RUMOR: John Williams plans to retire in 2019

Ricard

7 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Which has basically been what he's done for over ten years now.

True, although he did sort of commit himself to the sequel trilogy in 2013. We’ll never see anything like that anymore I guess.

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

You're absolutely right, of course, but in this circumstance? We ain't talkin' about the Pentagon Papers, this story just reeks. So this anonymous associate of John Williams heard him talk by the coffee dispenser and thought, "Damn, I need to leak this important news to someone...a Harry Potter fan site, that's it! They're the only ones I can trust." And then this website is a little chubby cherub wanting to put its fingers in the lemon pie, eager to shout "Hey everybody, exclusive news!...But I did, I did taw a John Willums wetiuh!"

I'm the kind of person who doesn't reject this stuff out of hand, so I always grant more than 0% of this being legitimate, but nothing here adds up.

Why does it reek? This board will eat up any rumor about a soundtrack release but this is crossing the line? 

46 minutes ago, Loert said:

Perhaps he will turn towards dictation.

JW: "JJ baby, would you kindly put a fortissimo 2nd inversion B/GbM7#5 on beat two with an Eb whole-step/half-step octatonic scale in the-..."

JJ: "Wait, WHAT?"

Hey, maybe then JJ wouldn't tinker with the film so much!

4 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Why does it reek? This board will eat up any rumor about a soundtrack release but this is crossing the line? 

I already explained why. None of that strikes you as suspect? I don't really pay attention to release rumors (I've purchased five albums from specialty labels in total), and I don't understand why that's relevant to the point at hand...although yes, I would say an "exclusive", "confirmed" rumor of a legendary composer's total retirement from his loved profession is on a different level than JFK or some James Horner cartoon score getting a special edition release or something. 

I could see him retiring from conducting. His Tanglewood concert has already been scheduled for next year, and all he’ll be doing is speaking (and that may be only the introduction).

Makes me concerned for the Boston concerts in May/June. It’d be great to see him in person again regardless, but to not see him conduct again would be a shame.

21 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Guys, he's 86 years old. He has to stop composing one day, it's just fair and logical.

He will stop composing when he starts to decompose

Since this is Ricard’s website, I take this post a bit more seriously than I would if any of the other members, outside of Jason, posted it. 

He’s 86, he’s earned the right to walk away. He’s not superhuman. He could live well into his 100’s for all we know but age takes its toll. 

31 minutes ago, TGP said:

Yes and as others have said I think it would obviously apply to his film work only unless there is some physical impediment to his continuing at all.  For any concerned or saddened at the idea I have lately discovered the profound importance in valuing the simple existence of a thing rather than its permanence or impermanence.   A simple lesson but one which many of us still need to learn the hard way it seems.

Wayne Shorter told me once, "Keep your eyes on the constant and not on the temporary". John Williams, over the decades, has carved a river of music that shall always flow, this I believe with absolute conviction. There's so much to draw from, explore, and redefine, I think we'll be alright. 

3 hours ago, TGP said:

For any concerned or saddened at the idea I have lately discovered the profound importance in valuing the simple existence of a thing rather than its permanence or impermanence.

Carpe Diem?

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Yes and as others have said I think it would obviously apply to his film work only unless there is some physical impediment to his continuing at all.  For any concerned or saddened at the idea I have lately discovered the profound importance in valuing the simple existence of a thing rather than its permanence or impermanence.   A simple lesson but one which many of us still need to learn the hard way it seems.

But is he doing Indana Jones and star Wars sequels!?! 😱😰:eh:

I don't trust the rumor it seems more likely that they have misinterpreted Williams' declarations regarding his retire from 'Star Wars'. I think he will continue working with Spielberg for sure.

As others have mentioned, this rumor conflicts with what Williams has stated many times in the past in regards to retiring.  If this rumor was related to a health issue, then its certainly understandable.  However, it doesn't seem to be related to any health issues since he still plans to do IX (as far as we know) which will not be an easy feat with Abrams in charge and because of the short schedule if he isn't able to start writing until next spring.  I believe he also confirmed doing Indy 5 unless if something has changed since.

On 12/23/2018 at 11:26 AM, Remco said:

’Resume touring schedule’?! They don’t know what they’re talking about. I can’t take this seriously.

The most logical thing is that JW, after Ep IX, will just sign on with whatever he feels like doing and is comfortable to work with, without committing himself to long-term projects.

"Touring schedule" was a poor choice of words on my part. I meant to relay that he recovered quickly enough to resume his regular activities. An American playing the Royal Albert Hall qualifies as a tour stop, in my book, even though he had to cancel.

This is interesting, and DID NOT come to pass:

John Williams hopes to return for final 'Potter'
https://hpana.com/news/20163

"In a lecture to fans recently, John Williams said "with confidence" that he thinks he will be back to score the final Harry Potter movie, according to a report."

That "report," coincidentally, came from JWFan.

So, we can't really even believe JW himself until he's able to sit down and do it... I guess?

On 12/23/2018 at 4:00 AM, King Mark said:

I hope it's not true, it would be sad for all of us.

Not for me. He should have officially retired years ago. He's nearly 90 years old.

I don't believe there's any truth to this rumour, but even if it should turn out to be true (always a possibility), I find that I wouldn't feel devastated, or even angry. 

Just a sort of resigned melancholy for an era past, and immense gratitude for the music that JW gave us....