Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

50 minutes ago, Jay said:

You don't like the Azkaban re-recording of Hedwig's Theme?  I love it!

The only thing I really love about it is thah, if you also put the alternate firebolt in the main program, HP3 is exactly the same as 4-8, Hedwig's theme and new themes.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

You don't like the Azkaban re-recording of Hedwig's Theme?  I love it!

Ditto on this. I listen to this recording all the time. I only wish they had recorded the whole piece. Love the energy and the performance!

Neither of them hold a candle to this:

https://www.classicfm.com/composers/williams/accordium-leviosa-harry-potter-theme-accordion-duet/

(In all seriousness, these players are fantastic and their arrangement is as well. Their love for JW's work is evident. Well worth a full listen-through. It keeps getting better and better.)

12 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I always found the first score recording to be too restrained. Ross really brought 2 to life.

The first score is an absolute classic and basically perfect. However, I do agree that 2 has almost a looser feel, that does tend to feel more lively somehow. 

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea what makes it so good, and worthwhile to have, is the completely different energy it has compared to the one from the first movie.  The first movie was pushing the magical aspects, while this is more streamlined and adventurous, more in-line with the rest of the Azkaban score

Precisely!

7 hours ago, Datameister said:

Neither of them hold a candle to this:

https://www.classicfm.com/composers/williams/accordium-leviosa-harry-potter-theme-accordion-duet/

(In all seriousness, these players are fantastic and their arrangement is as well. Their love for JW's work is evident. Well worth a full listen-through. It keeps getting better and better.)

This was lovely! Definitely much needed after the week I've had! Thanks for sharing.

I've been listening through Prisoner of Azkaban lately and came across something which has been bugging me - in Walk in the Woods and several other iterations of WTTP theme, the horn section of that track has a lot of fuzzy air around it that's distracting, almost as if the mics picked up the air in the room. I went back to the OST and noticed it was there too so it must've been a recording thing. Other than that everything sounds great.

18 hours ago, crumbs said:

Some of them might be overlays recorded separately? The one in Lupin's Transformation definitely is. 

I'm talking about the horn thing before the transition to Bird's Flight in the same track.

4 hours ago, Cameron007 said:

Is there any indication all that unreleased POA alternate stuff was recorded?

It couldn't be confirmed one way or the other. I believe the analogue masters couldn't be located to verify what was/wasn't recorded, nor was any paperwork found (a recording schedule would have listed every cue and when it was recorded).

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I still don't hear that harpsichord difference in Befriending.

Here's a quick demonstration: film take, LLL take, film take, LLL take.

It's not a serious flub or terrible mix or anything but one's clearly superior. It's more of a difference than I can notice in any of the "it was on the OST so it's included here too" technically but not actually different takes in 2 and 3.

• 2 weeks later...

Question about Diagon Alley (Extended Version). In the movie, the cue opens with a tracked portion of Hermione's Feather. I always believed that was necessary because the sessions version is missing the reveal insert included on the LLL and is therefore too short fo the scene. However, if you paste the LLL cue in its entirity over the scene, do you still need Hermione's Feather? Or does the reveal insert end exactly after Hagrid welcomes Harry to the alley?

If I'm not mistaken the insert is meant to replace the first section of the "wizard band" portion of the cue (not the way it's presented in the LLL soundtrack).

In the film Hermione's feather is used exactly where the cue was meant to begin. Then the original cue starts later than it should and goes into more tracked music.

I'm sure Jason is able to explain it much better than I did.

On 7/12/2019 at 12:50 PM, Jay said:

The beginning of the "2M4 Insert Diagon Alley Reveal" sketch says "Overlap Bar 6 Orig 2M4" and shows it starting at 0:10.2 seconds

The end of the sketch says "Overlap Bar 9 orig 2m4" and shows a time of 0:25 something, so the Insert was certainly meant to replace a portion of the original cue. 

