Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion

Jay

20 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Also cool! I didn't see that. Must've missed it. I'll look for it and take a listen! :D

On 12/13/2018 at 9:41 AM, Holko said:

WARNING DISCLAIMER: I beg you, whoever reads this, not to listen to these if you have the set or will receive it within a week! Bookmark it or something if you may be interested, but please  just spend time with the album presentations first and get to know them, these are just fun diversions and additions that can come later.

Here's the post where I shared most of the tracked cues from HP1 and 2 recreated, some of them synced to picture to show the cue off better, click on the arrow in its top right to go there. One can PM for all the original complete flac files.

On 12/13/2018 at 9:41 AM, Holko said:

Well, we've come to this - new, high quality remastered sources. I do not plan on revisiting and updating this analysis, but Appendix B sure was helpful!

So, there you go, with generous resource donations from @LockdownI recreated the tracked cues in Chamber of Secrets and also the ones in Philosopher's Stone for good measure.

3 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

So what's different about Harry's Wonderful World (extended)?

On 11/26/2018 at 5:29 PM, Jay said:

In fact, the HPCOS OST debuted the missing seconds of Harry's Wondrous World that were microedited out of the original HPSS OST (hence the "Extended Version" moniker on the new set)

On 11/26/2018 at 5:34 PM, Jay said:

The cut bars are right around the 2:00 mark.  Compare the HPSS OST HWW track to the HPCOS OST HWW track (or the HP1 session leak track) and you can't miss it

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Great question.  AFAIK it's just all one take but I never specifically asked about it

That would be my guess. It's a funny little thing to hear on the end of it, but kind of cool at the same time. 

I want to try to make a shorter cue for Saving Buckbeak alternate ending

Seems a waste to have to listen to the whole 10 minutes to get to it .Is there anything else different about it?

8 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I want to try to make a shorter cue for Saving Buckbeak alternate ending

Seems a waste to have to listen to the whole 10 minutes to get to it .Is there anything else different about it?

Are you referring to the different bat ending?

1 minute ago, King Mark said:

yes

Maybe you could start it some time just after 2:56 (I'm referring to 2:56 in the track titled "Saving Buckbeak (Alternate Segment)"). Seems like a decent place to divide it You'd have to fade it up depending on where you started it. Or maybe around the 3:00 mark with the chimes flourish?

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

The 10 minute track in the main program contains 3 cues - 6M7 Reviewing The Recent Past (which had been released on the OST as its own track called "Forward To Time Past"), then 7M1 Viewing The Recent Past (previously unreleased, and nowhere else in the set), and then 7M1A Saving Buckbeak with the New Bats ending, which is the ending heard in the film, and, IMO, the much better ending, that is certainly the one you'd want in the main program.

Was "Reviewing the Recent Past" presented in complete form on the OST? If I'm not mistaken, the Buckbeak's Flight-statement at the end was omitted.

18 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Was "Reviewing the Recent Past" presented in complete form on the OST? If I'm not mistaken, the Buckbeak's Flight-statement at the end was omitted.

Yep. It was indeed omitted on the OST.

4 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Is the PoA trailer the CoS recording of Reunion of Friends or a new one?

I’d imagine it’s CoS, but I haven’t gotten to comparing them yet.

I believe it is a new recording. I compared the two before, and they both sound the same to the untrained ear. It’s the same orchestration, though.

Working on my edit just now. Holy DAMN "The Portrait Gallery" is butchered in the film. HARD. Like wow.

EDIT: The Portrait Gallery / Big Doors / Great Ceiling. It's all chopped to bits. Wow. There's tracking, major speed changing, cuts, and loops all in this one little section. It's got everything!

27 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

I believe it is a new recording. I compared the two before, and they both sound the same to the untrained ear. It’s the same orchestration, though.

Should be easy enough to just overlay both versions and see if the tracks phase.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Should be easy enough to just overlay both versions and see if the tracks phase.

Alright. Never ask a music editor this kind of stuff XD @crumbs and @King Mark Ask and ye shall receive

EDITED FOR CONCISENESS:

I lined them up basically perfectly and I wasn't getting any phasing.

Upon further inspection though. I'd say it's the same recording. However, it is a different mix.

The waveform ended up being suspiciously different. As in, the channels on the HP3 "Trailer" track seemed perfectly inverted and the left and right channels were swapped. Once I reversed all that, the waves matched much closer, but there are certain areas where certain instruments are louder. So, I'd wager it's the same recording, but a new mix for the trailer. 

