SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - 3CD Set from La-La Land Records

TownerFan

I just got home from work and saw this...

ORDERED!

Holy crap, the samples really demonstrate how remastered the Maestro's score is! I was never able to get the Film Score Monthly box set. This will be my first exposure to the score outside the film. I cannot wait until I have this!

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I updated my existing Superman spreadsheet, don't hold it against me if I made any mistakes cause I did this quickly and won't be able to fix anything for a while

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SkAOjZN-WOO03rsafaw4nOo2rFALx7E0DVj5-ky7Zmw/edit?usp=sharing

Isn't Main Title March (Alternate) on the Rhino just the intended End Title with without The Prison Yard?

Also going by the times etc. it looks like the cue combos have been tweaked.

Right now listening to the cues. The sound upgrade appears staggering even on mp3. Check out the distinctive clear drum roll on the 'Prelude and Main Title' sounds so clear; just before ostinato figures begin (coming from the right) There is less shrill sound on the brass this time and the sound stage ambience seems to be better preserved and available. The detailing in various orchestral parts is so clear. Another brilliant job by wunderkind Mike 'magic' Matessino! 

Congratulations to very every one on the La La Land Team! You guys have yet another winner of a release here. kudos!

”This first generation element has be en re stored, remixed, assembled and remastered...”

I am glad they remixed the tracks (and had the balls to put it in the press release). There’s a gross misunderstanding regarding remixed, archival releases.

14 hours ago, mstrox said:

Interesting choice for the film versions of the intro/main titles and Can You Read My Mind to be in the alternates.  I've never been able to keep track of all the alternates on Superman. Obviously Can You Read My Mind is the vocal version, since the main program is instrumental.  Wonder what the big difference is between the two main titles, and why the film version was shunted to the bottom of the playlist.

From what I understand, the version of Prelude and Main Title presented in the main programme will be the one with the key change at around 4:14 - as heard in the end credits of the film but intended for the main title. The film version will be an edit of Prelude and the version of the march recorded for the end credits. Am I right?

19 minutes ago, Alan said:

From what I understand, the version of Prelude and Main Title presented in the main programme will be the one with the key change at around 4:14 - as heard in the end credits of the film but intended for the main title. The film version will be an edit of Prelude and the version of the march recorded for the end credits. Am I right?

So this will be the same arrangement as the FSM?

3 minutes ago, dougie said:

So this will be the same arrangement as the FSM?

Yeah I think so. It makes sense. Better to have the version as intended and recorded in the main programme and the edit as a bonus track.

15 hours ago, crocodile said:

This was...unexpected. I thought it was supposed to be next month....

Anyway...ordered!

Karol

Ditto.

Only my 3rd Superman soundtrack release.

24 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I noticed there are two books in the set. What’s that about?

Books are getting more popular again. Dracula had an extra booklet, Harry Potter had an extra booklet, Superman has one...

In the announcement thread at FSM, 1st post, it was the 6 track 35 mm masters. Which I guess are 1st generation masters for the source used, according to the wording.

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=48524&forumID=1&archive=0

I caved in and listened to the samples on LLL’s site for the new release, wow. I’m impressed with the clarity. It’s never sounded this good.

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

I noticed there are two books in the set. What’s that about?

The press release says just one 44 page booklet so I believe there are two pictured to show the cover and inside of the same booklet.  

1 hour ago, dougie said:

If this new LLL release was made from the first generation recording masters, then what was the FSM made from?

http://legacy.aintitcool.com/node/35754

The Rhino release used a combination of source elements: 6-track dubbing stems three generations down from the original, 3-track stems at least one generation further away, a 2-track reel of "outs" and the original LP 1/4" master, all mixed and matched and combined for the purpose of restoring the full length of the cues. Just as that release was coming out, the 6-track "goody" reels were recovered which contained all the original lengths of cues in consistent quality that was one generation closer to the original.

Hi guys, long time reader. Huge Superman fan, I consider this the greatest score ever written. I'm beyond excited.... 

So we are going from a 3rd generation 6-track to a 1st generation 24-track source !

It is my understanding that the 35mm element they had before is still considering "first gen" even though it's technically a dub of the original 2" element.  Something like that.  

Actually if the Rhino release source was 3 generations down from the original it means it was 4th gen

FSM box source was one gen closer = 3rd gen

And we are going from a 6-track to a 24-track source

You know I'm ecstatic that Mike M got the chance to do Superman again and I'm not going to lie I totally hear the bump in the sound quality and of course there is the stellar Titus artwork. If you don't have Superman this is the best it's going to get! 

