Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

Maybe much of the confusion is linked to Williams initially scoring a wrong cut of the film? Since it only became apparent during the actual recording of the score, I'm sure Williams and everybody else had to work like lightning figuring out what to do, perhaps resulting in some weird titles for the rewrites? 

Unfortunately I can't find the original link about it, but I know I've posted it before.

On 4/4/2021 at 4:09 PM, bollemanneke said:

Completely pointless post. I finished watching HP2 and just wanted to repeat how awesome these scores are. Now, more than ever, I'm wondering what a POA score for Columbus would have sounded like. It's so sad all the thematic development stops here.

It would have been a bit more original than CoS due to the free schedule but still be far less than the Cuaron score.

There would've probably been concert arrangement style themes for Sirius Black and the Dementors (who would've looked more like the standard "flying ringwraiths" design of the books)

39 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Isn't Sirius' theme more of a motif? I struggle a bit to see a full concert piece coming out of that.

I think he is saying that there would be a totally different theme if it was a Columbus film, that would get a concert arrangement.

On 4/4/2021 at 11:17 PM, Datameister said:

Incidentally, for anyone here who enjoys the films' production design, I've been working on a 3D model that explores the changing designs of Hogwarts. Feel free to check out my blog if you're interested: https://hogwarts4d.home.blog

That's so cool! I will definitely dive into your blog, since I'm both a rookie Blender user and hopelessly obsessing over the changing designs of Hogwarts in the movies. Thanks for that!

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea it was probably my favorite LTP concert

Wish I could go to one, here they're rebooting the LTP series after HP2 was a complete failure and in England they're now doing HP5. Nobody needs that.

10 hours ago, InTheCity said:

I'm late to this party - any info when this is back in stock?

It just came back into stock 2 months ago, on February 2nd, which came with this big notice on their home page

500 units of HARRY POTTER – THE JOHN WILLIAMS COLLECTION (7-CD BOX SET) is coming back in stock and will ship out later this month. Order yours now!

By February 7th, those 500 were all sold, and the title is now "Temporarily Out of Stock" until the final batch arrives.

As for when that batch could arrive, on that same day, MV posted this:

If all goes well that 2020 backlog of delayed projects will be unclogged soon and a wealth of top titles will be seeing the light of day soon.

In the meantime we will do our damnedest to get more Harry Potter sets produced. It's not sold out. I repeat ITS NOT SOLD OUT...just OUT OF STOCK. Its just a pricey endeavor to make the packaging and manufacture the 7 cds at a third party finished goods rate, but we should have some more in stock by Summer.

I think Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea 4 cd set is getting low though and that WILL BE SOLD OUT once they are gone, so if you want one, now is the time to buy.

There is a slight delay on The World is Not Enough. The plant can't seem to find the paper so we are having more printed up now. Look for that to start shipping by months end. Same with Romancing the Stone and Invaders...delays on those have to deal with an industry wide short supply of poly-carbonate materials at the cd plant for the moment.

We hope to have some new releases first week or two of March. After that, fingers crossed, a great flood shall wash upon the soundtrack marketplace unlike ever before...at least for a period of time. 

MV

19 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Title it "Themes from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" 

And make it the suite from 49 secs to 4:40 in the end credits track below. And that way you have a perfect concert suite - 

Good idea - but once change is that I'd add Buckbeak's Flight to the end, just after the WttP crescendo - it provides the uplifting home run, just like Hedwig's Theme does. I mean, the ending isn't as strong, but you can't have everything for a suite that's not custom-composed.

• 2 months later...

A lot of the dropped themes feel pretty childish, which fit with the first 2 films but would have been more and more out of place as the series went darker and darker.

4 minutes ago, Holko said:

A lot of the dropped themes feel pretty childish, which fit with the first 2 films but would have been more and more out of place as the series went darker and darker.

I don't know. Potter Scoring Project is doing a pretty good job of it. Plus he could always do what he did with The Force theme in Revenge of the Sith and distort the themes in different situations. Hell if you really think some of the themes wouldn't work in the form they're in now, he could always turn them into a minor key. 

Well it is: fussy Bilbo, sneaky Bilbo... and at the end of the day, the finale leaves you completely unsatisfied, but oh right, they crossed the misty mountains, so you can't have the best theme of the entire trilogy anymore!

