SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - 3CD Set from La-La Land Records

TownerFan

4 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

It's just that I recall reading that THE BEATLES did alot of manipulating of speed and pitch. They could change keys upward without it sounding like it was sped up.

Fwiw

I could be wrong, but I believe that was all done by changing the speed - they would play/sing slower or faster to compensate. Same principle with the Chipmunks back in the day, although that was obviously a more extreme case.

Right .

For example , the instrumental break from IN MY LIFE is a piano sped up . It not only increase speed but pitch, making it sound like harpsichord.

On STRAWBERRY FIELDS , iirc, there were two sections recorded in different keys. The engineer was able to raise the pitch so they matched. I guess the voice sounded slightly higher also

With The Beatles (or even the mice in Cinderella) you're describing scenarios where the knew ahead of time that they were going to change the pitch and compensated with the speed to match. In Superman they just wanted the timing changed and hoped no one would notice the pitch. I'd argue they got away with it. 

On 11/28/2020 at 2:10 PM, SyncMan said:

@E-Wan,if this matters, the DVD and Blu Ray releases of 'Superman'  have an ‘isolated music score’ audio track where the music is edited and sync’d with the film.

Otherwise, what project are you working on that you have to do the sync’ing/edits yourself?

I'm preparing my lecture about John Williams' scores for sci-fi films where I'm going to  use some film scenes with music only.

Why not just sync LLL track #1 to the film then?  The audience won't have any clue that the actual film used a sped up end titles instead

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh yea, that's true.  You don't have to make an iso track yourself, the old dvds already have it

And the Special Edition + TV Cut Blu-Ray.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Why not just sync LLL track #1 to the film then?  The audience won't have any clue that the actual film used a sped up end titles instead

Yes, you're right. I have tried to synchronize it and it fits and sounds wonderfully.

Thanks for a good idea!

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Yeah. How can you not know that?"😉

The waiting around is the 😵worst part"

1607124283743.jpg

45 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Tis here!

So.....it appears the only cue NOT on this release.is ' Lex' Luau' that appears on my RHINO?

Its on the Superman II/III set.

The alternate Can You Read My Mind as well.

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

I meant on either FSM or RHINO.

Not a fan of other films

I am saying those alts and source cues from the Rhino and FSM are not on here, and the reason is because they are on that other set.

(BTW, for those who care, some early unrecorded versions of cues were rerecorded for the sequels)

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

Do we have a list of those somewhere?

"Clark Fumbles Rescue" from Superman II is a "rerecording" of the original version of "To the Lair"

9 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Cool, thanks. Is that the only one?

The only really obvious one I remember at the moment. Its also possible some of the other reuses in II include stuff that was changed at the podium for STM, but recorded closer to as written.

35 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Did "Clark Fumbles Rescue" have any changes at all from the sheet music for the original "To the Lair"?

Other than Ken Thorne adapting to the scene? Not sure.

• 5 weeks later...

So as I understand it there are two endings to the Superman March material. There is the Main Title, which ends with an extra crash from the orchestra, and the End Title, same authoritative brass but without the final crescendo and crash. As I had understood it, the Theme from Superman track was the original Prelude attached to the End Title, however that cue on the La-La Land has the extra bop which means it is the Main Title?

I doubt a mistake was made, just want to make sure I am correctly understanding Williams original album assembly.

16 hours ago, blondheim said:

So as I understand it there are two endings to the Superman March material. There is the Main Title, which ends with an extra crash from the orchestra, and the End Title, same authoritative brass but without the final crescendo and crash. As I had understood it, the Theme from Superman track was the original Prelude attached to the End Title, however that cue on the La-La Land has the extra bop which means it is the Main Title?

I doubt a mistake was made, just want to make sure I am correctly understanding Williams original album assembly.

It's the end title primarily, with the extra crash from the main title. I think it is explained in the liner notes (it was in the FSM 2008 version), if not I think we just went over it on a recent page here

On 1/10/2021 at 8:20 AM, bruce marshall said:

Until every last take, of every last cue, of every last alternate....

It seems so pointless having the sessions when a definitive edition has been prepared and released just to have a cue with so many takes with probably little or no variation. If there was anything substantially different, I am sure it would have been on the La-La Land set.

I can certify I bought 8 new releases in my latest order on ScreenArchive and I didn't read any of the booklets.

Judge me.

• 1 month later...