The Academy has announced the shortlist of 15 scores for best score

Lewya

10 hours ago, p0llux said:

Sadly, motivic scoring is transitioning into a lost art form in Hollywood blockbusters. Symphonic scoring is slowly on it's way out as well in blockbusters.

True.

That's why I was so surprised by Black Panther.

So it does seem to still exist, at least.

Yeah, but Black Panther accompanied a terrible film, surely one of the worst MCU films.

Giacchino snubbed AGAIN but I seem to remember that he's a member on the music branch of the academy so maybe he can sabotage the nominations!

20 hours ago, Thor said:

He doesn't really have that many projects this year that would qualify. WIDOWS was rather disappointing, and that's about it as far as feature fiction films are concerned.

Zimmer and McQueen don’t really produce good scores together. 12 Years a Slave could have been left unscored and I don’t think it would have made any difference. 

I kinda agree. Not the most interesting partnership so far. Harry Escot's SHAME is far more interesting. Have little memory of David Holmes' HUNGER, even if I absolutely loved the film.

5 hours ago, Arpy said:

Yeah, but Black Panther accompanied a terrible film, surely one of the worst MCU films.

Giacchino snubbed AGAIN but I seem to remember that he's a member on the music branch of the academy so maybe he can sabotage the nominations!

Gia has only vote from among the members of the music branch. Not much he can do.

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

It's ridiculous, how many bad scores get nominations nowadays.

I find the nominations baffling. Like 3 billboard getting nominated for best score. It is just another way to boost the tally of best picture nominees with no attention paid to the actual music.

And the music branch consists of actual composers like Williams and Gia currently working. They all voted for 3 billboard as one of the best scores of the year?

4 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Zimmer and McQueen don’t really produce good scores together. 12 Years a Slave could have been left unscored and I don’t think it would have made any difference. 

I did not even realize 12 years had a score? That movie did not need one. Not all movies do.

37 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Gia has only vote from among the members of the music branch. Not much he can do.

I find the nominations baffling. Like 3 billboard getting nominated for best score. It is just another way to boost the tally of best picture nominees with no attention paid to the actual music.

And the music branch consists of actual composers like Williams and Gia currently working. They all voted for 3 billboard as one of the best scores of the year?

I did not even realize 12 years had a score? That movie did not need one. Not all movies do.

It does. It’s mostly just four notes on a violin repeated over and over again. He even managed to fit a Bwaaaam in there too! 

I wouldn’t be critical of Zimmer there, I just don’t think a score was needed and I get the sense they both knew that too.

7 hours ago, Arpy said:

Well, it's an unpopular take to be sure, but bless your heart and its boldness!  What didn't you like about it?

@Lewya, don't you mean "long list"?

Hey, is your first name Ali?

On 12/18/2018 at 8:32 PM, Thor said:

SOLO "should have been a contender", to quote ol' Marlon Brando. The film is also one of the very best of the year. A shame Disney and silly fans felt differently.

Powell would have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for that pesky John Williams!

9 hours ago, Arpy said:

Opinions differ there. I really quite liked it, but a bunch of my colleagues who are really into superhero stuff are quite cold to it.

Either way, when we're talking about "Oscar for best original music", in theory at least, the quality of the accompanying movie shouldn't count.

And takes purely as music, I do reckon Black Panther did a pretty good job using good themes,

good cultural variety, good orchestral and modern stuff, as well as good development throughout.

It's not my favourite score from the year (that would be "Solo"), but it's definitely my biggest surprise of the year.

When it comes to the Oscars and best score, I think a lot of times judges look for something that stands out, something that isn't all too conventional per se but  more eclectic. I'd say First Man and Black Panther are very diverse (hehe) and unique score, if you get my meaning.

My two favourite scores of the year, Solo and Fallen Kingdom, are much better to me than some of the other nominations, but they simply aren't that Oscar material stuff.

46 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

When it comes to the Oscars and best score, I think a lot of times judges look for something that stands out, something that isn't all too conventional per se but  more eclectic. I'd say First Man and Black Panther are very diverse (hehe) and unique score, if you get my meaning.

My two favourite scores of the year, Solo and Fallen Kingdom, are much better to me than some of the other nominations, but they simply aren't that Oscar material stuff.

There aren't any judges. Just regular members of the academy that vote. There's about 8000 of them.

23 hours ago, crumbs said:

At least Balfe's godawful Mission Impossible score wasn't nominated. Yuck.

22 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Balfe doesn't produce Oscar material.

Give him a Razzie!

Could someone tell me what is supposed to be wrong with MI:6 score? I for one consider it fitting for the film and pleasant to listen to separately.

Listening to VICE.

It's really good.

It's a mix of retro funk and some more swingy stuff, in addition to some really classical-oriented material. It's been a lot of fun to listen to.

3 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Listening to VICE.

It's really good.

It's a mix of retro funk and some more swingy stuff, in addition to some really classical-oriented material. It's been a lot of fun to listen to.

I think the main theme is actually not bad.

Well...

