John Williams - La-La Land Records: 2019

JohnnyD

5 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I have been listening to John Williams music since the early 60's, both the good and the bad. Rots is a terrible score to a terrible movie. Its only good when it quotes Star Wars. I still can't decide which is worse Aotc or Rots. Either one is a loser. Such bad filmmaking. 

What?! It's my second favourite SW score after TFA.

7 hours ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

Really? I've never met somebody who actually hates the Prequel scores. Most people I've seen agree that the films suck but the soundtracks are gold. May I ask why you think so? I'm genuinely curious what you don't like.

'Hate' is a strong word but I don't care at all for AotC and have only a slight nostalgic attachment to the OST for TPM. (My Mum bought it for me in my soundtrack infancy)

I would buy an expansion of RotS though. It's the only PT film I've seen in full and actually enjoyed and hence there are shitloads of highlights missing. That is one bad OST.

With SW and Indy off the table for the speciality labels, I guess we're out of major franchises now, and it comes down to the rest of his Spielberg collaborations. Off the rop of my head I can't think of any SS scores that I absolutely need outside of the OSTs.

In a non-JW moment, I'd like to see something happening with JNH's M. Night scores. Signs and The Village particularly.

The complete Phantom Menace is like Philosopher's Stone: Absolute magic and highlights all the way through, but lacking the (perhaps overly) strong throughline like Hedwig's Theme, more focusing on one-off motifs and setpieces. It's the only one of the Prequels I really want.

9 hours ago, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

Really? I've never met somebody who actually hates the Prequel scores. Most people I've seen agree that the films suck but the soundtracks are gold. May I ask why you think so? I'm genuinely curious what you don't like.

I have not criticized the Phantom Menace which I find a more successful film that either of its two bad followups. I have no problems with the Phantom  Menace score though I have always felt that they should have had a different main title. That title really belongs to Luke & Co.

The prequels are just filled with bad choices as films and joyless uninspired music by John. Don't get me wrong John on auto pilot is still generally better than the swill produced by Giacchino and Zimmer but its still low rent for John. I am the odd ball here I know but to me Beneath the Stars is weak, and Battle of the Heroes is a joke. I can imagine John rolling his eyes all through those two sluggish films. George really need a "NO" man during that period. Thankfully John found new inspiration and gave us Rey's Theme. It certainly helps remove the bad taste leftover for the dark times.

The prequels are different but great in their own way. I think expanded scores will be revelatory, as with the Potter scores (even though a lot of unreleased prequel music has been mined from video games over the years).

15 hours ago, King Mark said:

i disagree completely about the Prequel scores

You always have.

14 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Me too. A different approach (means different classical role models) often equals "not as good as the old stuff".

Still, Battle of the Heroes is a joke. (I'm exaggerating.)

The title of it is. A child murderer isn't a hero.

AND setting aside the music from the films, the films are trainwrecks. They are just a series of bad decisions poor sfxs some horrible acting and terrible storytelling. 

I like Battle of the Heroes musically, but I don't think it fits the film particularly well, in the sense that it is very dramatic, but the majority of the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel (the nonspeaking parts) is sterile and emotionless, pure choreography, and it seems to be striving for the Duel of the Fates tone that Lucas seemed to have wanted, but not quite hitting the "epicness"

10 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I like Battle of the Heroes musically, but I don't think it fits the film particularly well, in the sense that it is very dramatic, but the majority of the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel (the nonspeaking parts) is sterile and emotionless, pure choreography, and it seems to be striving for the Duel of the Fates tone that Lucas seemed to have wanted, but not quite hitting the "epicness"

Turn that around. I think it is musically very boring, but at least it adds epicness and drama to the sterile and awkward scenes. Williams tries goldsmithing* the prequels.

*to goldsmith = to improve something considerably by the means of music

Didn't help.

When in doubt put on Twilight Zone Overture and Princess Leia's theme and the world becomes right.