SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - 3CD Set from La-La Land Records

TownerFan

Hey, guys.  I also posted this on the Supes II/III discussion, but that thread seems pretty dead now.  So this is probably a stupid question, but is that warbling distortion supposed to be there between 35-42 seconds on the track “Daddy’s Rise and Fall” on Superman II?  It’s there in the blue box version, too...but if it’s intentional, it certainly sounds...very, very strange.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'd rather not hear it at all before hearing the set, personally. I went out of my way to avoid the Firebolt alternate from Azkaban but sadly I kept hearing excerpts in various podcasts. It would've been amazing to hear that for the first time in the set itself (and I imagine the alternate Fortress would be much the same).

Which is why he is giving instructions on how to skip it!

3 minutes ago, Faleel J.M. said:

Which is why he is giving instructions on how to skip it!

I know that, I wasn't having a go. Just saying I'd prefer discovering these new treasures in the set itself rather than inadvertently in a podcast. It's a great gesture giving listeners advance warning, so I appreciate that.

I don't remember which podcast used the Firebolt alternate but I remember rushing to my speakers to mute the volume as there was little warning -- I regretted being 'spoiled' before having the chance to discover that cue with the rest of the Azkaban alternates in the set itself. 

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Do they really have boxes in Middle-Earth? I sense a historical inaccuracy here.

Box IS an Old English word.....

Middle-earth is the north continent of Earth (Arda) in an imaginary period of the Earth's past (Tolkien placed the end of the Third Age at about 6,000 years before his own time), in the sense of a "secondary or sub-creational reality". Its general position is reminiscent of Europe, with the environs of the Shire intended to be reminiscent of England (more specifically, the West Midlands, with Hobbiton set at the same latitude as Oxford)

On Rohan:

The names and many details of their culture are derived from Germanic cultures, particularly that of the Anglo-Saxons and their Old English language, towards which Tolkien felt a strong affinity. Ultimately Anglo-Saxon England was defeated by the cavalry of the Normans at the Battle of Hastings, and some Tolkien scholars have speculated that the Rohirrim are Tolkien's wishful version of an Anglo-Saxon society that retained a "rider culture", and would have been able to resist such an invasion.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle-earth

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohan_(Middle-earth)

Anyways this has nothing to do with Superman, and is in the wrong forum.

I have had some difficulties with this (wonderful) score because the film is so bad, so laughable that it is difficult to take it seriously. Well Lucas and Spielberg also made bad films that Williams scored, they loved music (and brought us wonderful music) thought. 

6 minutes ago, hornist said:

...the film is so bad, so laughable that it is difficult to take it seriously.

Definitely not!

It perfectly encapsulates what makes the character so beloved and has perhaps the best superhero performance in Reeves. Some parts are definitely dated but at the time there was nothing like it.

Just now, John said:

Definitely not!

It perfectly encapsulates what makes the character so beloved and has perhaps the best superhero performance in Reeves. Some parts are definitely dated but at the time there was nothing like it.

It's still my favourite superhero movie!

1 minute ago, John said:

Definitely not!

I just don't get it!! And I was 12 when I first saw it and am now over 50... Not for me this genre. And I hate all these new marvel films... 

Mike M with a "mic-drop" moment 😂

On a very rare occasion I might complain about a repeat purchase, but Superman?!?!  Come on, it's been 10 years, not 10 months.  They had me at "original 2-inch, 24-track music masters"

If any label did this I might not ever buy from them ever again.

Seriously, Superman has already stretched it to the point of ridiculousness. Only the fact the Blue Box exists saves that one.

But I seem to be the only one who feels this way.

Perhaps so. This is supposedly a community of people who care about classic film music being preserved and released and who support it as much as possible, isn't it? Your post seems to express the polar opposite of this.

Is it ridiculous to have an expanded Superman: The Movie as a separate release? That was bound to happen anyway, even if it was just a reissue of the box set content.

Or was it ridiculous for an independent label to use that opportunity to do a fresh hi-resolution capture of the scoring masters that had last been transferred 18 years prior? And then when the precious first generation masters were found to exist, was it ridiculous for the the label to spend money that the studio would NOT spend to preserve the material... and use that for their new release?

With respect, what seems ridiculous to me is confining John Williams' Superman score to an out of print box set, as successful and stellar as that project was. Also ridiculous would be to not seize the opportunity to improve it, so that more people could get it and fall in love with it. The label would like to stay in business so it's also not ridiculous to get excited about the new version -- but the excitement is legitimate and well founded.

No one is ever forced to buy anything, but when endeavors like this are successful it could open the door to others. After all, it was the success of the 1997 Star Wars releases that led to Rhino's expanded Superman in the first place.

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=134453&forumID=1&archive=0

Yes!

I think in cases like this some people complain because others who are buying this will have a better overall product than they currently do and therefore causing jealousy.  Kind of weird, I know, but with a passionate "hobby" comes a lot of passion.  

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The full original OST program has never been legally sold in the USA.

I would use "officially" instead of "legally". Or did I commit a crime when I bought my copy from a private collection on Ebay?

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Where have you been for the last forty years - in a soundtrack monastery?

The earlier releases were before my collector's releases time, and the blue box was too expensive for a lot of stuff I'm not interested in, so this is actually the perfect occasion to finally get this ;)

16 minutes ago, crocodile said:

There was also Japanese release that did have those two on but that's quite difficult to find.

It might be a bit out of immediate reach, but a quick eBay search will turn up many results.

I'll tell you what's hard to find and expensive, the Japanese CD release of Superman II and III. I waited about a year for one to show up and finally one did on Amazon for $80, so I picked it up. It's a surprisingly handsome presentation of the music from those two films and a fun listen.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

The OST, as presented on LP in 1978, was never released on CD in the US. The CD album that was released omitted two tracks (Growing Up and Lex Luthor's Lair). There was also Japanese release that did have those two on but that's quite difficult to find. So yes, you can theoretically get the full OST on CD but it was never released in the US. 

They said it wouldn't start shipping before the 22nd.

Karol

Exactly. My post was made on the 22nd...so I guess it wasn't shipped on the 22nd after all.

11 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Ah, I thought you meant you meant the set.

Karol

I did read that they were going to work over the weekend to get the sets out to people as soon as possible. Going to be such a long wait.

I got the Japanese edition with the Obi intact a few years ago. Being my first soundtrack ever, I still get a kick over it. I don't know how Warner Japan ended up with the album master because this version came out a year after the US edition. 

Things have been really quiet considering shipping was due to start yesterday! I'm sure they're doing everything they can to get orders out. It's just a bit strange that the 22nd came and went seemingly without a peep.

Just in case someone was wanting it:

The second Disc has a higher resolution version of the cover:

https://theseconddisc.com/2019/02/you-will-believe-la-la-land-restores-williams-superman-score-for-40th-anniversary/

Superman-The-Movie-LLL-cover.jpg