SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - 3CD Set from La-La Land Records

TownerFan

10 hours ago, xWxzek said:

The Blue Box was perfect. The new Superman was a waste of plastic that should have been used for petrol. 

Wrong. 

Btw Superman is John's 3rd best score.

Can you guys please stop squabbling with each other and return to discussing this music release please.  Thank you.

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

Can you guys please stop squabbling with each other and return to discussing this music release please.  Thank you.

Oh just be quiet

21 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So, anybody else who likes mainly the first half of the Superman score?

No. The 2nd half is brilliant. Its loaded with jems. Supermans rescue is perhaps my favorite short moment in the score. Also the moment when Lex messages Superman and clark jumps out the window. Fantastic

The second half sure has its moments, but to me the first half sounds so much more refined. It made a lot of sense when I read that JW had plenty of time writing the first half, but very little time for the second half.

Yes, the second half feels jumbled and it all runs together for me. I enjoy the first half a lot more. The best part about the second half, though, is that all the themes get lots of variations.

I am shocked that I actually hear significant sound Improvement.  It makes my car go faster.

13 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I am shocked that I actually hear significant sound Improvement.  It makes my car go faster.

I never got audiophile vibes from you, Joe, so that's promising to hear.

54 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I never got audiophile vibes from you, Joe, so that's promising to hear.

I am not but when I can hear it then it must be real. And Stefan told me he could hear. That was great encouragement from a trusted friend

I listened ot it more than the main program to familiarise myself with it. It's a great little (OK, 2LP, big) representation. 

19 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't like it more than the second half, but I'll concede that the two halves almost sound like two different films. The first half is epic, operatic symphonic story-telling; second is vintage 70's romantic/thrilling underscoring. But that works for me, because the differences are visual as well. 

Question: in the liner notes it says the alternate segment "I Can Fly" was arranged for a shorter edit, but this particular segment is as long as the equivalent portion in "The Flying Sequence". So, just an alternate rather than a shorter version?

Flying Sequence was for the earlier, longer edit, I Can Fly was written for when it was shortened, but it wasn't used and Flying Sequence was edited down and used instead. That's how I understood it at least.

11 minutes ago, Holko said:

Flying Sequence was for the earlier, longer edit, I Can Fly was written for when it was shortened, but it wasn't used and Flying Sequence was edited down and used instead. That's how I understood it at least.

I haven't gotten the set yet. Is the unedited version of the flying sequence included?

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I haven't gotten the set yet. Is the unedited version of the flying sequence included?

Of course it is. The only film edits, or approximations without speedup and distortion really, are the Main Title and End Credits, as bonus tracks. Maybe we can count Can You Read My Mind as well, which is also presented with the poem overlay placed exactly as is in the film. Main programs pretty much never edit cues down.

On 4/29/2019 at 7:57 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

I've been saying that for at least a decade.

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I've been saying that for at least a decade.

Many Foreigners just dont appreciate this magical score.

The Superman score seems to have - for being released in 1978 - gone through alot of shenanigans of editing tracks and switching cues - but then they changed their minds and changed it back again but this time with an edit of the original instead... it’s more than just alternates or unused (or dialed out) cues (which also exists!).

JW’s other scores from the 70s and 80s does seem to have this kind of complicated history.

I would guess that today it’s easier and more common with digital editing to swap things around and edit however you like, but I imagine that back in the day it would’ve been quite a hassle.

Are there more examples in JW’s catalogue of the old switcharoo-game? Or is Superman the sole example? If so, then why? Donner’s directing style? Time constraints?

Yeah, the themes in Superman are phenomenal and they way they are handled, the way they fit the screen - sublime!

The only other instance I can think of - where a kind of swapping has occurred - is the “binary sunset” insert in The Force Awakens.

• 5 weeks later...

I wanted to buy this with the LLL 25% Memorial day sale, but it says "temporarily out of stock" at LLL. Did the remove it on purpose for the sale because I'm sure it' s not oop