Score from ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ Disqualified from Oscar Race

BrendanT1993

5 hours ago, Josh500 said:

But if I blame anybody at all, it would be William Ross! 

Music composed by John Powell

Han Solo Theme and Original Star Wars Music composed by John Williams

Promotional album sabotaged and denied by William Ross

Is disqualified the right word to use?  Using that word makes it sound like the score itself was the issue when it's simply because Disney missed the deadline for submission.  Disney obviously wants to sweep Solo under the rug.  I think it may have seen better luck opening in December even with Poppins returning.

1 hour ago, Balahkay said:

Is disqualified the right word to use?  Using that word makes it sound like the score itself was the issue when it's simply because Disney missed the deadline for submission.  Disney obviously wants to sweep Solo under the rug.  

Disney itself likely disqualified the score when the movie failed to crack the billion dollar threshold... let alone the 500 mill. threshold. 

6 hours ago, John said:

This. I'd be absolutely livid if I were Powell.

It does show an immense lack of courtesy. And you know what, I think he could have made the shortlist. Remember this year they are going to do a shortlist of 15 first. He's respected by his peers. Even a short list mention would have been great.

But honestly, the score would either have been disqualified had they submitted in time or Williams wouldn't have recieved credit anyways.

Good .

Would you really want this thing to  win over a proper JW Strar Wars score?

It would be the ultimate insult of the academy to JW , since he was nominated and lost  for TFA and TLJ

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

Good .

It would be the ultimate insult of the academy to JW , since he was nominated and lost  for TFA and TLJ

I think JW has earned his place in history without the need to worry about a spin-off score being nominated or winning!

2 hours ago, King Mark said:

Good .

Agreed!

Also, like I said, the Oscar has lost a lot of significance and respect over the years. Hardly anybody cares anymore, except those working directly in the industry themselves. 

I'd say it was relevant until the end of the last century, then it steadily got unimportant. I know I lost all respect for the Academy when John Williams failed to win like 20 times in a row after Schindler's List, the main reason being his name wasn't exotic enough! 

A lot of statements about that the Oscar has lost its relevancy, and I am sure it’s true. The Oscars know it themselves and are trying to reinvent themselves by launching new categories (“most popular movie” - that eventually didn’t happen).

That being said, it’s still the most prestigious movie award out there.

Regarding the late entry - most people assume that this is a deliberate move on Disney’s part. Who knows? Mistakes are made all the time, even by huge corporations.

They lost all relevance to me when Williams lost for Memoirs of a Geisha against 30 minutes of guitar solos (that shouldn't have qualified for a nomination in the first place). 

Life of Pi was a very worthy, memorable winner in 2013 against Lincoln though. I believe even Williams was a fan of Danna's work that year.

But Williams has generally been snubbed ever since Schindler's List because he's unfairly compared against his own body of work, rather than the body of work by all composers nominated that year. 

17 minutes ago, crumbs said:

They lost all relevance to me when Williams lost for Memoirs of a Geisha against 30 minutes of guitar solos (that shouldn't have qualified for a nomination in the first place). 

Life of Pi was a very worthy, memorable winner in 2013 against Lincoln though. I believe even Williams was a fan of Danna's work that year.

But Williams has generally been snubbed ever since Schindler's List because he's unfairly compared against his own body of work, rather than the body of work by all composers nominated that year. 

I think the loss for Lincoln was justified. Because while it is absolutely outstanding music - not much of it is in the film! The best score oscar is meant to reward how the score sounds in the film.

Memoirs was his best chance at winning. Followed by Star Wars 7. He would have won but for the terrible and needless Morricone gimmick thing.

Actually Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban should have won! Just to acknowledge John Williams work for the Harry Potter series, if nothing else.

When he didn't win, I pretty much lost all interest in the Oscars after that! 

(At the same time, how many Oscars did Howard Shore get for the LOTR trilogy? Three?)

Yeah it's funny how every year he actually stands a chance of winning again, some gimmicky reason comes along to stop it from happening (Brokeback Mountain getting an apology Oscar because they snubbed it from getting Best Picture, Morricone a few years ago getting his first Oscar because he'd been ignored countless times in the past, etc.)

Just now, mrbellamy said:

EDWBzXe.gif

Yes it does! They snubbed it for Best Picture but awarded a bunch of sympathy wins like writing and score.

Combine that with Williams cancelling himself out with that bloody double nomination and he got Bradbury'd.

30 minutes ago, crumbs said:

They snubbed it for Best Picture but awarded a bunch of sympathy wins like writing and score.

They couldn't have known it wasn't gonna win BP! You're retconning the Oscars!

Santaolalla won for "Jack, I swear" which is an effective moment tbh. Tune's kinda catchy. Memoirs is obviously the more sophisticated musical achievement but alas.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Combine that with Williams cancelling himself out with that bloody double nomination and he got Bradbury'd.

Love that expression. I wonder how many non-Australians are wondering what getting Bradbury'd means :D 

I don’t think Solo would have been elligible even if it had been submitted on time.

E. A score shall not be eligible if:
1. it has been diluted by the use of pre-existing music, or
2. it has been diminished in impact by the predominant use of songs or any music not composed specifically for the film by the submitting composer, or
3. it has been assembled from the music of more than one composer.

F. No more than one statuette will normally be given in the Original Score category. A second statuette may be awarded when two credited composers function as equal collaborators, each contributing fully to the original dramatic underscore for the film.

You can try to weasel your way around some of those disqualifying criteria, but with Powell clearly being the sole “submitting composer”, I think there’s too much Williams in it for him to be elligible.

How did criterion #1 not disqualify TLJ, by the way?  That's the only Star Wars score where I would say there's a legitimate chance the new melodies are outweighed by the reused ones.

This made me super mad since Solo may be my favorite all-time score. And, anyway, with all the amazing scores that Powell has done, he really deserves an Oscar.

I guess since Ennio Morricone had to wait decades for his Oscar, Powell will just have to do the same.

19 hours ago, aviazn said:

I don’t think Solo would have been elligible even if it had been submitted on time.

You can try to weasel your way around some of those disqualifying criteria, but with Powell clearly being the sole “submitting composer”, I think there’s too much Williams in it for him to be elligible.

There's not actually very much pre-existing material at all aside from "Reminiscence Therapy". It's almost completely made up of new material.

6 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

There's not actually very much pre-existing material at all aside from "Reminiscence Therapy". It's almost completely made up of new material.

But I guess the main issue could be the Han Solo Theme. It's all around the score and is not Powell's material... I think is quite complicate to judge the importance of Powell's compositions without a prominent theme as Williams' material.