Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

Ah yes, forgot about Myrtle - yep, that's some nice original stuff too.

Gilderoy's material is okay; I agree it's hardly a carbon copy of No Ticket, and the rhythm for the actual dueling part is nice. Just far from a highlight, I think.

Back in the day, we were watching last crusade with some friends, and at the no ticket scene, one that is a huge  hp fan but not a film score or williams fan said “hey thats gilderoy lockarts music”….

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Back in the day, we were watching last crusade with some friends, and at the no ticket scene, one that is a huge  hp fan but not a film score or williams fan said “hey thats gilderoy lockarts music”….

I misread "one that is a huge hip hop fan", and for some reason that made me laugh like a moron.

1 hour ago, Datameister said:

Yeah, the Goat Bait/Eye to Eye rip in that track is far more direct than Lockhart's theme, which is "just" very much in the same vein as No Ticket.

57 minutes ago, Jay said:

Huh, why am I drawing a blank on what music you're referring to?

I think it's the part in which Harry speaks Parseltongue and everyone thinks he's telling the snake to hurt Justin Finch-Fletchley: the underscore is a lot similar to the JP unused Goat Bait cue!

Um.. i hear more last crusade. (catacombs maybe?)

The resemblance is not striking...otherwise it would be more common to speak about it...and i think it is the 1st time i had it seen mentioned.

Can we agree that Williams worse case was photocopying pages in The Lost World? :P

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, TSMefford said:

The Sorcerer's vs Philosopher's Stone thing is one of the silliest and most unnecessary things. 

Agreed, as in, the reason for it existing, the change of title in the first place, is one of the silliest and most unnecessary things.

7 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Interesting that scholastic and WB were going to revert to the original title but didnt had the balls in the end…

It shouldn't even take balls. It's the original title. Studios are always so damn scared over the smallest thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been listening to HP3 and just wondered: do we know for a fact that the entire Double Trouble cue to be played in the film? Can't it just be a track created for the album too? I'm asking because I can't imagine a version of the movie in which Double Trouble just starts and plays entirely.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

you certainly want the theme introduced this way in the score proper

Train to Hogwarts

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Personally I like the shorter version with the new opening properly flowing into it in the main program, and the full untouched recording as a bonus track

same!

54 minutes ago, Jay said:

Admittedly, sometimes I skip it!

I used to, but one day for whatever reason, when I played it while driving, I got chills in the finale of the song (when it transitions to Flitwick's choir in the film), and every subsequent listen has had the same effect for me. There's not many pieces of music that can do that for me consistently, so safe to say I've grown to love it. 

If you want a "best of both worlds" fix, Something Wicked Intro can actually segue nicely to the start of the full song. You just have to chop off the end of the intro, which obviously was written to overlap the middle of the song.

12 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Yeah, and the final concert arrangement is even worse.

I'm completely baffled why he keeps repeating the same verse. It works better vocalless.

Aye, that's what I was taking about when I said 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

the shorter version with the new opening properly flowing into it

What's unique about the DT film version is that, when the second half of the song starts, that high recorder is dialed out. Sadly, we can't replicate that, only the isolated score contains that version, so Art of the Score podcast to the rescue.

As for the source music annoying... I LOVE, LOVE the pub cue!

20 minutes ago, crypto said:

Curious that the frog puppeteers were able to mimic their mouths in perfect sync with the music, if the croaking wasn't part of Williams' demo...?

Supposedly the frogs were CG. I always thought they were puppets too.

31 minutes ago, Holko said:

Supposedly the frogs were CG. I always thought they were puppets too.

Unless they CGI'd them into publicity photos, the frogs were puppets:

double-trouble-choir.jpg

But how did the puppeteers sync the frog mouths without croaking in the demo track? I'd be surprised if Williams wasn't aware of them, considering the frog puppets would've been planned in advance of shooting.

I do recall Mike saying he wanted to include a croaking version on the LLL but couldn't find it in WB's elements.

It's also unclear why Williams' original demo wasn't included on the LLL; it's even referenced in the liner notes.

43 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

What's unique about the DT film version is that, when the second half of the song starts, that high recorder is dialed out. Sadly, we can't replicate that, only the isolated score contains that version, so Art of the Score podcast to the rescue.

Yes, the AOTS podcast was a godsend in that respect! I knew I wasn't going crazy when I heard the clean isolated score; you simply cannot replicate the film version using the LLL (sadly).

I guess we can hope for an isolated score leak in the future, considering how much music remains exclusive to the film mix (whether Williams' intentions or not).

8 hours ago, crypto said:

I would've loved a "film version" of the intro + song with singing frogs.

I did one!

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

... that high recorder is dialed out. Sadly, we can't replicate that, only the isolated score contains that version, so Art of the Score podcast to the rescue.

I actually used the 5.1 surround mix from the credits appearance of the track and was able to replicate this without Art of the Score. The high recorder is only in the center channel. Mute the center channel and you've basically got that section how it appears during the transition. Although I believe there might be a bit of echo left over that I had to filter out.

17 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Oh, that's right! I've never been able to edit surround sound myself. I'd be happy already if I found a program that could generate fake openings for recording session simulation purposes.

It comes in handy for some of these kinds of things!

As far as faked endings. I usually just do a combination of manual filtering and very well-tuned manual reverb plug-ins. It's not easy to match reverb manually, but I do my best. I'd love something that could do it automatically, but most things I've seen are a bit out of my price range. Maybe someday!

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

You're talking about faked endings, he mentioned faked openings

Similar, but different techniques needed!

Ah I misread it as talking about both. Lol. "Faked openings and endings"

Faked openings are harder and very different for sure! Those can require some intricate filtering, signal reduction, I've even done noise matching on some of those too.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I can do an OK-ish faked ending with a bunch of fiddling around with reverb, but struggle very much with faked openings!

It's an artform! Lol