SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - 3CD Set from La-La Land Records

TownerFan

Intrada will be having this in their stock today12th of March. I cant wait for mine to ship. Also SAE will have their stock as well this mid week. 

It is amazing that Superman: The Movie has had 3 restorations on CD the Rhino Records 2 CD release in 2000 , The Superman The Music (1978-1988) 8 CD Box Set release in 2008 and La Land Records 3 CD Release this year in 2019 for it's 40th Anniversary in 2018. It took 3 try's to get it right and the hard work Mike Matessino has put into these releases have been amazing !!! 

I've got mail today.....

I'm listening to this with a stupid smile on my face.... Unbelievable audio quality, I know this score backwards and i'm hearing instruments I never heard before....

It's like Christmas three months later.... 

These scores have always reminded me of the films A Hard Day's Night and Help!, probably because of the Richard Lester connection. So the Superman score always seemed more British than American to me, like an old Roger Moore 007 flick.

Return of the Jedi always reminds me of Help! to this day because my dad had them on the same tape. To me it's like those two movies are one.

That photo of Williams, Dick Donner, Chris Reeve, Eric Thomlinson, and Ilya Salkind: great find, @TownerFan.

...and without a Caped Wonder watermark on it.😍

EDIT:

Thanks for sharing that photo.

On 3/21/2019 at 7:50 AM, TownerFan said:

More Superman-related stuff, hope you'll find this interesting:

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2019/03/21/london-symphony-orchestra-superman/

Is it true that Williams' symphony was performed in 1972 by the LSO?  If so, one of us from London should go visit the archives since all program notes are there and we might learn more about the work from that source than anywhere else. 

https://lso.co.uk/orchestra/history/about-the-lso-archive.html

The clear plastic on mine has some vertical lines on one side that only show under a certain light. The inner black part was thankfully intact, but also came with an insert so it could hold 4 discs! I promptly snapped that insert out, put it in my HP1 set, broke the remaining of the broken teeth off, and now Disc 2 is not rattling around anymore! A+.

3 hours ago, karelm said:

Is it true that Williams' symphony was performed in 1972 by the LSO? 

Yes, it is. It was performed at the Royal Festival Hall with André Previn conducting. On Jeff Eldridge's website (johnwilliams.org) there used to be the short program introduction written by Williams himself (cannot find it anymore, tho), where he speaks a bit about some Webern-like passages in the first movement, while the second movement being inspired by the playing of jazz flutist Eric Dolphy.

The symphony is in three movements and lasts around 25 minutes, btw, as we discussed in the other thread.

Actually I was pleased to find a breakdown of exactly that in the liner notes. Mike described which alternates were substantially different and which weren't. Based on what he wrote, here's the sequence I came up with for bonus tracks in my own edit:

Prelude and Main Title (alternate)

The Planet Krypton (alternate segment)

The Dome Opens (alternate)

The March of the Villains

The Mugger (alternate)

The Fortress of Solitude (alternate segment)

By the way I also included the vocal version of "Can You Read My Mind" in the main program in place of the instrumental. But I took it from the FSM release, which had the vocals mixed in a way that I preferred.

4 hours ago, rough cut said:

March of the villains?

Yeah, he relegated it to the bonus section instead of in the middle.

But there’s nothing new/different about it.

Other than the fact that it sounds better than ever before (since Rhino actually, due to the fact that the Rhino release and the Blue Box is from the exact same master).

10 hours ago, rough cut said:

But there’s nothing new/different about it.

Other than the fact that it sounds better than ever before (since Rhino actually, due to the fact that the Rhino release and the Blue Box is from the exact same master).

You misunderstand the purpose of the bonus section.

It's not just for alternates, it usually kicks off with concert arrangements.

Look at my title below my name: I'll not let this set get away that easily!

Am I hearing a tempo messup at 1:33-34 of D1/1? Maybe a leftover of the analog edits being made on the first gen masters.

I'm not sure how much was kept or forced to be kept from previous releases, and some are the actual cue titles, so I'll say somebody somewhen got kinda uninspired when naming the tracks: The Helicopter Sequence, The Burglar Sequence, The Flying Sequence, The Truck Convoy Sequence! Visit thesaurus.com already!

Not sure yet if I'm a fan of having MotV in the middle of the main presentation, in a portion which is already heavy on the theme.

Though it's not rocket science and Jay's spreadsheet helps a lot, I wouldn't have minded an OST assembly guide in the booklet on one or two additional pages, if they already included cue titles, slates and recording dates - props for that one, BTW, I always love when Intrada does it, it's fun to go through it once or twice when you know the score already. The release is low on OST info anyway, not even having the tracklist on the back! Could it have been a late idea, perhaps?

Different waters: love how Titus parallels/contrasts the two car lifting scenes in the trays! Even the front cover poster which I didn't like is growing on me.

41 minutes ago, Faleel J.M. said:

You misunderstand the purpose of the bonus section.

It's not just for alternates, it usually kicks off with concert arrangements.

I didn’t misunderstand anything. The original question was about what was different.

On 3/27/2019 at 3:35 PM, Pieter_Boelen said:

Does anyone happen to know which one of the alternates are really notably different from their regular versions?

All good here; I managed to read between the lines a bit.

And of course March of the Villains cannot be dropped altogether, so it might as well be mentioned! ;)

42 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

It's an example of JW's comedic, "bumbling" mode that he's used here and there throughout his career, but I enjoy "Introducing the Thompsons" and "Viktor's Tale" much more.

But in this case it sounds less childishly wanna-be-funny and more sarcastic.

I agree that it’s too whimsical for a villain like Lex Luthor (or at least how he is “supposed” to be).

And yes, I too, love the russian flavor in Viktor’s Tale.

That being said, it has a catchy melody, a fantastic build up and is an all-round, kick-ass march. The viola section that expands upon the melody in the middle blows my mind every time. There’s nothing whimsical about that!

Just detach it from the movie in your mind, listen to the music, and maybe you’ll love it as I do.

March of the Villains fits with Luthor's character, but when it enters the score it just sounds so out of place. I prefer Ottman's Luthor theme in Superman Returns, a bit more menacing and powerful...

On 3/28/2019 at 4:52 PM, Holko said:

Am I hearing a tempo messup at 1:33-34 of D1/1? Maybe a leftover of the analog edits being made on the first gen masters.

Paging this again since it was overlooked in the bonus track / MotV debate.

Anyone else notice this? Did Mike miss this, or was it messed up with the reediting and there was really no other take that could be used to stich it up?

16 hours ago, Holko said:

Paging this again since it was overlooked in the bonus track / MotV debate.

Anyone else notice this? Did Mike miss this, or was it messed up with the reediting and there was really no other take that could be used to stich it up?

Hearing it too! Sounds the same on the Rhino release.