Score from ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ Disqualified from Oscar Race

BrendanT1993

There are times I've felt the academy got it extraordinarily wrong, or going on a popular vote, and still sometimes I think they do get it right.

I think if you allow these awards ceremonies to lead an opinion of what makes a good score, you'll be sorely disappointed. 

Like in 2010 when How To Train Your Dragon and Inception lost out to The Social Network...

I'm not one of the celebrity/Hollyweird obsessed, so the Oscars mean nothing to me. The whole thing is pretentious as all hell. Even the one where Titanic took most of the awards had us cringing when James Cameron got on stage. There are people here still bitter that Brokeback Mountain won? Move the fuck on.

James Cameron surely deserved his moment on stage, but that type of stuff is not what's bothering me (and many other people).

It's that politics (and political correctness) have invaded the Oscars in a big way. Celebrities and movie moguls acting like they're something better than "ordinary folks" and trying to teach them lessons about life.... Ah, the arrogance of "power" and money.

Something could be said for the way many celebrities seem to wear their politics on their sleeves, but isn't that their right? 

Actors, filmmakers, musicians etc. aren't just those titles, they're humans who share a responsibility. 

Hello trump is an actor too.  Its laughable the idea that any legal profession should limit one's right to hold high office. Even scum of the earth lawyers.lawyers.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

Something could be said for the way many celebrities seem to wear their politics on their sleeves, but isn't that their right? 

Actors, filmmakers, musicians etc. aren't just those titles, they're humans who share a responsibility. 

Who says they can't? Of course they can. But there's a time and place for everything. They can do that on their own free time.

But not as nominees or presenters at the Oscars! 

The way I see it @Josh500 it's up to the academy to decide what they think is appropriate for their nominees to speak towards. I don't think you can separate the private from the political life, especially as artists, filmmakers etc. whose voice has been defined by the stories they tell and use their position to push and peddle whatever bullshit they want. 

The point is, whether the celebrities etc. should be more responsible for what they choose to share, or should we, the audience, the viewers be more cautious to whom we listen to?

I get where you're coming from, the Oscars should be strictly apolitical and just about films, but today you're going to encounter politics in almost everything you do because it affects so much.

Honestly, I can't remember a time when the Oscars were anything but an extraordinarily greasy self-congratulatory, vainglorious photo-op.

Just get a comedian to host, some celebrity-filled pop-cultural sketch and you're set for another long long night.

19 minutes ago, Arpy said:

The way I see it @Josh500 it's up to the academy to decide what they think is appropriate for their nominees to speak towards. I don't think you can separate the private from the political life, especially as artists, filmmakers etc. whose voice has been defined by the stories they tell and use their position to push and peddle whatever bullshit they want. 

Well, my opinion is, events such as these should be strictly apolitical, and all of Hollywood at that. Obviously, that's not the case, since Hollywood is as obnoxiously liberal as it can get, but one can always hope.... And it's just that recently, it's gotten a lot worse.

Actors on stage sharing their liberal political views... I put that on the same level as me walking into a McDonald's and the employee there starting to tell me his or her political views and trying to teach me about politics. You could as well say, they have a responsibility too! Where does it end? Like I said, there's a time and place for it. I wouldn't put up with either, and obviously many people don't either, seeing how the Oscars have lost massive viewers, respect, and relevance in the past few decades.

Do you think Williams would receive a nomination for this had it not been disqualified? How does it work when there's more than one composer? I don't think Lisa Gerrard was nominated for Gladiator?

Karol

I remember when I was a kid and in my teens, the Oscars was a major event. It was a big deal! Because of the time difference, the live transmission always started at like 2 in the morning in Europe, but I always stayed awake and watched the whole thing, on the edge of my seat.... And on most of those might, JW was nominated! Ah, those were different times! 

These days, I'm like meh! I just don't care anymore.

4 hours ago, King Mark said:

Pretty soon the Oscars will have only 3 people in the audience and 1 person nominated , because everyone else will have been  disqualified or have their membership revoked for saying something 10 years ago that was politically incorrect or offended some minority

Pretty soon the Oscars itself will be banned because this might be offensive to all the losers that didn't win... 😂 

I'm waiting for the Oscars where all the actors turn on eachother, publically naming and shaming them and the police arrive and make some arrests and after some standing ovation for their public service, they go back into another routine like nothing changed.

On 12/11/2018 at 12:14 AM, Josh500 said:

(At the same time, how many Oscars did Howard Shore get for the LOTR trilogy? Three?)

Two, there was some controversy and confusion and The Two Tower’s score ended up not being nominated. 

5 minutes ago, kelliwisethebrave said:

Two, there was some controversy and confusion and The Two Tower’s score ended up not being nominated. 

I meant he got two Oscars for RotK, for original score and song!