There are only 2 things stopping me from insta buying this

1. It was a long drawn out discussion for me to buy the Blue box with my wife years ago saying at the time "this is it this is the best Superman will ever sound" LOL here we are and how wrong I was. 

2. I literally just bought the potter box and AI last week...

So I'm so going to lose this debate and will have to hold off

LOL hopefully it won't disappear too quick 

5 minutes ago, dougie said:

Bloody Rhino should have got it right the first friggin time round.

@dougie Wondering, Do you know the story of how Mike M found better elements literally as the Rhino set was coming out? both heartbreaking and an awesome story at the same time :)

EDIT: Just looked at Dougies profile and realized who he was LOL I'm pretty sure he knows the story.... opps

1 minute ago, Brian99_1 said:

@dougie Wondering, Do you know the story of how Mike M found better elements literally as the Rhino set was coming out? both heartbreaking and an awesome story at the same time :)

Yeah I remember reading about that as the DVD was being released.

By the way, you need to run your music purchases by your wife?

Just now, dougie said:

By the way, you need to run your music purchases by your wife?

We run any purchase over $50 with the other person... buy the time shipping and exchange is on this puppy it's gonna be over $60 :)

53 minutes ago, Jay said:

It is my understanding that the 35mm element they had before is still considering "first gen" even though it's technically a dub of the original 2" element.  Something like that.  

I guess it was the first gen. film element.

Probably a stupid question, but how do they know if something is second or third generation? And why do they have all these copies anyway, who are they made for?

And a less stupid question, will that weird guitar/footstep sound still be near the end of the flying sequence?

28 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

I remember the chilly stare from those eyes when the Mrs came home and saw the Herrmann Varèse box set sitting next to me.......

Does she have any pointless and expensive hobbies?

Very mixing feelings about Sups. From one hand, I'm glad, that after Blue Box was finally sold out, the score still be in-print. From the other hand....

Does it mean that in 2028 we will get 50th Anniversary edition, which will sounds even better, with another 1-2 tracks, which no-one heard for 50 years? wink

And in serious mode - I understand that this new edition is remastered, improved etc., etc. and etc.
But if I already own Blue Box, do I really need to upgrade it? Please, don't say - just listen samples & compare.
I don't have expensive hi-fi equipment, so if I couldn't hear difference on my current equipment, I'll wait with this one. Let's face it - $35 (+ another $35 for bonus tracks, which were released on Superman 2-3 set), plus huge international shipping costs just for some short new tracks and better sound (with no guarantee that I'll hear the difference!) - is too much for me.

It will be very helpful, if Mike can comment about improvements etc.

I feel the frustration when it comes to international shipping. It's gotten ridiculous. On this side of the equation, all we can do is get the projects done and make sure that a masterpiece like this is preserved, made available, and presented as best as we can.

I'll leave it others to comment on the quality of the sound on inexpensive equipment or otherwise, but honestly there is nowhere to go from here for the 50th or at any later time other than a high resolution release. There's no infrastructure in place for that at the moment because it involves two unrelated corporate entities, hence the flourishing of third party labels. At this moment in time, licenses are granted to those third party labels for physical compact disc product. And further note that with this studio it is the label who pays for the shipping in of the boxes and all the transfers as well as the mastering work, etc.

Like buying a new car, sometimes you have to just accept that the money isn't there right now. Maybe it will be in the future, and at least with this score it's popular enough to expect that it will always in print. With the good fortune of it being a UK recording, it's something that La-La Land (especially knowing MV's feelings about it) will want to keep in their catalog as long as possible.

On the other hand, life is short and if you are passionate about something, that can sometimes take precedence over financial factors, especially when you want to be supportive of those who work to make available those things you are passionate about. There is no shame in a decision either way, but no one can really make it for you.

Mike M.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=134366&forumID=1

Mike agrees with me then: the only thing they can do in the future is to re-release this as a FLAC 96khz/24bit version... And it wouldn't be a physical release anyway, just digital.

Like I said I don't have the right equipment to take advantage of Hi-Res Audio anyway

Just got an email from LLL, instead of awaiting fulfillment it's now awaiting shipment!  Maybe these will ship before Friday?  🤞

An order you recently placed on our website has had its status changed.

The status of order #173685 is now Awaiting Shipment

I don’t see any point in 96khz/24bit releases. And I’m not just talking about Superman, I mean in general. CD quality is the perfect middle ground.

Anyhoo, I am super excited for this release! Can’t wait to hear it! If it sounds as good as the press release states...

“...this outstanding reissue – simply put – is like hearing SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE for the very first time!”

...then WOOHOO bring it on!