Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

I do doubt he would have allowed it!

But I don't know if he would have or not.

I'm having lunch with Mike on Saturday, I can ask him if he ever talked to Jaime about Shawm or not!

Yes please!

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I am amused by how much discussion Shawm has gotten since the set came out.  I don't think Mike and I said more than a sentence or two about it when working on the set!

It is amusing for such a random cue, I agree!

Personally, I love the Shawm cue, but then again, Prisoner of Azkaban was released when I was 9 and it was the movie that made me interested in just about every part of film making.

The Shawm cue specifically made me obsessed with source music. The fact that source music heard by the characters within the film's world is composed by the film's composer along with the actual score fascinated me (still does, actually). And I would spend hours thinking bout the logistics behind it - some source cues (like Double Trouble) would have to be written and recorded even before filming. Or in some of Fellini's films when Nino Rota's film score blends into source music and back again - how did they plan that? It's a very nerdy part of filmmaking, but I love it.

And even if I love how cool the mix of Discussing Black and the Shawm cue sounds together in the film, I actually think I'm more interested in the cue because of what it means to me personally rather than it's musical value as a composition, haha.

53 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I'm all for an inclusion on a new set as follows: Discussing Black in the main program + the shawm cue in the bonus section + another track in the bonus section that combines them like in the movie. LLL did that on Goldsmith's The Stripper release with a piece of source music and a score cue.

Yes!

A bonus track combining Shawm with Discussing Black (as heard in the film) would've been the perfect compromise, if a standalone source track was ruled out. 

Another track combining the Double Trouble Intro with its intended overlap would've been helpful too. Try as I might, it's almost impossible to recreate that film version mix using the separate tracks. 

7 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

All this talk of Shawm, when the original “Remembering Mother” and its references in later cues is what I really want to hear!

If only we knew if they were actually recorded! :(

9 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I'm all for an inclusion on a new set as follows: Discussing Black in the main program + the shawm cue in the bonus section + another track in the bonus section that combines them like in the movie. LLL did that on Goldsmith's The Stripper release with a piece of source music and a score cue.

If there were to be a new set I'd love to see more of the clean openings and endings released too. More than half the tracks on PoA combine 2 or more cues each. It's an excellently constructed listening experience the way it is, but I'd prefer to have the increased customizability.

Even if it isn't possible to release them all as separate cues because they're too short, it should be possible to include multiple cues (without overlap) in the same track right? 

Man, all you guys do is complain.  Often they're about things you already have (like the Shawm track and Double Trouble transition) but for some reason want an even more arcane version of.  In fact, I'm beginning to think that you guys don't listen to music or watch movies either.  I think you just complain about them on JWFan all day.  That's why some of you have thousands and thousands of posts.

3 hours ago, Skelly said:

Man, all you guys do is complain.  Often they're about things you already have (like the Shawm track and Double Trouble transition) but for some reason want an even more arcane version of.  In fact, I'm beginning to think that you guys don't listen to music or watch movies either.  I think you just complain about them on JWFan all day.  That's why some of you have thousands and thousands of posts.

Nah, we listen to music while we complain, more efficient that way ;)

Changing the topic slightly, how bad are the audio issues on the initial pressings of the Azkaban discs versus the new ones? I can’t easily pick up on that kind of thing. 

As a point of reference, is it more or less of a problem than the sound quality of the 1997 Empire and Jedi Special Edition soundtracks (which are likewise frequently praised for their selection of music but criticized for poor audio)?

Thanks!

(To clarify, my hearing is not the most acute, and I’m essentially of the “quantity over quality” camp when it comes to a soundtrack expansion). It’s really been bothering me, though, that I can’t hear these flaws that I suppose should be obvious…?

10 hours ago, Skelly said:

If you had actually read half of my posts in this thread, you'd know I found this set a life-changing experience and I think it's very, very good overall, just not perfect.