In fact, getting them perfectly in sync reveals where the new mix changes were made. Phasing in certain areas and not in others. See audio below

Here's a visual representation of the two:

jwfan trailer comp.jpg

As you can see. There are areas (once HP3 Trailer is restored to resemble the correct stereo configuration) where the waveforms are identical. However, there are areas where the mix has clearly changed and then of course at the end the Trailer cue was edited for time.

Audibly, you can really hear it. Note how at 0:10 You can hear a sharp cut in the phasing, then we are in the new mix, however around 0:33 it switches back to the original mix.

And finally, for good measure. Here are the stereo Spectral Frequency Displays for each overlayed on top of each other. I inverted the colors of the HP3 Trailer track and lowered the opacity by 50%. This way, anything that is basically identical will be cancelled out. As we see, most of the track is "cancelled out". The only distinctions are the gong / cymbal overlay near the beginning and the ending that is off due to the edit:

jwfan_trailer_comp_spectral_v2.jpg

SO. In conclusion, HP3's "Trailer" is just a remixed version of "Reunion of Friends" from HP2. It is not a new recording.

8 hours ago, Arpy said:

Just noticed some small glitches in The Rescue of Sirius. They're hidden quite well, but once I heard them I can't unhear them now! 😢

Where?

Around the middle of the Buckbeak's Flight statement. They're barely noticeable but I picked them out because I'm paranoid crazy guy.

@ around 0:52

18 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Around the middle of the Buckbeak's Flight statement. They're barely noticeable but I picked them out because I'm paranoid crazy guy.

Have you compared with another person's release? It could be your disc.

Otherwise, maybe raise it with Jay or Mike and they can check if it's a problem with the source material. I'm a bit scared to identify it myself, in case I can't unhear it (a bit like the artificial stretching in Rey's Journey).

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

Just naughtily checked that track (I'm not up to Azkaban yet) and not hearing anything wrong with it in my copy. It sounds like it might be transitioning into a different take at around 0:54 though.

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

I hear a wooden percusion instrument make a note, i think . Claves maybe?

9 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I hear a wooden percusion instrument make a note, i think . Claves maybe?

Hopefully that's it, because it happens again a second or two later.

I'll try ripping it again to see if it's anything.

If anyone can share with me their cue I'd much appreciate it!

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Just finished COS! Wowzers, the last half hour is incredible. Unfortunately I found the first half of the score a little meandering. Every time you think the new material is headed in a really interesting direction, it breaks into a left-hand turn diverting to note-for-note PS reprisals. Such a missed opportunity, especially with those amazing new themes (mostly underutilized). An entire score filled with the Fawkes, Chamber and Dobby themes would have been phenomenal.

Still, lovingly assembled and lots of fun. Perhaps listening to it the day after PS tainted my impressions a little, because the craft on display is still top-tier Williams. There's a solid 90 or so minutes of excellent original material in the score (a hell of a lot more than most people thought he wrote for the film) and probably 30-45 minutes of quotations or re-arranged cues.

Azkaban next, probably on the weekend. I've saved the best for last so I can really crank up the volume on my sub without disturbing the neighbours!

I do agree that the new themes should've been utilized more, but as is the case with Home Alone 2, I feel like even the material basically lifted note for note from PS just sounds fresh somehow in COS. I was shocked by how much I was okay with all of it. But I agree again, the third act of this score is just outstanding!

Looking forward to your thoughts on Azkaban! Crank it up!

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Just finished COS! Wowzers, the last half hour is incredible. Unfortunately I found the first half of the score a little meandering. Every time you think the new material is headed in a really interesting direction, it breaks into a left-hand turn diverting to note-for-note PS reprisals. Such a missed opportunity, especially with those amazing new themes (mostly underutilized). An entire score filled with the Fawkes, Chamber and Dobby themes would have been phenomenal.

Still, lovingly assembled and lots of fun. Perhaps listening to it the day after PS tainted my impressions a little, because the craft on display is still top-tier Williams. There's a solid 90 or so minutes of excellent original material in the score (a hell of a lot more than most people thought he wrote for the film) and probably 30-45 minutes of quotations or re-arranged cues.

Azkaban next, probably on the weekend. I've saved the best for last so I can really crank up the volume on my sub without disturbing the neighbours!

Agreed, crumbs! Can't wait to hear your thoughts about Azkaban! Enjoy it :D

19 minutes ago, Arpy said:

giphy_(1).gif

Lol. Hey man I'm just trying to use my tools to prove things and explain what I'm doing. XD

I know many find it tedious though so I do apologize. I'd make a pitiful professor.