. And then there's also the revisions that are actually inserts meant to replace only a portion of an original cue, in which case some people would want only the original in the main and the insert on its own in the bonus, some people would edit the insert into the cue for the main and present the entire cue again without the insert as a bonus, etc....

Maybe I could provide a suggested editing guide, but it's the kind of score where there's no definitive version of it, really.

Yes, I have to agree. Although I suppose you could say a definitive version is everything the film uses in film order.

Question: You mention 4m10A as the second Winter's Spell. Are you saying this is actually a separate recording that MM got? I could swear it sounded different in the movie that next time, but thought it was the sound editing guys again. With that discovery, the missing shawm and finger alternate and the bats extension glitch, I say we need a new pressing.

10 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Yes, I have to agree. Although I suppose you could say a definitive version is everything the film uses in film order.

Isn't that what the BMI tab shows? Or are you talking about all the tracking they did too? If so I have no interest is figuring out and notating down tracking info

Question: You mention 4m10A as the second Winter's Spell. Are you saying this is actually a separate recording that MM got?

No, not at all! There's only the one recording. It was just used twice, because the carolers are shown onscreen twice. 

I could swear it sounded different in the movie that next time, but thought it was the sound editing guys again.

Sounds the same to me >shrug<