I already know you and Once are exceptions.  I'm just saying -- four years later and the same conversations are being had, usually by the same people who have already had them several times.  Get some new material, JWFan!

Oh it is definitely a fantastic set. Would I love to see an absolutely definitive version of POA like this new JP? Yes of course but just like the 2016 JP Set, if this POA is all we get then it will be more than sufficient for me.

but… I’d buy it again for sure. POA is an absolute masterpiece and will always get my money

I'm not sure if I'd re-buy it, honestly. One part of me would 100% want a definitive POA, but then again receiving this set for Christmas was so seminal that I can't discard this version. Then another part, the one Marie Kondo took over, is saying I shouldn't have the same thing on my shelf twice.

I'd re-buy any Williams/Potter score, if Matessino has made any improvements. Actually, that's probably true of any Williams score...

I don't have the Shawm cue from some podcast, I'm not good at audio editing at all. That's why I love Matessino's releases, even if recording sessions or whatever is floating around. They're basically always definitive (in my opinion).

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

1 & 2 are pretty much perfectly assembled IMO. Azkaban I have heavily edited and rearranged. Mike did a great job of leaving space between cues and such to facilitate easy fan editing, but I’d still be interested in having a clock and no clock version of all the cues that take place in the past and wouldn’t say no to more clean openings/endings, to say nothing of any additional alternates that may have been recorded. Oh and we need a fix for the end of the film version of Saving Buckbeak.

So yeah, I’d probably re-buy Azkaban at least. I’m pretty happy with my edit if a new edition never comes though.

Very this.

• 3 weeks later...

New theory. I was just listening to parts of my HP1  DVD Rip (still think that film reverb needs to carry over to CD releases) and noticed again that, in the LLL track with the Change of Season cue, 3:14-16 is micro-edited in the film. I first thought they did that to fit the scene, but then I listened to the unedited portion of the recording and think I heard a rather major mistake in the violins. That made me wonder: is that why they edited this out? I really think the film version is better, especially the cello part is much more moving and logical this way. I think the bit they took out is too chaotic. What do you think?

EDIT: Just checked the film, they actually retained the flub. But I still think removing these two bars was a fantastic decision.

16 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Okay, this took me 20 minutes to find, God knows why. I'm talking about the edit at around the five-minute mark. We need those isolated scores.

So this is the edit which is underlying the film?

To my ears something is missing. The phrase is cut off.

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Ah, I think the exact opposite. The added phrase in the recording as-is sounds off to me.

Are you alluding to the hectical strings in the background?

Not particularly, surprisingly. More to the extra two notes in the theme extension. In the score, you have the first family phrase and then four notes. The film only has two. I like that much more. The cue as written sounds unnatural, as if it was written in such a way that they'd have the possibility to create the film edit.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Not particularly, surprisingly. More to the extra two notes in the theme extension. In the score, you have the first family phrase and then four notes. The film only has two. I like that much more. The cue as written sounds unnatural, as if it was written in such a way that they'd have the possibility to create the film edit.

Definitely disagree. The film version is fine, but I prefer it without the edit. I wouldn't even call it an extension of the theme; that's just how the family theme always goes. I'm curious if you have the same issue with other statements of the theme?

58 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Not that I recall, no. Maybe I'm biased because I seem to remember mentally "imprinting on" the film version. I defintely saw the film multiple times before hearing the OST.

Ah, I getcha. That's probably a big part of it. Part of me still expects Cantina Band #2 to have that conspicuous edit in its main melody.

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

That Cantina Band edit is weird.  Like, who came up with that, and for what purpose was it done?

It is weird, and I like it. My assumption has always been that they wanted the musical phrase to last neatly for the whole shot of the band. If they'd cut the film the exact same way but not edited the music, it would have been a little awkward in the cut to Han.

Oh, also, I discovered something else yesterday: that grace note in the Firebolt that we were all surprised at, it's actually in the film. I don't understand why I found that weird at first as I've definitely spent more time with the film than that problematic OST.