Listening to Black Panther I'm not really feeling anything too special. Not to echo anyone else too much but the percussion loops are not that good. The vocal textures dropped in and around give a nice, and appropriate, tribal vibe (if you get my meaning). However, this score is Oscar material. As I've mentioned before, I feel that at the end of the day the winner is something that embraces the unconventional and eclectic, such as Desplat's Shape of Water, last year's winner with a theme I thought was quite interesting. And even this year with First Man, the uses of theremin and other intricacies separate it from the rest. So I'd say that Black Panther, First Man, and Vice, which I've found to be delightful, are good bets for the winners, with First Man and Vice being the actual two that I'd listen to again.

Yeah, First Man has a pretty solid chance at winning this year.

It's kind of crazy how much momentum First Man has lost. It felt like a lock in for every category and now it's looking to struggle to get a couple of technical nominations.

4 hours ago, Fabulin said:

Second Oscar for Hurwitz in just 2 years would be kind of crazy

Can hardly be worse than Santaollala winning back to back for idle guitar doodling. Also because he should have been disqualified for his second win.

Hurwitz would probably deserve it more for First Man than La La Land. The main theme from First Man is really fantastic.

On 12/19/2018 at 12:31 AM, TheUlyssesian said:

I did not notice any themes in the movie at all. Did not make an impact at all.

I noticed, like, four when watching the movie without listening to it previously. It's one of the fun scores of the year for me.

On 12/20/2018 at 10:24 AM, Pieter_Boelen said:

True.

That's why I was so surprised by Black Panther.

So it does seem to still exist, at least.

In Ant-Man and the Wasp as well. Out of the Marvel ones, Infinity War is the most boring this year.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Hurwitz would probably deserve it more for First Man than La La Land. The main theme from First Man is really fantastic.

La La Land is a musical. It trumps First Man for it's infectiously delightful songs and splendid jazz.

First Man is not much less, but not all the same.

16 hours ago, John said:

Yeah, First Man has a pretty solid chance at winning this year.

It's a pretty good bet, yes.

6 hours ago, Fabulin said:

Second Oscar for Hurwitz in just 2 years would be kind of crazy

But not neccesarily undeserved. He's one to look out for, and I'm very excited for his future work.

5 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Can hardly be worse than Santaollala winning back to back for idle guitar doodling. Also because he should have been disqualified for his second win.

Don’t forget AR Rahman winning 2 in 1 year!

6 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Those two years were a dark chapter.

I'd have been happy for Rahman to win *some* recognition for 127 Hours. I love that score to bits. Not Slumdog; that was vastly overrated.

45 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Those two years were a dark chapter.

I'd have been happy for Rahman to win *some* recognition for 127 Hours. I love that score to bits. Not Slumdog; that was vastly overrated.

I love Babel, but it didn’t win because of Santaolalla’s music.

Agreed about 127 Hours. On most days it’s my favorite film from 2010. 

11 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Agreed. SLUMDOG is not bad, but 127 HOURS is the superior score. Rahman is on my top 10 of 'alltime favourite composers', so I'd welcome any recognition in the western world, really.

I like the love theme from Slumdog but I don't remember the rest doing anything for me. 127 Hours is a score that means a lot to me - it's set in my favourite place in the world and the film has just the right amount of 'life affirming'-ness.

23 hours ago, Brónach said:

In Ant-Man and the Wasp as well. Out of the Marvel ones, Infinity War is the most boring this year.

Surprisingly, that's a fair point!

Whatever happened to Silvestri?!? I like that guy!

• 2 weeks later...

Hurwitz won the Golden Globe tonight. On his way to Oscar.

I said after listening to the cue The Landing that he is going to win walking away.

It's kinda like Gia and Married Life. Sometimes literally one single unforgettable cue can win you the oscar if it is memorable enough.

As of now, I think it’s basically a toss-up between Hurwitz’s First Man and Goransson‘s Black Panther for the Oscar. After tonight, Hurwitz has a good chance of pulling a Williams and winning two statues in three years. 

11 minutes ago, John said:

As of now, I think it’s basically a toss-up between Hurwitz’s First Man and Goransson‘s Black Panther for the Oscar. After tonight, Hurwitz has a good chance of pulling a Williams and winning two statues in three years. 

3! He won 2 for La La Land. Just in 2 years, Hurwitz would have won 60% of JW's oscar tally!

Maybe. But then they need to over their Chazelle fascination too. Loved WHIPLASH; LLL and FIRST MAN, I didn't really care for (although I loved the sound design of FM).

13 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

You could have almost anyone scoring LLL and First Man and they'd probably win.

Not true. That's why I made the Gia comparison for Hurwitz. Sure - for La La Land you could call it a coattails win. But for First Man, he's winning because people like his music.

First Man the movie is DEAD in the oscar race. It will get some tech noms but it is not going to be up for film, directing, writing, acting awards. That automatically puts it at a disadvantage because the Score Oscar is often bundled in with other oscars that a film wins. Like Desplat for Shape of Water - an decent score that won only because the film won best picture or best director. Or Life of Pi because that film won Best director and a boatload of other oscars. Or Gravity because that film won best director and a boatload of other oscars.

But not First Man. First man would win because they liked the music and not because of the coatttail effect because First Man isn't a strong film in the oscar race.