THE ORVILLE - Music Discussion (Bruce Broughton, Joel McNeely, John Debney, Andrew Cottee, Kevin Kaska)

Ollie

Yea that's basically confirmation that Goldwasser's producing and its digital only, which likely means the 4 1/2 hour comment was about this too. That should mean most scores will be complete or close to it 

No CD? seriously? Come on. All this talk of Seth being a traditionalist and his incredibly classic and traditional filmmaking on the Orville, especially with the music appreciation, and then he goes and releases a score without physical media?! I'm sick of this destruction of the physical world. Everything doesn't bloody exist anymore.

No doubt we'll never get Season 3 on DVD either because of damm streaming services.

BULLSH*T

3 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

🙄 I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that you’re just really uninformed, and inform you: THE FIRST TWO VOLUMES SOLD TERRIBLY FOR LA-LA LAND. Like, they didn’t break even. They LOST MONEY. They discounted that packed two CD set to $10 ($5 a disc) and they’re still sitting on a bunch of copies. The first season sold so poorly they said they weren’t going to release the second season for the longest time. But they loved the show and its score so much that they changed their minds and went ahead anyway and did it, and then lost a bunch of money again for their trouble. Again after hugely discounting they’re sitting on a ton of copies. So please try to realize in the real world, being serious is exactly what they are doing. A CD release is apparently non-viable because of US film music fans just not supporting the releases in great enough numbers.

What on EARTH is the connection between using classic and traditional filmmaking techniques on The Orville, and insisting on putting out a score release on a plastic disc? The two are entirely unconnected, logically speaking, but you’re trying to make Seth out to be some sort of hypocrite because no label is willing to lose a boatload of money on a physical season 3 score release?

Of course it exists. A digital lossless download purchase would still have the music in the same quality as CD (or possibly better!), you would still OWN it (unlike if you’re streaming it)… you just wouldn’t be holding a plastic CD in your hands. And yeah, I’d like to see a nice third spine on my shelf and have season 3 side by side with the first two seasons’ music as well. But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t EXIST. It will exist as a musical release JUST as much as if a CD was produced… in fact possibly even *more* of it will exist because it sounds like it’ll be 4.5 hours worth which I doubt would be the case if some film music label was unwise enough to be putting this out on CD again (at 4CDs they’d be losing even MORE boatloads of money). You know CDs themselves just contain the same lossless audio files, right? They’re just a different delivery method to the consumer, born long before the internet. But the music itself is just as “physical” (or not) either way, and you own it just as much.

“damm streaming services” (specifically Hulu) are literally the only reason you HAVE a season 3 of The Orville.

But no, why don’t you bitch at them for something that hasn’t even happened yet. DVD sales of the show are an entirely different matter from CD sales of the music. And if a season 3 DVD doesn’t come you can bet it’s because people didn’t buy the first two seasons that way. And by the way, the DVD releases look like shit compared to even streaming versions of the episodes (which are in HD). Blu-ray is what you should be complaining about.

Yavar

Round of applause! Perfect response. If this were the 90s we might not even get any kind of release or only get 30 minutes... even 2 hours (like for the seasons 1 and 2) digitally would be a terrific release, any more is just a bonus really. Can't wait!

Everything I said makes sense. Streaming services are the death of physical media because people have been trained to not want to own physical copies anymore, as it's all on a platform, thus things are forced to go onto it or die, because their current home is killed by streaming, and therefore they are never released for people to own.

My argument is not directly at the non-release of this one score. I didn't know they lost money. So that is understandable. But my argument is at the reason why they lost money. And that is because of the state of media release in general. It's an overall complaint at this state we are in, where people are being conditioned to not physically own anything anymore. Everything is slowly disappearing to places where you wont own anything and a company can just change and take back what they want, even if you bought it.

Soon we will have no DVD's, CD's etc and it'll all be digital purchase that they will probably stop you from downloading, so you have to listen to it on THEIR platform and they can change or remove it at will. That has already happened with streaming. I have to have netflix if I want to watch Stranger Things for example, and watch it exclusively on there. I can never own my own copy.

That is what makes me mad.  

Yeah, but that's also ignoring the reality that everyone avoids talking about with media these days. While there is an argument about physical media and being able to keep the thing when stores go down, or just when a piece of media is removed from a download or streaming service, we all know that EVERYTHING from movies, music, TV, games, etc are all way more accessible than they've ever been.

Even when they're taken down from services.

Also, was The Orville ever gonna be that big a seller if this was a market that leaned on physical media above all else? The only way to know for sure is if they risked doing a limited LP run, as otherwise this is maybe not the property to be making these arguments about if even Star Trek can struggle to sell some of their music releases (as far as I am aware).

36 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

I have to have netflix if I want to watch Stranger Things for example, and watch it exclusively on there. I can never own my own copy.

Everytime I go to Target I see Stranger Things blu rays for sale. 

Season 1 and 2 are being sold on Blu-ray and 4K according to Bluray.com, but only those two seasons.

https://www.blu-ray.com/search/?quicksearch=1&quicksearch_country=US&quicksearch_keyword=stranger+things&section=bluraymovies

I am sure we'll find out when it's coming via some official way before someone stumbles upon it on a music service unannounced

• 2 weeks later...

I'm verry happy that we are getting a release and that he does keep us updated. But I do want to point out again that I find it weird that the releases of all 3 seasons take so long and have so much secrecy around them.

Does this have to do with it being multiple composers or with money?

"so much secrecy around them"?

What makes The Orville different in terms of what we know before announcement compared to any other album?

I might have formulated it wrong.

I mean that all 3 scores take a very long time to get released, but we don't really know why that is. And when we do hear it gets released, we don't hear a date or when but it keeps being a big vague.

I'm not upset about it and I'm very grateful that we are getting, as it now seems, a very long release. But I did wonder why with this show (and to be fair) some other shows with popular scores it takes a while for things to get released.

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea it'd be interesting to learn more about these projects from the people who work on them

It does seem a strikingly different approach to those shows releasing full scores for each episode the same week it comes out. I guess every show has its own production schedule but I can’t believe the level of post production complexity for the Orville is on a materially different level than Rings of Power etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's another company's version of Shazam

It identifies music playing in your browser, if that music is in their database.

Obviously, only commercially released music is in their database. 

So, nothing from Orville season 3 would have been in their database, until Hollywood Records gave the new album to them.

The "You'll Never Walk Alone" cue is apparently called "Kelly Invites Topa," and is credited to Kaska (thought it was Cottee).

7 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'm going through every individual cue from every episode right now.

So far it looks to be around 6-7 tracks per episode, or around 20-25 minutes on average per episode.

And for 10 episodes, that basically lines up with the rumored 4 hours of music.