Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

Just now, Jay said:

I've never understood the logic behind getting rid of your OST album just because an expansion comes out.  I would never even occur to me to think about doing so

So, you must have a lot of space for CDs. Mine is limited.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

What if the expansion includes a disc with the OST in improved sound?

Yes. Like War of the Worlds. It even has the same cover.

13 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I still keep my original OST.  I never pair down my film score collection

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I still keep it to have the version with the original sound. For fun / archival purposes.

I will be honest though, there's a couple that need to be replaced with better copies of the same thing if I can find them...they've gotten worn over the years.

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

I still keep my original OST.  I never pair down my film score collection

Ok, but I'm sure you get rid of soundtrack albums you don't like.

11 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

I will be honest though, there's a couple that need to be replaced with better copies of the same thing if I can find them...they've gotten worn over the years.

LPs, you mean?

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Ok, but I'm sure you get rid of soundtrack albums you don't like.

I never have, no

Hmm, probably. Nothing in particular comes to mind though 

In this modern age you can sample everything on Spotify before you decide to invest in a physical version, ya know? 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I've never understood the logic behind getting rid of your OST album just because an expansion comes out.  I would never even occur to me to think about doing so

Well for one, it rids one of a lot of useless CDs that take up space. I’ve got 2-3 boxes full of CDs that will never get played again. 

And while not every score gets this treatment, quite a few releases are including the original album presentation.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

If the new version includes OST with improved sound and has another benefits as better cover, thick booklet full of information,..etc., (see 1941, Dracula, Earthquake, E.T., The Fury, Home Alone, Jaws, Jaws 2, The River, Rosewood, Superman, War of the Worlds, etc.),  so there is no logical reason to keep the previous version. I will probably never listen to it again. It will collect dust and take up space only. So why to keep it when I can pass it on somebody who will be glad about it. Sometimes I use these old OST versions as prizes in my film music contests.

36 minutes ago, Jay said:

In this modern age you can sample everything on Spotify before you decide to invest in a physical version, ya know? 

Well, there's still some soundtrack releases that aren't on Spotify, and before 2008 it wasn't always that easy to listen to a complete soundtrack before buying. I've certainly made many failed soundtrack purchases both pre-Spotify and after.

9 minutes ago, Ollie said:

Well for one, it rids one of a lot of useless CDs that take up space. I’ve got 2-3 boxes full of CDs that will never get played again. 

If you PM me pictures of all the spines, I'll make an offer if I find something interesting. :)

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

LPs, you mean?

No. Just super scratched up CDs, my original copy of CoS is in quite poor condition after a move. My copy of Goblet of Fire and a couple others, for example, were also victims of a water leak, so the art is all wrinkled. They all still play okay, but it'd be nice to refresh with new discs.

I gave away my HP1-3 OSTs the day the box set was announced. I've occasionally regretted that, but only for nostalgia/emotional reasons: I got those OSTs right after watching the movies as a child, so they have sentimental value.

However, I recently listened to the HP1 OST and found it such a weird listening experience that I doubt I'd have played those CDs ever again. I totally understand why the box set might be too much for some people, but the OSTs just don't contain what they should: HP1 wastes time with the Children's Suite, HP2 is missing Quidditch, HP3 is missing a lot of delicious source music etc.

I think CoS is the most effective OST of the three - nothing massively critical missed off, I don't think. HP1 wastes too much time with music not in the film, and HP3 has misplaced priorities in terms of what to include.

I also never get rid of anything, even when superseded.

16 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I also never get rid of anything, even when superseded.

Yeah, I'm a bad hoarder like that too. I can't even delete old recording session leaks after Mike expands a score and renders them obsolete.

But I can't wait to bin the 51 different folders of various Star Wars releases, once he expands those 9 scores.

30 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I think CoS is the most effective OST of the three - nothing massively critical missed off, I don't think.

Every single actual in-film Chamber rendition, maybe? Sure would have been more fitting than some of the tracks included like Dueling Club or Aragog or the bloody Cornish Pixies which is just a full reprise of the Flying Keys material already present on the first OST?

21 hours ago, Jay said:

taking that further those that didn’t have or have gotten rid of their OSTs you can still listen to many of those on these services if you miss them. 

28 minutes ago, Holko said:

Every single actual in-film Chamber rendition, maybe? Sure would have been more fitting than some of the tracks included like Dueling Club or Aragog or the bloody Cornish Pixies which is just a full reprise of the Flying Keys material already present on the first OST?

And we also totally needed HWW again.

I don't miss the Harry Potter OSTs, since they're truly not among Williams' best. I created much better and less streamlined listening experiences of all three scores that I can listen to as an alternative to the complete score presentations.

I don't really like JW's OST since the CD era. His last really good OST is what... Home Alone? It's also the first OST with a CD-lenght program.

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

I don't really like JW's OST since the CD era. His last really good OST is what... Home Alone? It's also the first OST with a CD-lenght program.

Home Alone senselessly repeats material (track 1 and 3).

Just now, bollemanneke said:

Home Alone senselessly repeats material (track 1 and 3).

