Under The Silver Lake

Henry Sítrónu

saw it yesterday, was absolutely amazed about the movie! but what's really interesting: first movie I've seen where the end credits list all the musicians from the studio orchestra! I always wondered why they are not shown. Is it a (new) union thing or just a really decent nod?

I’ve listened to samples of Disasterpeace’s score and was very intrigued.  Definitely will be checking it out.  With his background I expected washes of synths and it actually seems to be more of a chamber orchestra sound.  Pretty cool.

Looking forward to seeing this. Loved IT FOLLOWS, both the film and Rich Vreeland/Disasterpeace's score. But this appears to be something totally different.

4 hours ago, lemoncurd said:

saw it yesterday, was absolutely amazed about the movie! but what's really interesting: first movie I've seen where the end credits list all the musicians from the studio orchestra! I always wondered why they are not shown. Is it a (new) union thing or just a really decent nod?

This is not a union rule.  There are many simple reasons why this doesn't happen more often.   Music is one of many separate teams in the production of a film and each team submits what they hope will be included in the credits.  The list of what is contractually obligated is quite limited so they make a best effort to be inclusive but will certainly leave off team members because they are lower on the contractual totem pole.  This is especially true in big blockbusters where post production might last quite a while and involve many teams (think LA special effects house, San Francisco effects house for other components, maybe a specialty house for some scenes, each with hundreds of animators, programmers, directors, project managers, supervisors, lawyers, etc.  Your end credits would be extremely long which costs everyone more money so very hard to justify to the bean counters!  Unless you are JW or some other A lister for whom a performer would cancel other gigs to work for you, you might not get your first choice of orchestral players for every session so the number of players would be humongous if you listed everyone who played sometime in the score.  Like if you used a string compliment 50 players like 16, 14, 12, 10, 8 (standard large orchestral breakdown) and you recorded over two weeks, the number of people who played in those ranks might be more like 37, 23, 18, 17, 15 or something.  So who is in the roster and who isn't?  Finally, credits is usually happening at the same time the score is recorded but you had to have submitted your credit sheet to the editors before that so unless you record in advance or maybe use a stock orchestra (the LSO for example where they have a roster of musicians), it's impractical to get all these people in the film.  What is much more likely is to have a featured soloist credited.

As to why this film would credit the orchestral players, the most likely reason is probably the director and composer are personal friends and have mutual respect for each other's contribution.