Jump to content

Harry Potter 7CD Collection - MUSIC discussion


Jay
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

 

I’d say the same, but wow I never noticed how much of a treat “Time Past / Saving Buckbeak” is

 

I did, it was probably my number one holy grail from this movie, along with Trouble Takes on Many Forms.

 

Yeah, this track is awesome. Thrilling and hysterical, in a good way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

 

I did, it was probably my number one holy grail from this movie, along with Trouble Takes on Many Forms.

 

Yeah, this track is awesome. Thrilling and hysterical, in a good way.

 

Was there anything you didn’t realize was awesome and sort of discovered it again on the set?

 

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

 

 

You know that all except the middle ~3 minutes was on the OST the whole time, right?

 

Yeah, but still. Well the bat ending is new too to be fair. :P That middle three minutes is awesome. It makes the whole track and connects the two disjointed cues on the OST. It all flows together and works insanely well as this massive track.

 

So I guess I never realized how awesome Viewing The Recent Past is. XD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Yeah, but still. Well the bat ending is new too to be fair. :P 

 

Yea, I remembered that right after I posted

 

2 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

That middle three minutes is awesome. It makes the whole track and connects the two disjointed cues on the OST. It all flows together and works insanely well as this massive track.

 

I agree 100%!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Jay said:

You know that all except the middle ~3 minutes was on the OST the whole time, right?

 

Well, duh. Of course I knew. 

 

I probably told half a dozen times on this board (even before this set was announced) how much I wanted the whole thing. That passage in between where Hermione throws the stones through the window and where she goes, "Is that what my hair looks from behind"? 

 

Not sure whether this particular section became such a holy grail for me because it was missing from the OST album, but somehow it always struck me as the most exciting and well-written part... Also, I always liked how this section transitions into the beginning of the second part of the OST track "Saving Buckbeak," as Harry starts climbing up the hill and approaches Buckbeak. It's like JW is changing gear, like he's saying, "Now it gets serious. Concentration!" It's so good, it gives you goosebumps. JW in top form! 

__________

The music is mixed so low in the movie, one can barely hear it. I really think it should have been a bit louder.... My favorite passage from this entire scene: appr. 1:00 - 2:30. 

 

 

12 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Was there anything you didn’t realize was awesome and sort of discovered it again on the set?

 

Well, obviously, a few things came as a surprise. Like "The Firebolt and End Credits Suite"... I had no idea what JW's original intention was. Now that I've listened to this, I feel like I can never go back to "Mischief Managed"! :D

 

Also, "Confrontation in the Shrieking Shack." I didn't realise before how much this piece was edited (or butchered). Nice to see JW's original intention here again. 

 

But nothing that was heard in the movie is a new discovery for me on this set. I always knew how good the music was. It's just great beyond words to have it on an official release, in perfect sound quality! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In theory it wouldn't take too long to find in a library. There can only be so many ways of searching for a solo tambourine.

 

I'm assuming it's library because if JW didn't record it then it has to come from somewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

In theory it wouldn't take too long to find in a library. There can only be so many ways of searching for a solo tambourine.

 

I'm assuming it's library because if JW didn't record it then it has to come from somewhere.

 

Especially if you know that the other two stock tracks are straight from the APM website. So theoretically it's somewhere on there. I believe it's not just a tambourine though. Isn't there at least one other piece of percussion?

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Isn't that available clean in the Art of the Score podcast?

 

Nope. It's the Album Version.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TSMefford said:

 

Especially if you know that the other two stock tracks are straight from the APM website. So theoretically it's somewhere on there. I believe it's not just a tambourine though. Isn't there at least one other piece of percussion?

 

I know one of them is Lupin's departing music; what's the other one? (Boggart music?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

The boggart music is Hot Licorice by Dick Walters

 

The APM recording at least, yes.

 

The other record player music I’ve ID’d but I don’t recall off the top of my head away from my playlist

 

EDIT: The title is Jungle Jazz Room

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

 

The APM recording at least, yes.

 

The other record player music I’ve ID’d but I don’t recall off the top of my head away from my playlist

 

 

Well.....

 

On 12/8/2018 at 6:36 PM, TSMefford said:

By the way. I did recently rediscover the Source Cue from Lupin's Record Player at the end of the movie, when Lupin is packing.

 

Just go here, and check out Track 7: https://www.apmmusic.com/albums/BR-0191

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Jedi767 said:

What are some of your guys favorite new tracks?

 

There's some discussion of that specifically here

 

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29122-which-are-your-top-10-previously-unreleased-tracks-on-the-new-harry-potter-collection-set/

 

 

Really I've listened to The Rescue of Sirius, Time Past/Saving Buckbeak, Teaser (HP1), Trailer (HP1), Teaser (HP3), Walk in the Woods, Reading The Map, the COS television commercials, and all the cues from COS with the Chamber theme more than anything else most likely

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

 

Thanks for the heads up, I'll jump into that thread!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regarding Sir Cadogan, keep in mind that Williams intended for the shawms and sackbut to be accompanied by the tambourine and drum. The percussion-only intro heard in the film wasn't part of how Williams wrote the cue; my assumption has been that it was either a decision made from the podium or an editorial creation that arose from recording the percussion separately. But the tambourine and drum were part of how Williams envisioned the cue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Datameister said:

Regarding Sir Cadogan, keep in mind that Williams intended for the shawms and sackbut to be accompanied by the tambourine and drum. The percussion-only intro heard in the film wasn't part of how Williams wrote the cue; my assumption has been that it was either a decision made from the podium or an editorial creation that arose from recording the percussion separately. But the tambourine and drum were part of how Williams envisioned the cue.

