SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - 3CD Set from La-La Land Records

TownerFan

3 hours ago, The Original said:

The prequels are superior to the originals.

Said no one ever

Superman the Movie  is better  than the prequels 

Elfman was critical of Williams theme when he discussed his BATMAN score in a Starlog Magazine interview where he mentioned how 1 dimensional the theme was indicating a single uplifting expression only. Whereas his own Dark Knight theme could be modulated in many ways.. 

Anyone remember reading that? But I was glad he used the theme in the sequel. It was a good tribute and essentially indicated how important and unforgettable Williams iconic theme was even to this day. 

53 minutes ago, Amer said:

where he mentioned how 1 dimensional the theme was indicating a single uplifting expression only.

That's a silly thing to be critical about. While there's an element of truth to his comments, it's exactly why Williams wrote several major themes in the score, which all serve a different purpose. Leaving Home for the more melancholic and ruminative moments, the Love Theme for obvious usage, etc. which all compliment the triumphant main theme.

41 minutes ago, crumbs said:

That's a silly thing to be critical about. While there's an element of truth to his comments, it's exactly why Williams wrote several major themes in the score, which all serve a different purpose. Leaving Home for the more melancholic and ruminative moments, the Love Theme for obvious usage, etc. which all compliment the triumphant main theme.

And it is not as if the Superman theme isn't integrated in the score in countless variations, yes many of them heroic, but there are more subdued variants used by Williams as the situation warrants.

33 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Might as well mention I purchased this with Monsignor in the proper thread

Where did you find S: TM? Isn't it temporarily sold out? I need to pick one up.

Some info on the availability. I wasn't aware that this has been out of stock for so long. I ordered it at Intrada nearly 2.5 months ago, along with a ton of other stuff, and just sent an inquiry mail the other day to check that the order is still active. I got a reply within an hour. Here's what Jeff from Intrada wrote:

We're still waiting for more SUPERMAN THE MOVIE to arrive from La-La Land Records. La-La Land was in process of changing pressing plants, which is the reason for the delay in getting more product to dealers. They originally said they'd be shipping "early May" but now they're saying "hopefully June." The guys at La-La Land are understandably frustrated as are all customers who are waiting for this title.

They also kindly added Monsignor to my order while it's still pending.

• 2 weeks later...

From FSM:

Posted:  Jun 17, 2019 - 7:51 PM    

By:  tyuan   (Member)

"Just listened this new 40th release.
As always occour in "new multitrack mixes", lots of music instruments that used to be in the background now are too high in volume, so the perfect and balanced listening experience of the original stereo tracks is completely gone on this "40th edition".
Much better to return back to the Holy Blue Box and its 100% "film feeling perfect match".
Filmscore totally wins for me!"

Any thoughts, JWfan?

I know, and I like the instrument balance in the LLL.

It's a total remix from the original multitrack element, like CE3K

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

From FSM:

Posted:  Jun 17, 2019 - 7:51 PM    

By:  tyuan   (Member)

"Just listened this new 40th release.
As always occour in "new multitrack mixes", lots of music instruments that used to be in the background now are too high in volume, so the perfect and balanced listening experience of the original stereo tracks is completely gone on this "40th edition".
Much better to return back to the Holy Blue Box and its 100% "film feeling perfect match".
Filmscore totally wins for me!"

Any thoughts, JWfan?

Presumptious forum poster offers up lukewarm "hot take" pulled solely from his anus, connected directly to his bowels, located smack in the middle of his ears. 

Happens literally thousands of times an hour. 

Personally, I love this edition, the clarity and the levels etc., sound perfect to my ears.

Before this release, I listened to the Rhino 2 CD release a number of times, and once or twice to the OST with 2 missing tracks I had a while back, and found myself going back to it fairly frequently.

I attribute this largely to the improved sound quality and clarity, and the levels etc. rarely enter my thoughts.

The LLLR release is, IMHO, definitive and all one could possibly need.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Expanded editions don't always have better sound, but this one does

I think the OST  to Stanley and Iris sounds a bit better than the expanded one

A while ago I got the Multi channel 5.1 SACD of James Horner's TITANIC. The LLL expansion's sound quality is leagues ahead in stereo.

Similarly the LLL CE3K issue is far more stellar in soundmix than the OST SACD issue that came out a year earlier before LLL. 

LLL expansions are definitivly better and so is Intrada (specialy  with Matessino's involvement)

On 6/5/2019 at 8:03 AM, Amer said:

Elfman was critical of Williams theme when he discussed his BATMAN score in a Starlog Magazine interview where he mentioned how 1 dimensional the theme was indicating a single uplifting expression only. Whereas his own Dark Knight theme could be modulated in many ways.. 

Anyone remember reading that? But I was glad he used the theme in the sequel. It was a good tribute and essentially indicated how important and unforgettable Williams iconic theme was even to this day. 

Walk away, man, just...walk away.