I wanted to include 2M4 without this Insert as a bonus track on disc 3, but it wasn't meant to be.  Luckily, you can hear WIlliams' original intentions before the Insert existed via the session leak.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone happen to have a list of the specific Potter music that plays in the various venues/attractions at Universal in FL? We just spent some time there. I'm admittedly not an expert on the Potter music but would love to create a playlist of all the cues used in the park. Not necessarily looking for a breakdown by area, attraction, etc. (though if someone has done one, AWESOME), but just in general, I'd love to know what music plays in the parks there.

This set has quickly skyrocketed to my top played since our trip! I couldn't love it any more.

3 minutes ago, ZackR said:

Does anyone happen to have a list of the specific Potter music that plays in the various venues/attractions at Universal in FL? We just spent some time there. I'm admittedly not an expert on the Potter music but would love to create a playlist of all the cues used in the park. Not necessarily looking for a breakdown by area, attraction, etc. (though if someone has done one, AWESOME), but just in general, I'd love to know what music plays in the parks there.

I don't know of a list, but I know there's tons of videos on YouTube recreating the sound atmosphere of the parks, including the music. I am not sure how accurate they are though since I haven't been able to go to the park yet.

Cool, thank you. Will check that out. I've been itching to create a playlist from the LLL set (or other films) to recreate the park ambience.

Thanks again!

I don't have any sort of organized lists, but I do know I've heard these among the main area BGM tracks for Hogsmeade:

• Dumbledore's Army
  • Professor Umbridge
  • Rita Skeeter
  • The Friends

There are obviously many others.

Forbidden Journey doesn't use much music, but I believe Lumos! is used near the beginning, and a pitch-shifted excerpt from Mr. Longbottom Flies is heard near the end.

I also remember that the Hogwarts Express uses new arrangements not available on album.

2 minutes ago, ZackR said:

Cool, thank you. Will check that out. I've been itching to create a playlist from the LLL set (or other films) to recreate the park ambience.

Thanks again!

Sure! Some samples to get you started:

Again. Not a clue if these are remotely accurate.

Referring back to Diagon Alley for a moment, the problem for me is that the original cue pauses right at the point where it feels Harry's wonderment should be at its peak, and instead we get some whimsical strings. It just doesn't work anywhere near as well as the crescendo-transition into the Great Hall music, which I guess is why it was replaced.

For my 16 year old self, hearing that wonderful cue twice in the film, and discovering that it wasn't on the album, was highly disappointing.

Unrelated: that shot from 0:17 to 0:19 has to be one of the worst uses of green screen seen in a recent blockbuster.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Referring back to Diagon Alley for a moment, the problem for me is that the original cue pauses right at the point where it feels Harry's wonderment should be at its peak, and instead we get some whimsical strings. It just doesn't work anywhere near as well as the crescendo-transition into the Great Hall music, which I guess is why it was replaced.

The originally intended music is more like source music that could be playing at a wizard market.

• 3 weeks later...

I must confess, I am not completely happy that I gave away my OST CDs of the first three Potter scores after purchasing this 7 CDbox. I mean, the box is great, but as listening experience the OST CDs were slightly better. Over long periods there is not much happening musically in the scores. The first Harry Potter works best in the complete score presentation, but for HP2 I would say, the OST works better. Also for HP3 the OST works better for me. I know, I could create my favourite playlist. The box has it all. But I am an old fashioned guy that actually listens to CDs. I think, having bith would have been best.

Just now, GerateWohl said:

I must confess, I am not completely happy that I gave away my OST CDs of the first three Potter scores after purchasing this 7 CDbox. I mean, the box is great, but as listening experience the OST CDs were slightly better. Over long periods there is not much happening musically in the scores. The first Harry Potter works best in the complete score presentation, but for HP2 I would say, the OST works better. Also for HP3 the OST works better for me. I know, I could create my favourite playlist. The box has it all. But I am an old fashioned guy that actually listens to CDs. I think, having bith would have been best.

For sure, I still have my original OST purchases. I absolutely want the option to listen to both.