RUMOR: John Williams plans to retire in 2019

Ricard

23 hours ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

I want John Powell to score Indy 5 and Katie McGrath as Mindy Jones. Harrison Ford can cameo as her grandpa.

And I want the villain to be evil dr Henrike Johansson Jr. in black gear. Climactic fight between the characters with incidental music by Rachel Portman. 

Have you ever seen a whip duel?

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Would be great if the JWFan social media team could stop posting photos of him as part of a “year in review”, I keep doing a double take and thinking he’s died!

Well now you know that's not the reason. But don't worry, your nightmare will be over before New Year's Eve ;)

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Would be great if the JWFan social media team could stop posting photos of him as part of a “year in review”, I keep doing a double take and thinking he’s died!

Same here!

• 2 months later...

So... not to stir the pot again or anything... But we just got another confirmation that our December exclusive was indeed accurate.

We're working on background right now and will post to our site & social media (and probably here) when finished.

"Retire" is a loaded and ambiguous word, and I realize that now. It was pointed out here that Williams himself intends to write music until the very end. He's already cut back on conducting (right?), so I am guessing after his Disney Star Wars work is completed this year, he will take a big step back from composing major projects (film or otherwise). That's not to say he'll never, ever compose another score for anything... nobody knows that except JW. And, of course, when Indy 5 finally comes to fruition (now slated for 2021), he might still do that for Spielberg. But Indy 5 was ORIGINALLY supposed to be in theaters a few months from now. That's a pretty significant delay.

More soon!

[Edited to remove outdated reference to JW saying in an interview he would stop composing Star Wars music.]

41 minutes ago, Wizarding News said:

So... not to stir the pot again or anything... But we just got another confirmation that our December exclusive was indeed accurate.

Our confirmation is separate from this news (announced by Williams himself last week in an interview): John Williams to quit scoring Star Wars films

That link is from March 2018

20 minutes ago, dougie said:

Such a rookie mistake, not checking the timestamp!

All I can say about that one is, "Oops!"

Thankfully, it is irrelevant because we have our own, separate confirmation, provided exclusively to us by a trusted source. That is the news I was reporting today.

[Edit: I also wouldn't stake our reputation on a major scoop like this unless I firmly believed it was true, but I understand that leaves it up to you to believe us. We've been wrong in the past, but much more often have been right. Have reported on Wizarding World happenings for almost 17 years now, in close coordination with the franchise creators.]

31 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

It was confirmed just recently by Mike Matessino that JW isn't planning to retire neither from Star Wars nor from anything else altogether.

Can you link me to such information? I searched here and on Google and didn't see anything recent. If what Matessino said was before December 21, 2018 then it's not up-to-date.

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

He said it in a podcast on the new LLL Superman set, so quite recently.

I think I found said podcast -- https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2019/02/18/mike-matessino-superman-part-1/ and https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2019/02/25/mike-matessino-superman-part-2/ ?

They didn't say anything about Star Wars or retirement in their text posts, so I guess I'll have to listen to the podcast to find what you said.  Any idea of a timestamp (or even which part)? Thanks.

23 minutes ago, Wizarding News said:

I think I found said podcast -- https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2019/02/18/mike-matessino-superman-part-1/ and https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2019/02/25/mike-matessino-superman-part-2/ ?

They didn't say anything about Star Wars or retirement in their text posts, so I guess I'll have to listen to the podcast to find what you said.  Any idea of a timestamp (or even which part)? Thanks.

Check part 1 around 48:10

The podcast was recorded a month ago.

25 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Check part 1 around 48:10

The podcast was recorded a month ago.

Okay, I just listened and found it interesting, thanks.

Our source, who also personally knows JW, said something entirely different to us in both December and again this week.

Time will tell. 

(For the record, and I think I've said this before: Long prior to Harry Potter I was a huge John Williams fan. I played trumpet for 10 years because of his scores; I listened to his E.T. and Superman soundtracks in bed every night as a child. I was drum major of our 120-member marching band in high school. Of all the unbelievable things I've been lucky enough to do thanks to Harry Potter, one of the best moments of my LIFE was simply seeing John Williams in person conduct a Harry Potter medley [at the opening of the theme park in Florida; I also met J.K. Rowling, talked to her and shook hands at the same event, and yet just SEEING JW with my own eyes was the greater moment for me]. I would like nothing more than to have new John Williams music forever and ever. I'm not rooting for him to retire, just relaying the news.)

2 hours ago, Wizarding News said:

"Retire" is a loaded and ambiguous word, and I realize that now. It was pointed out here that Williams himself intends to write music until the very end. He's already cut back on conducting (right?), so I am guessing after his Disney Star Wars work is completed this year, he will take a big step back from composing major projects (film or otherwise). That's not to say he'll never, ever compose another score for anything... nobody knows that except JW. And, of course, when Indy 5 finally comes to fruition (now slated for 2021), he might still do that for Spielberg. But Indy 5 was ORIGINALLY supposed to be in theaters a few months from now. That's a pretty significant delay.

More soon!

You're guessing? The above is a world away from what you first posted. Newsflash: 86-year-old man works a little less maybe.

That's not to say he'll never, ever compose another score for anything... nobody knows that except JW

I thought your source knew? Honestly, your last posts don't really give credence to your first post. Opposite actually.

12 minutes ago, pete said:

You're guessing? The above is a world away from what you first posted. Newsflash: 86-year-old man works a little less maybe 

We have the statements that we have from the sources that came to us; some of it is reportable and some is not (for legal reasons). I don't claim to be a full-fledged journalist but I majored in Journalism in college and have been doing this for a long, long time. When I make a conjecture, I say so. That doesn't mean the news is inaccurate, just that the reasons may be unclear presently.