 

Oh really? I’ve suspected it could actually have been pulled from a music stem and that it still could be Williams. 

 

EDIT: Huh. Look at that. I checked the sheets and you are indeed correct. Weeeeird. So my assumption is that they did indeed record a version with Percussion and only the intro was pulled and constructed from the percussion elements. That does beg the question why the version with percussion was never put out?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone else have a weird audio glitch at 9:28 in Time Past / Saving Buckbeak? It sounds like a short fragment of music is actually looped right before the edit into the Bats revision.

 

Fortunately I was able to resolve it with a small microedit. Just wondering if it's a glitch on my copy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Does anyone else have a weird audio glitch at 9:28 in Time Past / Saving Buckbeak? It sounds like a short fragment of music is actually looped right before the edit into the Bats revision.

Sounds like it's an editing mistake!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

So how can you tell whether that's an editing mistake or how the orchestra played it, by mistake or not? 

 

I certainly don't notice any glitch here.

Because that loop doesn't appear in the alternate version of Saving Buckbeak, nor on the OST.

 

And the glitch is definitely here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Does anyone else have a weird audio glitch at 9:28 in Time Past / Saving Buckbeak? It sounds like a short fragment of music is actually looped right before the edit into the Bats revision.

 

Fortunately I was able to resolve it with a small microedit. Just wondering if it's a glitch on my copy.

I already mentioned that. It's the one and only flaw of the set.

7 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Because that loop doesn't appear in the alternate version of Saving Buckbeak, nor on the OST.

Although, in the alternate, the part leading into the bat sequence is faded at the end, so there could be the same glitch inherent in the source.

 

I wonder, whether both bat parts where recorded seperately or whether the original version was recorded along with the previous music.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I wonder, whether both bat parts where recorded seperately or whether the original version was recorded along with the previous music.

Good question!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder why there are two bat versions to begin with.

 

Was Alfonso not satisfied with the first version and asked Williams to write a different version? Or were there always two versions and Williams asked the director which one he prefers?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I wonder why there are two bat versions to begin with.

 

Was Alfonso not satisfied with the first version and asked Williams to write a different version? Or were there always two versions and Williams asked the director which one he prefers?

 

I think the sheet music lists it as a revision so I'd guess the former.

 

Comparitivitely Train to Hogwarts is listed as V1 and V2, so Williams seemingly always intended two versions for Cuaron to choose from. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure which version I prefer myself.

 

But the film version does sound a bit jarring, it somehow doesn't fit with the rest of the piece. It takes you out of the moment, almost. But maybe that was the intention....

 

2:13

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That little segment before the bats in Saving Buckbeak beginning @9:05 draws another connection to Revenge of the Sith - the segment of music following the death of Dooku as Palpatine says 'Leave him or we'll never making it!'. Here @2:33 

 

 

I love it, it was on the PoA OST yes, but that style of writing is so delicious! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jay said:

If you look at the sheet music, there are THREE versions of bat music! 

 

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's also 3 versions of the Firebolt (A New Broomstick)!  It's crazy how many rewrites this score got

I wish I could read sheet music, I never knew this!! There’s no certain way of knowing what was recorded and what wasn’t, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Once said:

There’s no certain way of knowing what was recorded and what wasn’t, though.

Isn't it that whatever is NOT on the CD release is also not recorded?

So that we don't need to feel bad about anything missing because there isn't anything missing?

 

Or am I being too simple with that...?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Once said:

I wish I could read sheet music, I never knew this!! There’s no certain way of knowing what was recorded and what wasn’t, though.

 

 

Well, Docteur Qui posted his mockup of the early Firebolt cue from the sheet music not too long ago.  Here:

 

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28981-harry-potter-1-3-complete-score-releases-confirmed/&do=findComment&comment=1552824

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Executioner from PoA is such a cool little cue. Love the low harp, drums and contrabassoon. John Williams puts such interesting and subtle detail into even the smallest cue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Faleel J.M. said:

Is it my imagination or does it kinda reference the funeral March?

yeah I think it totally does, in that low harp part

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was there already discussion what "Trouble takes many forms" contains? 

 

1 minute ago, Faleel J.M. said:

Is it my imagination or does it kinda reference the funeral March?

 

It does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t think the Time Past/Saving Buckbeak thing is a glitch. The tempo slows down right before the bat closing, and it would connect the two parts perfectly, if it wasn’t for the clock ticking that ends abruptly without slowing down. That’s why the edit before the bat cue seems sloppy, I think.

 

By the way, I finally went to see PoA live to projection today: it was a great experience! I even made a couple of videos of a certain shawm cue and tambourine thingy 😉 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

Was there already discussion what "Trouble takes many forms" contains? 

 

I believe so, but no matter - it's Dumbledore's Warning and Double Trouble March (two different takes of it, I believe), bookended by the two versions of The Train to Hogwarts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.