Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Oh, also, I discovered something else yesterday: that grace note in the Firebolt that we were all surprised at, it's actually in the film. I don't understand why I found that weird at first as I've definitely spent more time with the film than that problematic OST.

Now THAT is something that sounds like it shouldn't be there. (Because it shouldn't.)

Yeah, I must say, I just thought carefully about what you said about the family theme always sounding like this in HP1, and again, I don't understand why I never realised that. I still prefer the film version, but you're right. God, still discovering things after 21 years.

On 21/09/2022 at 3:48 AM, bollemanneke said:

@TSMeffordI just found your alternate firebolt synced to picture in this thread. My God, it does indeed work very well.

Oh yeah! Thanks! It's quite cool to hear it in the scene and it's not bad at all!

Eh. Complicated as my feelings on the franchise may be currently, there's too much there that worked for it to not be remembered for a lot of positive reasons. The music is certainly the easiest to divorce from it, but it's too ingrained into pop culture for it to drop off so easily without the author actually committing a heinous crime.

10 hours ago, BB-8 said:

I just had a more generic thought:

The only thing that will remain of the whole Potter/Rowling franchise will be the music of John Williams. 

Please don't forget Patrick Doyle. Please.

16 hours ago, Cameron007 said:

I agree, Yates was what drove the movies down.

Yes, and there has been no improvement since the launch of the "Fantastic Beasts" franchise, which is now completely screwed up.

Including the music.

The sign for me that the FB franchise is in trouble is the embarassingly tiny FANTASTIC BEASTS in the SoD logo.

What WB actually wants is more Potter movies.

I've never seen any of the FBs as they never appeared on Netflix (at least while I was with them) so I have no opinion as to whether the movies suck or not. Although I just saw Prime has a free '10 minute preview'... just make the damn movie Prime, it's been out long enough.

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Trope said:

…the strange decision to include a portion of The Dementors Converge on the alternate Watching the Past track…

Actually, that is part of the alternate as it was composed, conducted and recorded.

12 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Actually, that is part of the alternate as it was composed, conducted and recorded.

Oh wow, so the version of Watching the Past which uses the Patronus Light chorus (in the main program) was a revision and not originally intended by JW? Does that mean both the Dementors Converge and Watching the Past were originally meant to have the same chaotic music for the patronus between them?

19 hours ago, Trope said:

I believe that somewhere it was mentioned that the first section of the last track on the Prisoner of Azkaban score (Trailer) was written by someone other than John Williams. However, this was the first time I realised that the concluding statement of JW's family theme (tracked with Reunion of Friends from Chamber of Secrets?) has the stereo channels reversed. I never noticed this before! I wonder if it is like that in the actual trailer itself...

I found the trailer where the music is used and the portion of Reunion of Friends has the correct left and right channels, so it is only a mix-up on the CD track.

Whoops! Oh well, I never listen to that track anyway 😛

My understanding is the elements provided by WB for POA were less than satisfactory, so I don't necessarily trust that whatever was provided to Mike was "accurate," so to speak. 

I'd love to see a standalone 3CD reissue of Azkaban someday, if all the correct elements are found and more of the film mix versions of cues can be presented (whether Williams' intent or not). Not to mention the alternates that may or may not have been recorded... 

• 3 weeks later...

Does anybody know what the difference between the two Lumos! tracks is from the POA set? Are they simply different takes? Listening to them back to back, I can't aurally tell what the difference is.

2 hours ago, Trope said:

Does anybody know what the difference between the two Lumos! tracks is from the POA set? Are they simply different takes? Listening to them back to back, I can't aurally tell what the difference is.

Just slightly different takes I believe. The film version is more "bouncy," for lack of a better musical term.

There's mix differences too. I think the strings are more prominent in the film version.

There's a certain point with alternates where I start to lose sight of their value if they're just subtly different takes of the same composition.

But of course that's from a listening perspective - it might be that someone more musically inclined can tell the diference and finds it academically interesting. Plus the faction of fans that don't rest until they have basically every take of everything :) 

I usually keep them only either if they are markedly different or interesting, or if they represent album material I like. Or if it concerns a grail release with two not very big alternates, in which case, forget what I just said...

Where did he call it that? I’m not calling you a liar, just curious. One of the more interesting aspects of the first three scores for me was what I always interpreted as scoring Harry’s different reactions to his magical world and not just giving him a thematic calling card. If Mike, who talks to John Williams, feels differently then I certainly would like to read about it

Are we talking about Harry's Wondrous World? I've always taken it to be Harry's theme in that it is a theme for him experiencing the magical world much like I think of Window to the Past as a theme for Harry's loneliness as much as a theme for the memory of his parents.

I'd venture to suggest that's what happens almost all the time. One can compose themes for specific characters or sentiments but if something just works... whatever :) 

I mean, there's no possible way that Hedwig's Theme is a theme for Hedwig. It's just JW's main theme and he thought that sounded a cool name on the album.

29 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'd venture to suggest that's what happens almost all the time. One can compose themes for specific characters or sentiments but if something just works... whatever :) 

I mean, there's no possible way that Hedwig's Theme is a theme for Hedwig. It's just JW's main theme and he thought that sounded a cool name on the album.

Well, he originally wrote a much shorter "Hedwig's Theme" for the trailer, based purely on his mental imagery from the books—hadn't seen any film footage. He thought it evoked the snowy owl's flight and titled it accordingly. But it so effectively captured the broader magic and mystery of Harry's entry into the wizarding world that it ended up becoming the score's main theme.

16 minutes ago, Datameister said:

Well, he originally wrote a much shorter "Hedwig's Theme" for the trailer, based purely on his mental imagery from the books—hadn't seen any film footage. He thought it evoked the snowy owl's flight and titled it accordingly. But it so effectively captured the broader magic and mystery of Harry's entry into the wizarding world that it ended up becoming the score's main theme.

Fansplaining :lol: