SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - 3CD Set from La-La Land Records

TownerFan

Not that I haven't enjoyed LLL's E.T. over the past 2 years. I did, and quite a lot. I've already converted it to 320kbps mp3 to play in my car (it doesn't read flac), I've already copied the flac files to my phone, which I hardly listen because it's a sin to listen to such a masterpiece on a phone with earbuds while on the run (not from the police:lol:), I've already burned CD-Rs to listen in my home system (yes, my home system is not USB friendly) and I included 3 tracks from CD2, "The Encounter", "The Kiss" and "Levitation" for a complete experience.

And all this even before my set arrived, which took about 60 days. So yes, my set is still sealed. Not only I enjoyed the music, and still am enjoying, but I get to look at sealed, brand new set and feel the same joy I felt the day it arrived.

yeah but you don't know if the disks are scratched

I got my Superman and Monsignor today.

Phew. No micro scratches and jewel cases intact.Case closed

At least SAE packs them in an actual box with bubble wrap inside

So does LLL.... at least my Potter and Planet of the Apes sets did.

My Potter set came in a box with an airbag, however the box was a bit spacious meaning the set was probably sliding/bashing around in transit. Thankfully no damage, but I know @crumbs and others suffered because of this. 

IIRC, LLL used to send CDs in CD-sized boxes which were quite sturdy!

So anybody that's already gotten this set be kind enough to post some good pics of it? Just so that I know what I'm missing so far? 

Although yeah... I'll eventually get this. I mean who am I kidding? No matter that I already have like 3 different editions of Superman on my shelf. 

13 hours ago, Josh500 said:

So anybody that's already gotten this set be kind enough to post some good pics of it? Just so that I know what I'm missing so far? 

Although yeah... I'll eventually get this. I mean who am I kidding? No matter that I already have like 3 different editions of Superman on my shelf. 

Here is an unboxing video. 

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Thanks for the heads-up! I decided to go for it this time around. I never should have compared the samples to the Blue Box...the sound quality...it's so much better...curse Mike Matessino for doing such a great job!

15 hours ago, Datameister said:

Holy shit, this release sounds good. I think I can safely say that I'm going to listen to this score significantly more often because of this release. The Blue Box was a big step up from the Rhino release, but there was still something off-putting about its sound for me. This, on the other hand...this is something else altogether. Massive kudos and deepest thanks to the gang over at LLL.

I've waited my whole life for this one, man. This is my favorite JW score, and I'm hearing instruments for the first time. It's been on constant replay since I got it. :) Glad you're enjoying it too!!! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2019 at 2:17 PM, ATXHusker said:

No love for this release under the Reissues and Expansions section?  Slackers...  ;) 

image.png

Might as well throw in MR :)

But is there that much more music missing from the OST?

I dunno, I have the feeling that, for these smaller scale drama/romance movies that Williams does (or used to do), the OST includes almost everything. His fantasy/adventure blockbusters are more densely scored, so they have more stuff missing.

30 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Yes, Ricard, while you're at it please add 2019 expansions for Hook, The Patriot, The Force Awakens, and WAR HORSE.

And add Superman to the "FULL SCORES PERFORMED LIVE TO PICTURE" box.  FCL actually got around to adding all two venues in their Superman page.

Posting.png

• 4 weeks later...
JW Superman motivic source/Easter egg alert*: I just watched the Fleischer Superman cartoons for the first time in adulthood and was like, of course, down to the exact pitches and shared visual imagery.

(3:56)

(3:22)

Also, ass kicking Lois!

*assuming it hasn't already been noted somewhere in the last 40 years, which it probably has been.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I just listened to the new release for the first time and the sound is indeed impressive.

Better late than never!

I've asked about it once already but it picked up now in PMs and I'm now taking it back here again.

On 1/12/2020 at 12:34 PM, Holko said:

I attempted to patch up the weird beat skip in Superman a couple months ago, I'd appreciate some feedback, positive or negative. If you have no clue what I'm talking about... good! Don't look for it on the LLL. If you notice absolutely nothing in this uploaded fixed try between 1:13 and 1:43... good! That means I succeeded. If you haven't noticed the skip in the LLL track and you haven't noticed anything in this track but are willing to swap files, feel free to check the LLL, ruin it for yourself, then download mine! :P

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dd6pSDqvGNUT6LkxhiUxhzODrwTjCc6H/view?usp=sharing

9 hours ago, Holko said:

It could even be where two different takes were joined awkwardly with groundbreaking perfect 1978 handsplicing magnetic tape technology.

7 hours ago, Holko said:

Just checked to be sure, it's present on the Rhino on Spotify, in the film opening credits (inaudible under the name swoop effects but checks out when you're following the rythm) and the prison yard ending where it's been tracked.

6 hours ago, Holko said:

Fuck, that's precisely why it's like this on the LLL, too, isn't it? The track as is has been in the licensing catalogue like that since the Rhino and I guess FSM kept it that way, too. If it was only the edited OST track that had it and was released, Mike probably could've gotten away with doing this same loop I did if he wanted to, but now that both an OST and "complete" track are in the catalogue already, it probably would have been a rights hassle not really worth it for this minor sub-second fix that I could fix up in 2 minutes in Audacity?

@BrotherSound, @The Five Tones, @Chewy, @Fal J. M. Skywalker, @Jay?

Anything to reiterate/add? Anyone else? (I intentionally didn't want to quote anything said by others in a private convo just to be sure)

As I said privately, the important question(s) would be: is there an actual inaccurate splice at that point that was perhaps catalogued but not remedied, and why? If there is no tape edit, are there tracks (among the 24 channels) that were muted in the final mix to clear some audible performance issue there, and if so, why would this not be considered eligible for a "performance edit?" One can almost count 11/8 instead of 12/8 in that measure but on the next the orchestra appears to be perfect sync for the tutti ostinato; as others have pointed out it's a very inorganic sounding hiccup. A licensing issue makes sense... a corrected version would be one "alternate" too many?

Holko did a fantastic job on the microedit. One question, was the extra 2 seconds on the track timing an unrelated change, like a default gap added by Audacity?

1 hour ago, The Five Tones said:

One question, was the extra 2 seconds on the track timing an unrelated change, like a default gap added by Audacity?

Ah. It was 3 tracks on 3 layers: first half, patching bit pushed back from earlier, last half. The second track obviously lasts longer than the rest since it's pushed back and I forgot to correct for that. I quickly fixed and reuploaded it, new link. The actual difference should be less than half a second.

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nice fix, Holko. MM's attention to details has diminished in later years...

Have you discovered bad edits in the recent releases? Tell us!

54 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Have you discovered bad edits in the recent releases? Tell us!

Well, there's the five repeated samples in the HP set... totally unforgivable! ;)

2 hours ago, The Five Tones said:

It's as if where you would count "1 and a 2 and a 3 and a 4 and a" (i.e. the march's time signature of 12/8) it came out as "1 and a 2 and a 3 a 4 and a," like a missing eighth note.

To my ears, it sounds more like the tenth quaver is missing, like "1 and a 2 and a 3 and a and a".

21 hours ago, Holko said:

I've asked about it once already but it picked up now in PMs and I'm now taking it back here again.

@BrotherSound, @The Five Tones, @Chewy, @Fal J. M. Skywalker, @Jay?

Anything to reiterate/add? Anyone else? (I intentionally didn't want to quote anything said by others in a private convo just to be sure)

My thoughts on the matter are as follows... being that it is that way on the rhino set, as well as the main and entitles in the film, I have long suspected that it was intentionally recorded this way. Additionally, listen to the isolated audio on the Blu-ray track-- it sounds to me as though the sustained trumpet fades out more quickly, allowing one to hear a split-second of a violin trill lingering, before the chord resolves. But, it ALSO sounds to me as if the LLL set has tried to remedy this, by somehow allowing the trumpet tone to linger a split-second longer, but without altering this strange rhythmic change.  

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:
10 hours ago, The Five Tones said:

It's as if where you would count "1 and a 2 and a 3 and a 4 and a" (i.e. the march's time signature of 12/8) it came out as "1 and a 2 and a 3 a 4 and a," like a missing eighth note.

To my ears, it sounds more like the tenth quaver is missing, like "1 and a 2 and a 3 and a and a".

I've thought about the edit being in several places around that measure including the very beginning and the end, and wouldn't discount your hearing of it, but the fast rising run/scale in the winds and strings sounds to me as unbroken from the point I mentioned. Who knows, it's not pristine sound quality with oodles of high transients, even remastered at full res from the original tapes.

2 hours ago, jwalk713 said:

My thoughts on the matter are as follows... being that it is that way on the rhino set, as well as the main and entitles in the film, I have long suspected that it was intentionally recorded this way. Additionally, listen to the isolated audio on the Blu-ray track-- it sounds to me as though the sustained trumpet fades out more quickly, allowing one to hear a split-second of a violin trill lingering, before the chord resolves. But, it ALSO sounds to me as if the LLL set has tried to remedy this, by somehow allowing the trumpet tone to linger a split-second longer, but without altering this strange rhythmic change.

Yes, I listened to that strata as well, interesting theory. What would Vond-Ah say about our edit theories? "The facts are undeniable. It's your conclusions we find unsupportable."

15 minutes ago, The Five Tones said:

I've thought about the edit being in several places around that measure including the very beginning and the end, and wouldn't discount your hearing of it, but the fast rising run/scale in the winds and strings sounds to me as unbroken from the point I mentioned. Who knows, it's not pristine sound quality with oodles of high transients, even remastered at full res from the original tapes.

Then you're probably right. I was listening mainly to the rhythm pattern.