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

2. I just LOVE the emotional moment at 5:06 in The Face of Voldemort. No idea why this passage suddenly got to me the way it did.

Same here. I think that's actually a variant on the ending of the family theme (0:23 of Leaving Hogwarts) which is partially why it's so emotional. The John Williams trilogy of HP scores are so close to being my favorite trilogy from him. If Prisoner of Azkaban had just one reference each to themes like family, friendship, and the 3-note motif, and if Chamber of Secrets had a little less temp tracking, it would be the best, easily for me. 

I'm actually just listening to HP3 and although Mike's presentation is really, really growing on me, I have to say I like the score a lot less at the moment. Individual cues still stand out, of course, but it's just a really incoherent score. HP1, on the other hand, is perfect. It transports me back to my childhood every single time, even though I only became aware of film music because of HP4.

I've never listened to 2 or 3 in any quantity - they're fantastic for individual set pieces and moments but they don't have the consistency in style and tone that the first score has.

The same sort of goes for LotR as well - I have listened to the FotR CR during a car journey, but I'm not sure TTT/RotK would work as well.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

The same sort of goes for LotR as well - I have listened to the FotR CR during a car journey, but I'm not sure TTT/RotK would work as well.

I can verify that they do.

Just now, bollemanneke said:

You'd have to plan a huge car journey for ROTK though.

I just pick up where I leave off when I back get in the car. That's how I learn long scores.

What style changes happen in LOTR 2 and 3? It all seems pretty cohesive and on point to me. Now you want to say The Hobbit and LOTR have significant differences, that I understand. 

12 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Sorry to bump this thread again, but I just finished HP1 and 2 again and my admiration for these scores is growing even more. 1 especially is a masterpiece, but I just wanted to share these two observations:

1. I don't understand why Columbus ended up replacing Lonely First Night. The cue really works very well in the intended scene, just take away the fanfare. Leaving Hogwarts is way too 'fulfilled'.

I prefer the tracking there.  The brass chorale Hogwarts Forever is a bit too "odd" (a bit like the unused statement from Hagrid Breaks the Door)

I listened to that cue again and I'd disagree there. Aside from the fanfare (which I think we've agreed is wrong for the scene), the material before it strikes me as more out of the children's suite, and just meanders a bit for me.

I've said this before, but I think this score represents what good tracking can do to a film - I reckon that even if you took the music stem, and without knowing the score like we do, you'd be hard-pressed to identify any moments that were tracked.

Which cues on Chamber have the Nimbus 2000 material? Obviously Escape From the Dursleys but I am not all that familiar with this complete score presentation and am curious where else

10 minutes ago, Holko said:

Quidditch, Second Year! And also some comedic renditions in Cakes for Crabbe and Goyle / Polyjuice Potion. I think that's about it?

I'm talking about the gorgeous soaring bridge, not the more mischievous material.

I have no idea why this theme wasn't utilized more. One of my favorite Williams themes. The bridge of Battle of Heroes didn't get used enough either.

I feel like when you build such a solid bridge, you should get some use out of it.

Ah. Well, the movies don't have many bridge shots until that scene in Azkaban ;)

But yeah, it is pretty damn underutilised. Mr. Longbottom Flies, Escape from he Dursleys, The Firebolt? Is that is?

I think that's it, yeah.

It was always my favorite too, beautiful and as a kid I always thought kinda badass too. It really sells the drama of that Harry vs Draco confrontation and the victory as he descends to the crowd with the Remembrall.

I wonder if Williams composed it for that scene first and then saw fit to incorporate it into Hedwig's Theme later on, or if it was the reverse where he thought of it musically first in relation to Hedwig's Theme and then he found a place for it dramatically. Might be the former since I think his concert arrangements usually come later as he's naturally prioritizing the film work but those process questions are interesting. I wonder if he even remembers anymore.

I completely agree! I used to conduct the shit out of that piece in my bedroom. I was the guy at the beginning of Moulin Rouge.

I remember I was even more frustrated when Prisoner came out and Mischief Managed only had that tiiiiiny little piece of it.

Well, at least it's an interesting new arrangement of it in Escape from the Dursleys at least. I guess it'll be the Dragon Racing of Chamber of Secrets. That's cool, I guess.