I think I'll stop posting here for now, but to reiterate: I would not stake my site's reputation (and my own) on this news if I were not convinced of its validity. It comes from a very trusted source. It may not come out all at once as a big official announcement tied up with a pretty bow on top, but something's coming this year. I sincerely appreciate the feedback from this forum.

Except actual official sources, including Mike Matessino and the Maestro himself, have contradicted your supposed “claims.” 

Well, there it is.

2 hours ago, pete said:

I thought your source knew? Honestly, your last posts don't really give credence to your first post. Opposite actually.

We have our sources and what they have told us. We 100% believe them.

I would not be so bold and confident about this news if I wasn't sure of it.  I am not JW, and neither is our source.  However, our source IS someone who works closely with JW.  There are also parts of this story I cannot report because it would not be appropriate at this time. (That doesn't make those facts or the rest of the story untrue, though.)

Once more, I am definitely not rooting for JW's retirement, just relaying what we know. And what we know is that well-known figures (e.g. Mike Mattesino) speaking on a podcast about their public work with JW is much different from us reporting with a trusted source who can speak openly because they have been granted anonymity.

You can believe what you like right now; the truth will come out in time. As with all media, you must make up your own mind on what sources to trust. Over our 16+ year history, we gained the respect of our many millions of visitors from every country and every continent on earth by demonstrating responsible, authoritative journalism.

Maybe we should all pop in our favorite JW album and just chill until then. 😌

44 minutes ago, Wizarding News said:

Great idea! I don't know why, but I'm in the mood to listen to JFK right now, especially this track for some reason: 

;)

1 hour ago, Wizarding News said:

Good advice. I was chilling though. I just didn't find the way you worded your post very convincing. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

"Trusted source"? Mike Matessino has personally worked with the Maestro. So, the fact that he clarified that John Williams has no plans to retire.

Our source is currently working with JW.  And I already agreed Matessino's statements in that podcast contradicted what we learned in December and reconfirmed today.  So... your point is you'd rather trust a named colleague of JW's, and I don't blame you. That's your absolute right.

In any case, I've already said my piece about this... I am confident in what we report, otherwise, it wouldn't be reported.  🌞

5 minutes ago, Kostov said:

No, no, and no!!! John Williams, please don't stop, you're my soul energy. 😰😰😰

Let's be real, though, how many film scores would this supposed retirement take from us?

Outside of the film world, he seems to be getting his hands busy with all these new arrangements for Anna Sophie-Mutter, etc. This is the aspect of his work that I don't see stopping, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it continue at a more or less steady pace.

12 hours ago, Wizarding News said:

All I can say about that one is, "Oops!"

Thankfully, it is irrelevant because we have our own, separate confirmation, provided exclusively to us by a trusted source. That is the news I was reporting today.

You are reporting rumors. It would be "news" if JW or his management had made an official statement, and if you had made an interview with him (for example) about what he plans to do next, since he has repeatedly stated that he plans to compose as long as he can. Personally, I would care about news, not about rumors.

12 hours ago, Wizarding News said:

[Edit: I also wouldn't stake our reputation on a major scoop like this unless I firmly believed it was true, but I understand that leaves it up to you to believe us. We've been wrong in the past, but much more often have been right. Have reported on Wizarding World happenings for almost 17 years now, in close coordination with the franchise creators.]

Even if the rumor turned out to be true (and then become "news"), it would not be a major scoop at all. Anyone could guess that an 87-year-old will soon retire from a physically demanding job such as film scoring, there's nothing earth-shattering about that.

24 minutes ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

Also this google thread from a miiiiiiillion years ago made me giggle, as it's the exact same argument.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.arts.sf.starwars/3DTy6lCkWGk

From that thread:

UGH!  Not this again....(sorry, this is not meant as a flame to you, it's just

that it annoys me when misinformation is spread...we end up spending weeks
repairing the damage.)

Williams has retired from conducting the BOSTON POPS ORCHESTRA (which he took
over from Arthur Fielding in 1980 or '81).   He HAS NOT retired from writing
musical scores for films.  As a matter of fact, one of the reasons he quit the
Boston Pops is so that he could write MORE musical scores.

So far, so good. But then:

No one is sure if

Williams will write the new Star Wars music, but he does have several projects
in the works right now.  He has scored Schindler's List for Spielberg, and will
score Wolf for Mike Nichols.   He also wrote the main and end titles for The
Flintstones next year.

I've heard the "John Williams Flintstones movie" rumor before but never heard anything about him writing main/end titles cues (and that post makes it sound like he had already done it).  They decided to go with the original theme song for both right?

1 hour ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

Also this google thread from a miiiiiiillion years ago made me giggle, as it's the exact same argument.

What a great find! I remember reading the news of JW's total retirement in newspapers and magazines back in '93. Funny how history repeats itself!

12 hours ago, Score said:

You are reporting rumors.

I'll just leave this here, since nobody seemed to notice:

20 hours ago, Wizarding News said:

There are also parts of this story I cannot report because it would not be appropriate at this time. (That doesn't make those facts or the rest of the story untrue, though.)

The short of it is: We have an authoritative source, someone who is currently working with JW, which I was able to independently verify. I double-confirmed what the source said.

I'm not going to keep repeating myself; everything is in this thread already...

Only time will prove us right or wrong, so can we please stop arguing until then? 😘 

Why are you nagging about this if you can't even reveal your so-called source?

2 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

Um, I don't think Google groups existed in '93...