And too many songs over more score. And puts things in a stupid order.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

I just found it strange at a certain period in the 90s that the title track was repeated at the end as a reprise, e.g. Seven Years in Tibet, Angela's Ashes and there were probably more.

Thats the williams trademark of beefing up cds without really releasing the most score cues possible...

Other reprises: The patriot, saving private rian...

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I just found it strange at a certain period in the 90s that the title track was repeated at the end as a reprise, e.g. Seven Years in Tibet, Angela's Ashes and there were probably more.

Star Wars

Superman

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Witches of Eastwick

Home Alone

JFK

Jurassic Park

Rosewood

Amistad

Seven Years In Tibet

Saving Private Ryan

The Phantom Menace

Angela's Ashes

The Patriot

Minority Report

The Terminal 

Lincoln

All have major pieces on their OSTs twice, once at the beginning an once at the end

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

Star Wars

Superman

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Witches of Eastwick

Home Alone

JFK

Jurassic Park

Rosewood

Amistad

Seven Years In Tibet

Saving Private Ryan

The Phantom Menace

Angela's Ashes

The Patriot

Minority Report

The Terminal 

Lincoln

All have major pieces on their OSTs twice, once at the beginning an once at the end

Yes, but usually it was at least partly different. Like at Raiders of the Lost Ark once with Marion's theme in the middle and once without. But at Seven Years in Tibet, Saving Private Rian, Angela's Ashes and others it is reall a 1:1 repetition.

11 hours ago, Bespin said:

What is a CD length program for you? I would say, Indy 2 and The River were the last LP-length soundtrack (not more than around 40 minutes). Then came Spacecamp with 47 minutes, Witches of Eastwick with 52 minutes, and around 1 hour with Always and Indy 3, which both also do not seem to have LP in mind any more with regard to the sequencing. 

The OST of HA I found very unsatisfying due to the mix with songs. There are a lot of later OSTs that are really good like Schindlers List, Angelas Ashes, also more recent War Horse, Tintin, the BFG only to name a few.

The problem is that, in the vinyl period... you pretty must have to stick to the 30-40 minutes limitation.. SPLITTED IN TWO PARTS (SIDE A and SIDE B)... SO BE CONCISE and offer a great listening experience for each side. It means to have a good track starting and ending each side of the LP. And for some exceptional scores, some composers were authorized to offer a 2-LP program, what a chance! But then again, a big starting track for each side... and a big finale for each last track of a side.

With CDs... there's no "SIDES", there's no first or last track for each side. There's no need anymore to change the order of the music.  People are now expecting a chronological order.

Now that I understood that, I try to listen every JW's post-90 scores in chronological order (well the best I can do without editing).

Try that, you'll find it's a more enjoyable listening experience.

17 minutes ago, Gurkensalat said:

What is a CD length program for you?

Like I answered, it's not just about the lenght, it's about the fact there is no "sides". The program is continuous.

Go on Discogs, and look at the "SIDES" of old JW's OST, you'll understand what I mean.  

image.png

13 minutes ago, blondheim said:

Ain't nothing wrong with making sure every twenty minutes are enjoyable

That was the idea of an LP programming, then you have to remember that the outer grooves [first tracks of a side] reproduce the frequencies at their best).

I hope I'm not teaching anybody where to usually find the "best" cues (from the artist/producer point of view) on an LP?

image.png

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

And Jurassic Park.

Now there's an OST with a completely insane track order: Theme from Jurassic Park, Journey to the Island, Welcome to Jurassic Park and then End Credits. I mean, it's a great theme, but honestly.

An identical 3 minute cue appears in both Theme from Jurassic Park and Journey to the Island, and then an identical 3 1/2 minute cue appears in both Welcome to Jurassic Park and End Credits

The 1:1 reprises have always been a puzzler. For a composer that is known for his themes and variations, curious then that so much space is reserved for straight reprises on his OSTs. I love an album presentation, but I would rather only hear each thing once, really, even if that means a shorter disc. There are exceptions to every rule of course but for the most part I don't want any 1:1s on my OSTs. How odd would it be to have an artist release an album with the same song on it three times, zero variation? Even showtunes typically eschew that practice. Classical music sometimes has exposition repeats but in almost all the cases I know, conductors frequently choose not to take them. Even the original composers most often didn't. He has really leaned into this practice on and off over the years, it's never completely faded out of his style of album producing. That it is so clearly purposeful is what makes me so curious

Don't forget Prisoner of Azkaban and Mischief Managed. First we have a little more then 4 minutes of the original End Credits (the last minute of it we already hear in A Window to the Past) then we have Buckbeak’s Flight (again), The Snowball Fight (again), Double Trouble (again),The Knight Buss (again), Aunt Marge’s Waltz (again) and ends with Hedwig's Theme. 

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

An identical 3 minute cue appears in both Theme from Jurassic Park and Journey to the Island, and then an identical 3 1/2 minute cue appears in both Welcome to Jurassic Park and End Credits

And it works great as a standalone listening experience.