SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - 3CD Set from La-La Land Records

TownerFan

• 2 months later...

Any chance of LLL making available a outer cardboard box for their recent Superman 1-4 releases like we have for other box sets?  The Disaster box set were different catalog numbers so that wouldn’t be a reason not to do it I believe.  I’d sure love to see and own one!

4 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Any chance of LLL making available a outer cardboard box for their recent Superman 1-4 releases like we have for other box sets?  The Disaster box set were different catalog numbers so that wouldn’t be a reason not to do it I believe.  I’d sure love to see and own one!

You could email them and raise the idea. I assume it would be quite complex to licence that type of thing from DC/WB so many years after the releases were finished though.

Does anybody ever listen to CD 3?

The first two discs are really great. And the natural orchestra sound does make this a wonderful listening experience.

But I listened to the OST for about 30 years. And I prefer the versions on the first two discs anyway.

So, so far I never listened to disk 3.

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

Would LLL ever be interest to just sell a cardboard box? I mean have they ever done such a thing?

It might be easier to just design and print a cardboard box yourself. There'd be printing places that look after things like that, surely.

13 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

I do listen CD3 when I don't have the time to play the 1 and 2

Yes. I also thought, this might be an option if you like to have an end to end experience of 70 minutes.

But that's another thing. What I always liked about the score is that you have that separation of the more quiet and very diverse first part and the action focussed second part.

Usually, I prefer either the one or the other, so usually no aim to hear both in one go.

But if you like that, this makes sense.

5 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Would LLL ever be interest to just sell a cardboard box? I mean have they ever done such a thing?

That was pretty much what I was going after originally.  I have all 3 releases and would like to put them into a box set.  I'd definitely purchase the box by itself.

I do not have the Blue Box but I did buy one of the extra booklets that were being sold for $5 or whatever the price was for it.  I would pay $5 plus shipping for a LLL Superman I-IV outer cardboard box.

On 1/11/2021 at 12:38 PM, Pellaeon said:

This has been “temporarily out of stock” for a very long time. :/

STILL out of stock. Wait! It was back in stock and I missed it? Aargh!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 1:26 PM, Arpy said:

Just chiming in to also sing this sets praises - the pristine sound quality and improvements over previous is a real bonus to the music which is so rich and involving. I wasn't really a fan of the film, but the score is revelatory in just how virtuoso Williams was in crafting the first most iconic superhero score, and I'm not joking when I say all superhero scores since have been living in its shadow.

But... But what about the Batman?

1 minute ago, Tallguy said:

Are you just trying to prove the point?

I think score to the Batman is somewhat superior in comparison to Superman. Or we can't compare them and just mention that they are 200% best out there.

On 6/19/2021 at 4:24 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

No, Superman is better indeed. No doubts there..

Superman is rated 4.20 on Filmtracks. Batman is 4.3 and top 10 in the ratings, based on multiple rankings. Nuff said. 

Villain theme is better in Batman, great use of choir, full-blown waltz, Attack of the Batwing easily kills most of the Superman action sequences and e.t.c.

I really like JW but Elfman here is a winner.

• 4 months later...

So is it just my non-expert musical ears or is the recurring short burst motif in Helicopter Sequence a rushed Supes Fanfare? (the theme that goes daaaa, dadadadaaaaaa, not the da-dadaaaa, dadadadadadaaaaa) A phrase without the first note, notes aren't doubled, last note is the first note of B phrase already but the shape is there, it's JW crying out for Superman to come and help basically.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, I didn't see this before when I placed my order for Fiddler.

I placed the order anyway so it wouldn't go out of stock like 1941. I sent an email. Hopefully they can consolidate the shipping costs a little. 

4 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Anytime someone says "Why on Earth do you need ANOTHER release of Star Wars?" I point to this set. (And Star Trek: The Motion Picture.)

"Because it can be like this!"

Wow, what a ride.

Agreed about Star Wars - this is the way the first score should sound. I disagree about TMP, though. As much as I love that set (I was just listening to it yesterday), there's something funky about the reverb they used on it. Same for Trek V. The reverb tails have a tinny, sizzly sort of sound. The problem is especially noticeable anytime the snare drum comes in. It's not enough to spoil my enjoyment of the score, but I wouldn't look to it as an example of flawless remastering.

They'd need the multi-track masters to improve Star Wars to the level of LLL's Superman. There's no evidence Lucasfilm ever recovered them.

The last we heard, the only multitrack masters they found were for music not used in the film (hence discovering the alternate Binary Sunset, which was sourced from the multi-tracks on the SE).

Sadly all the film takes were physically cut out of the first generation masters and presumably misplaced.

Star Wars has three 1st gen elements

1) 16track 2" tape, which captured the raw 10-channel mix of every take, a 50hz tone, and later had a transfer of the LCR live mix dubbed on as well {so 14 of the 16 tracks are used on this tape}
2) 35mm mag which captured Tomlinson's live LCR mix of every take, and was left untouched
3) 35mm mag which captured Tomlinson's live LCR mix of every take, and was then used by Wannberg to cut performance edits

The 16 track source was also edited by Wannberg after the room agreed on the performance edits he was doing using the 35mm.

The 35mm performance edits were sent to the guys cutting the film to be integrated into the sound mix.

The 16track 2" tape source was used to cut the soundtrack album by John Neal, who did the album edits/crossfades and audio tweaking (essentially: mastering) and created the album master as a second generation source.  Presumably he only used the LCR mix on the 2" and never did anything with the raw multitrack.

The storage of all these elements is then a big question mark.

In 1986, they found one of the 35mm mags in a leaky editing room, unclear if it was the untouched rolls or the edited rolls.  Presumably it was the unedited rolls, because the 1993 box set used a lot of wrong takes throughout, seemingly indicating they didn't have access to the already-performance-edited takes.  They also seemingly didn't have access to the alternate binary sunset though, so it doesn't seem that they found a complete set of the untouched 35mm.

The 16 track 2" tapes seems to have gone into two separate places - one place had all performance edited cues [what John Neal had at one point], a second location has all the unselected takes [what they used to grab the Binary Sunset alt as well as anything missing or damaged on the 35mm source, for the 1997 SE set.]

In 2017 when preparing the 2018 demasters, it seems they transferred a 1/4" source for SW, though it's unclear exactly what that's all about.

And it remains unclear where the 2" of the performance-edited cues went.  Maybe John Neal never gave it back!

Are you talking about the bonus disc that came with the ROTS OST?

I think all Sony Classical ever had was the digital masters for the 1997 sets, and the original album masters.

It's only been the teams that worked on the 1993 anthology, 1997 sets, and 2018 demasters that did restoration work on old elements.  Sony Classical just released what they were given

• 1 month later...

In the latest episode of Maurizio's The Legacy of John Williams podcast, Mike Matessino talks about Can You Read My Mind cane about for Superman, and is very interesting.  I think it's been known before that they wanted it to be sung onscreen instead of only spoken, but MM talks about how Donner only wanted it sung in the movie if Margot Kidder herself sung it, and no one else.  MM reveals that Margot's attempts to sing it were recorded, and that he has heard them, and that the recording includes JW in the booth with her, helping her out. 

The other really interesting bit of information that I do not believe was publicly known before, is that the orchestral backing behind "Can You Read My Mind" was NOT recorded with the LSO at all, but was recoded in LA with Jim Thatcher playing!

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2022/01/29/remembering-leslie-bricusse/

The Superman discussion begins about 1 hour, 16 minutes in, but the entire episode is well worth a listen!